A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 will come to N. America

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2000, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Founder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S8 will come to N. America

I have confirmed through the Audi grapevine that the S8 will come to the US (not sure about Canada) as a 2001 model. Only 400 are being set aside for the US, so they will be extremely rare and limited. Expect a late 2000 build date and deliveries early next year.

No further details yet...<p>Jason E. Teller
<a href="https://www.audiworld.com/info/contact.html">AudiWorld Editor</a>
'00 Silver S4
Old 04-19-2000, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stick?
Old 04-20-2000, 11:51 AM

Default Re: S8 will come to N. America

The S8 is confirmed for 2001 for both US and Canadian markets.
Stock seats will be Recaro with "comfort" seats as an option.
The S8 will be Tiptronic only with steering wheel controls.
Old 04-20-2000, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh, PLEASE

Uuh... did I read that right? If the S8 is a tip only that will be a major disappointment. I think all the S-Cars should offer a manual. If not, take the S away and buy an A8! Same thing, if and when the S6 comes over.

>>Muhammad
Old 04-20-2000, 03:54 PM

No stick, 360HP, shorter final drive ratio than EU models, at dealers in Feb-Mar '01
Old 04-20-2000, 10:12 PM

Default I agree.

I will not buy an S8 if I can't get a stick. I would save my money and maybe bolt a supercharger on my A8. The thing that makes the S8 special is that it is a manual in a large, luxury sedan. People who would never buy stick would never look past the A8 to begin with. Why are car makers so blind and silly?
Old 04-21-2000, 12:33 AM

Default Re: I agree.

It's the perception of what the American Market wants although I agree as well. Ship a few six speeds so at least it's an available option/choice.
Old 04-21-2000, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There is NO point...

To bring the S8 to the US if that's all it can offer. They will probably even rip the chrome mirrors in the process, so you have an A8 with +50HP, some recaro seats, avus wheels, and the changed suspension & final drive. Oh, the sport steering wheel and carbon fiber trim, can't forget that! This will add what, $10,000-$15,000 to the price? Like Bart said, save some money and add those few features to an A8. Hell, even go get a set of S8 badges and a grille if you're that concerned!

I'm just preparing for the longer rant I'll have if and when the S6 is announced without a 6-speed.

>>Muhammad
Old 04-21-2000, 06:05 AM

Default They're 'blind and silly' because of EPA certification costs (a diatribe follows)

Emissions validation of a major deviation (i.e. transmission) of an already certified car is expensive. Multiple cars have to be run (how many depends on the comfort level and DFs the manufacturer requires internally), most manufacturers use the 100,000 mile point for mileage accumulation for each vehicle.

Add in salaries for drivers, dyno techs, maintenance techs, emission engineers, facility and management burden and the cost of certifying an additional transmission can very easily top $5.5 million. For some manufacturers the number is nearly double that figure. VAG is not one of those.

BMWNA was trying to bring in a 6-speed manual 540i wagon when that bodystyle was introduced in the States in 1998. They already had both the 6-speed 540i sedan and 540iA wagon validated. But when it came time to do the business case for the car, the manual wagon would have had to carry another couple of grand premium over the difference between a 540iA sedan and 540i manual.

Do the math. Assuming base equipment parity with an M5 or E55, the S8 could carry a base sticker of around $77,900 to $78,900. At that price I would consider an S8. Actually, I'll probably pop for one next Autumn.

But, like you, I'd love a 6-speed A8. Many of the people on this forum that would like an S8 would probably prefer a manual. So what does that total? Thirty-five? Fifty? Go out on a limb and assume 500 people across the country would opt for a manual S8. With a median cert cost of $5.5 million, manual S8s would have to carry an $11,000 price premium to cover certification expenses. To Hell with profit. Knocking on the door of $90,000 and suddenly the S8 isn't as interesting as a "heavily breathed on" M5.

Last calendar year AoA sold, in round numbers, 2,500 A8s in the U.S. If the 6-speed accounted for 500 sales (20%) that would be nearly twice as many manuals (by percent contribution) than BMW can maintain with the 540i self-shifter.

I'd love one. I think they should do it and eat the loss of the few manuals they'd sell for image reasons alone, but I can't see it happening. With Dr. Piech's profitability hurdles that all VAG's sister companies have to operate under, a loss of over five million dollars for a limited appeal model that has little hope of being a conquest model and isn't a Volkswagen branded product has a snowball's chance in Hell of landing here.

Even with a slushbucket, the S8 is still on my short list. I mean. it's not like the Tip is a trashy gearbox…

I'm going out for a drive so I can forget this talk of an automatic and use a clutch.

BTW Bart, we got our first Steak and Shake in the area, meebe I'll grab a chopped steak while I'm out.<p>2000 Nogaro/Silver - S4
The Chip!
UUC Shifter
UUC Exh
S-02 PP
Old 04-21-2000, 09:00 AM
mrw
AudiWorld Member

I agree! Its worthless without a Manual tranny

Quick Reply: S8 will come to N. America