A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 Unitronic Tune DONE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds definitely worth getting a tune. I recently purchased a 01 S8, and although definitely an upgrade to the 00 A8L I had before, but getting another 22 HP and better throttle response would be awesome.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing to consider, Unitronic has stopped carrying the U-Connect Cable where one could purchase their cable and tune their own cars with the stage 1 or stage 1+...that U-Connect cable is usually $150 but due to the age of these cars now, they stopped carrying them...

I bought the ECU Flash and also the cable but after 6 months of getting nothing from it, they contacted me and stated I would need to drive 10 hours away to the closest Unitronic dealer...so I ended up getting a refund...I WISH I could have gotten everything and there was a tuner closer but that's the state of reality. If you find a way to throw a tune on with a rented cable, let me know!!
Old 09-21-2019, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Interesting, I'll have to check with local tuners to see if it's possible. I know the A4/S4 are popular to tune/mod so will have to see if they even have done an S8 since kind of rare especially where I live I never see another.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Unitronic

Avant1522 - I'd bet a bottle of Pentosin that your supercharger sound can be traced to a failing fan bearing.
I too have done the Unitronic tune in my 03 S8. I have 151k on the clock, with perhaps 3k since the tune. I will concur with the stated improvements. I describe it as going from a smooth powerhouse to slightly unhinged.. Throttle response is tremendous.
Unitronic states a possibile mpg improvement but who would drive these like a hypermiler? I have a Ram Ecodiesel for driving like a grandpa..
Old 10-02-2019, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PTS Power
Avant1522 - I'd bet a bottle of Pentosin that your supercharger sound can be traced to a failing fan bearing.
I too have done the Unitronic tune in my 03 S8. I have 151k on the clock, with perhaps 3k since the tune. I will concur with the stated improvements. I describe it as going from a smooth powerhouse to slightly unhinged.. Throttle response is tremendous.
Unitronic states a possibile mpg improvement but who would drive these like a hypermiler? I have a Ram Ecodiesel for driving like a grandpa..
Supercharger?
Old 03-31-2020, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zipdoa
After reading this thread last night, I called my local dealer and got the Unitronic Stage 1 - it does make a noticeable difference. If you don't turn green at the cost, you will enjoy the improvement.

FWIW - I asked for Stage 1+ but they didn't have a file for my car. It's a 2003 Audi S8 so I was surprised. I wonder which vehicles are applicable?
Hello,

I'm glad to hear your upgrade went well. I'm in a bit of a dilemma, I'm no where near a dealer, so I've been trying to find a cable to DIY. I've used VAG COM on my various Audi platforms for years, so I'm not shy about it. Unitronic would sell me the stage 1+ bits (https://www.getunitronic.com/ecu-tun...003-stage1plus) under the current "stay at home" sale, but I can't find a UNICONNECT (UH007-TLA) cable to upload the bits to my ECU.

If anyone's reading this, and has a cable to loan I'm paying shipment both ways. I'm open to a purchase too.....

TIA,
Old 04-01-2020, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They are not making the cable anymore so finding one will pose a problem. I called all the Unichip reseller shops around North America and even asked to pay full price for their used cable that I assume they no longer use...everyone said no, sorry. That was 2 years ago but now, with the current world situation, perhaps is a great time to find a shop that's willing to let-go of the infamous cables so you don't have to ship your ECU off...though, that might be a faster approach...

Whatever you decide to do, keep this thread open for reference to others! I wish I didn't have to be refunded on the Unichip flash but without the cable, driving 8 hours one way wasn't going to work...
Old 04-01-2020, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I did the unitronic tune, went and met up with a fellow d2 s8 owner.. I had stage 1+.
The cars were dead even, the only difference was quicker throttle response.
I opted for the 14 day money back and flashed back to stock and was able to get my $600 back.
It does nothing for power, it's the equivalent of a sprint booster.

It definitely made the accelerator more responsive, but worth $500+ - NOPE.

-Richard

The following users liked this post:
SC_09iduA (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by audinutt
I did the unitronic tune, went and met up with a fellow d2 s8 owner.. I had stage 1+.
The cars were dead even, the only difference was quicker throttle response.
I opted for the 14 day money back and flashed back to stock and was able to get my $600 back.
It does nothing for power, it's the equivalent of a sprint booster.

It definitely made the accelerator more responsive, but worth $500+ - NOPE.

-Richard
This doesn't surprise me. Glad you got the money back and thanks for updating us all.

The S8 engine is kind of maxed out. 360HP from 4.2L is quite good even for today. It took 5 years, FSI and many mechancial changes to get more power out the NA 4.2 that was found in the RS5. Manufactures have rung all they can out of their production pieces. Case in point... There's a lot more dyno testing available for all to see on the LS engine platform. A factory LS3 intake flows the best, Aftermarket items make slightly more power above 6500 RPM with a considerable sacrifice to low end power.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you advocating a LS Swap, a bit more than $600.00? The intake runners look sorta similar.......

Quick Reply: S8 Unitronic Tune DONE!!!