A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 in the U.S., unless.......

Old 10-19-1999, 06:14 PM
Bill Mills

Default Re: Who cares about the winter.... I do, I do!!!

Speaking for my self and other people I know and run into I don't have $70,000 to spend on an A8(in reallity they run around $60,000 with current incentives). Nor do I, or they, necessarily have another $60,000+ to spend on two other vehicles to pick from depending whether it's raining or sunny or snowing. I recently bought an A8 but was not planning on it. I was actually looking at the A6 2.7 T and a pre owned 540. The 540 was eliminated due to winter driving conditions in this area. The day I went to the Audi dealership there happened to be a fully loaded '97 A8 which had only 9,000 miles on it and an in service date of November of '97 so there was over a year left on the factory warranty and free scheduled service. It had been through the Audi Assured program so it would be covered until November of 2002 for repair service and was a good $15,000 less than a '99 A8, of which they had none, and about the same price as an equaly equiped A6. (Actually there are features on the A8, aside from the aluminum, that are just not available on the A6.) Kind of a no brainer. And with the money I didn't spend on a new A8 that I can leave in investments, I can pay for a few years of my kids college tuition, unless you're feeling philanthropic...... in which case I'll go buy an M Roadster (pre owned of course)for those days when the sun is shining.
Old 10-20-1999, 10:42 AM
JG

Default Good pick.....

that sounds like a good move on your part for getting the Audi, the decision for me was easy- don't have kids,so got an Mcoupe (If you haven't driven one of these things yet, go drive one)- you might set yourself up as being a glutton for punishment. Enjoy the A8.

JG
Old 10-21-1999, 06:33 AM
THE CAPTAIN

Re: Who cares about the winter....
Old 10-21-1999, 06:39 AM
THE CAPTAIN

Default Re: Who cares about the winter....

MOST OF US AUDI DRIVERS DON'T LIKE TO DRIVE A SPORT UTE(MILK TRUCK) IN THE
WINTER! WHY WOULD WE WHEN WE'VE GOT A LUXURY SNOWMOBILE ON WHEELS.
IF YOU WANT TO WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A FOUR RUNNER-HEY BY ALL MEANS GO AHEAD! OR MAYBE YOU DON'T HAVE THE ***** TO TAKE YOUR BMW FOR A WINTER
RIP!!!
Old 10-21-1999, 07:51 AM
Wondering

Not a nice question to ask or are questioning JG's honesty?
Old 10-21-1999, 12:59 PM
Martin VW

Excuse my ignorance, what's the diff betw. E39 M5 and E34 M5? Which is the '00?
Old 10-21-1999, 01:09 PM
bill mills

Default Re: Good pick.....

Well in your case, your cars are your kids and there is nothing wrong with that. And hey, if I were to come into a wad of cash, I'd get second car in a heartbeat (not a truck though, I just got rid of a Tahoe when I got the A8, never again will I own something that big. As I mentioned, the M roadster would be the likely candidate.
Is the M coupe you are refering to the hardtop Z3 or are you talking about a 2 door M3?
Old 10-21-1999, 01:47 PM
KJK

E34=89-94 5 Series; E39=97--> 5 Series, yes no such thing as 1996 5 series BMW (eom)
Old 10-21-1999, 05:51 PM
JG

Default Re: Good pick.....

Right the first time, its the hatchback version of the MRoadster- looks like a VW on
tons of steroids. Yeah, those Tahoe's are big (Denalis, Escalade, Navigator, Expedition)-
all too big and eat way too much gas- how about that new Excursion, 19 feet long and weighs
7500 pounds- that thing shouldn't even be street legal.
Old 10-21-1999, 06:00 PM
JG

Default Oh please....

get a grip, why would I want to take my BMW out for a winter drive- when I consider it to be
a toy (doesn't go out in the rain, snow, etc)- sits and collects dust until it gets nice out.
Having a 4wheel drive truck is great (space, traction, driving over things)- whatever, its not my only car. Well, I guess its true- they do promote idiots to Captain status..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S8 in the U.S., unless.......