A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 Transmission Whine

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not fixed

Ok, so it is not fixed... i think that my torque converter is going bad and I am continuing to have gear change quirks so I am thinking I will drive it until it dies and then get the tranny replaced
Old 03-13-2009, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ^"drive it until it dies^ - in my case, whirring arose (unrelated to any fluid change) about...

...when the weather turned cold - Nov. maybe.

It's dying a slow but certain death now in March, with the 1-2 shift being pretty wonk'd and it slipping in 3rd (and sometimes 4/5) if I hit the gas hard. Sometimes 1st isn't there for a briefbrief second. Spooky.

I prolly shouldacouldawoulda checked me fluid, but your experience is telling. I figured what the hey I have a warranty, a decision proving mixed result.

Questions:

- miles?

- What prompted you to touch the fluid / filter?

- Where you located?

I vowed I wasn't touching my "lifetime" fluid and would just see what happened. 132.5k today, and, "this" is what happened.

Best of luck to you, that's unfortunate. Don't ask my status / action plan yet as it's still unfurling and there are many complex datapoints involved...
Old 03-13-2009, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: ^"drive it until it dies^ - in my case, whirring arose (unrelated to any fluid change) about...

The car has 70K

I change the fluid because the transmission was starting to have some 'searching for a gear' issues.

I am located in Dallas, TX
Old 03-13-2009, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wow, that's low miles for 'that', again sorry to hear. I'm jealous...

...you're in TX!!! Long story - email me for details if you'd like / are bored / are nuts (I am).

Like I said before and others have noted, rebuild is ~ $4k (installed), and I was rather surprised to learn my local stealer offers reconditioned units @ like $4,400 or so (no labor just box). Apparently they dropped their price from like $8k a year or so prior.

Do you have any warranty? If not, well... mebbe it's time to buy one, 'ensure' your pre-coverage inspection is a 'pass', then ride out the whirring 4-6mo. and *BLAMMO*.

Just sayin' - not that I'd condone that or anything...
Old 03-13-2009, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Wow, that's low miles for 'that', again sorry to hear. I'm jealous...

Fortunatly I have a warranty... however it does not go into effect for a few weeks. I pray that the transmission will last long enough. Believe it or not it is like winter in Texas right now... about 38F outside
Old 03-13-2009, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

2nd. That is most certainly the problem.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well that's good to hear - good for you. Baby 1st / 2nd until then and...

...try to take another car or avoid uneccessary driving as much as you can and buy as much time as you're able.

Are you sure it's full now? As others have said here, the filling procedure is very specific and very temperature dependent. Maybe check it again (cold).

Oh, and... I wasn't jealous of the TX temps... email me ;-).
Old 03-17-2009, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pkrasusky
...try to take another car or avoid uneccessary driving as much as you can and buy as much time as you're able.

Are you sure it's full now? As others have said here, the filling procedure is very specific and very temperature dependent. Maybe check it again (cold).

Oh, and... I wasn't jealous of the TX temps... email me ;-).
I am going to let it cool overnight and try adding more fluid but I am pretty sure it is full.

So PM about your TX experience
Old 05-15-2017, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default low fluid will make it whine

I just did a trans filter/fluid change and was a litre low when I originally thought it was full-
I went by the book- had OBDEleven watching the trans temp and had the car idling in park and filling the trans till it came out the fill plug. Shut off the car, put the cross member back in, dropped the car on the ground and took it for a test drive and immediately it whined...only in gear though....put it in park and rev engine and no whine...by the time I got it home (20 minute ride) the whine was faint but still present...let the car cool off for a day or so and started it up and it whined again while cold...then it warmed up and the whine was faint.
..Long story short I put the car back in the air- let it cool to about 100F took the fill plug out and nothing came out....it took another litre! started it up again and kept adding (only took a 1/8th litre more and came out the plug)

Issue was an ID10T issue.
I mis read little drips coming out of the fill plug to mean full. Good news is I can return the new filter and Oring and pan gasket I got at the stealer because Its not a collapsed filter or a bad Oring or the pan too close to the filter pickup...It was just low fluid.
Now there's no more whine and the trans shifts smooth and goes in and out of gear very soft...It does seem to very slightly clung into neutral when coming to a stop once in a while....not sure what thats about and it did it before I changed the filter.