A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Heating Element - leather burn and exposure

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Heating Element - leather burn and exposure

I've got seat heater burn-through on both of my A8's front seat bottoms that scorch thighs and prevent seat-heat use. I'd appreciate any wisdom from this great forum to help my bum stay warmer through the Winter.

The picture is driver's seat with red circles showing burns and the green shows the wire I've pulled out a bit for the pic.

What's the best route for someone who is trying to make it through the winter before a lower seat cover replacement? I don't have a VW or Audi dealership within days of my home (Juneau, Alaska). I was going to drive the A8 up to Anchorage and have the dealer fix it this past Summer but that didn't happen.

I saw in diagrams that the outer heating element loop connects to the inner heating element via a clip connector. Is it possible to disconnect the outer element and retain function of the inner heating element?
Are these inner/outer connections embedded in the seat or accessible from below?
Any hints or redirects to a better train of thought?
Bentley is pretty vague - Are mine bonded or pushed in elements?

Old 11-03-2012, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've never had a seat heat problem and have never seen one burn through like that, but from the Bentley wiring diagram alone (and I've seen the connection under each front seat), it appears that you could disconnect the side heater elements without disturbing the center ones...BUT it also appears that the top and bottom side elements are wired together(?).

Under the both seats, looks like wire connection #3 leads to lower seat side heater and connection #3 leads to the upper...both wires connected at the green 6 pin connector under the seat (accessible as I recall).

Generally, Audi puts tiny numbers at the connections on the plug...might need a magnifier to see em (?).

Disconnecting at the green connector may disable both top and bottom side elements, but hopefully not affect either of the centers(?).

All guessing on my part, but precisely the path I'd follow, for starts.

BUT ALSO, in the drawing below from ETKA parts catalog for 2000 A8, there appears to be other small individual connectors, not shown in Bentley wiring diagrams. Where these are located (easily accessible?), I do not know. Possibly following the correct connections back from the green plugs under the seats may lead to the smaller ones, to "maybe" disable able only the individual offending elements (?).

Hope this helps.

P.S. Good thing you're in the southern end of the state, where it never gets that cold ....sorry, kidding of course.

ETKA drawing >>>>>>>

Old 11-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Silver, it helps. I wish you could see the tiny sparks that the passenger seat throws along it's burnt section.

I am about to pull the driver's seat just to save my knees, elbows and neck but I won't be able to test unless it is in.

I unplugged some smaller connections under the seat but they didn't cause a change in heating elements. I made sure they weren't connected to seat controls. In fact, it appears that maybe ONLY the outside wires are heating, albeit with the scorching.

The Green was there but disconnecting stopped heating altogether. Individual wires may need to be pulled, eh?

Looking back at your diagram, the clips look different. I was going by this one from Audiusaparts:
Old 11-03-2012, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

- - " The Green was there but disconnecting stopped heating altogether. Individual wires may need to be pulled, eh? " - -

Not really...but could be clipped, then re-spliced if needed...out of view.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it's out in the hinterlands, but can you get a used set of front seats shipped to you?

That would be the easy fix v/s trying to re-wire burned up stuff that will most likely just continue to fail in my experience depending on the repairs and method used.

Shipping might be expensive, but if it replaces your seats with ones from the SouthWest, where the heaters are not used much, you might be better off in the long run.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks adjuster, was considering elaborating on the same subject.

In June I contacted Audi regarding the element issue and they gave me considerable confidence that if a dealer examined the seat damage and found it was a failure of the seat, not damage, Audi would replace the seat covers.

The problem, as mentioned earlier, is the distance, expense and effort to reach a dealer. Plus, the car would likely have to remain while seat covers are ordered, then installed.

If I could find Navy or Midnight Blue seat covers or even seat bottoms, I'm positive the price would be much cheaper than ferry round trip, 1500 driving miles, multiple overnights on road and week(s) on a buddy's couch. The parting out D2s of late have not been a match.

I never heard back from Shokan when I wrote them earlier this Summer... anyone know of a used parts seller that might pull covers and ship to AK. Bottoms could be shipped, entire seats might be getting expensive.

Is it possible to buy the seat cover in the right leather from Audi? It might end up being reasonable, considering.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Wow, PW, I am happy to hear Audi is taking some responsibility here. Did you buy the car new?

IIRC the B5 Passats (at least) had some seat heater issues that were repaired under "Good will" but no recall. In at least one case I saw on VWVortex or Passatworld, the seat actually caught fire.

On the B5 Passats the elements will not work if one is disconnected, FWIW. My driver's side bottom is kaput, and I would love it if only the lumbar area could be heated, since I have a sore back a lot, but I have researched it and it seems there is circuitry in the switch that prevents only one element from working.

New leather seat covers were around $1800 each for the B5, FWIW. Insane. Cloth was $800, IIRC (mine has the rarer heated cloth seats).

My assessment is this; you can either plan a vacation near an Audi dealer, which will easily cost you a couple grand for the week it'll take them to complete the repair; or pay (at least) the same $2000 for used leathers with new elements. I'd sure take the Audi option. Then it's done right and guaranteed.

-Tom

P.S., sorry to report Shokan has screwed the pooch on several transactions lately, you'd be wise to do a search here on AW and reassess them as a supplier. A8Parts.CO is in the UK but ships worldwide, and has a sterling reputation. They have a forum, too. They specialize in A8s so they will be able to get what you need and are reasonable.

P.P.S. to silverD2, I love your avatar/profile pic, every time I see it I want to tell you. Where are you in TN? I'm in Hendersonville.

EDIT - fixed the link.

Last edited by aTOMic; 11-06-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by aTOMic*

P.P.S. to silverD2, I love your avatar/profile pic, every time I see it I want to tell you. Where are you in TN? I'm in Hendersonville.

EDIT - fixed the link.
I'm in Gatlinburg, East TN, UST (United States of Tennessee...East, Middle & West) ...I can see North Carolina from my house

...Born and grew up in The Atomic City, Oak Ridge...I still glow in the dark
Old 11-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Atomic. Been doing some more digging regarding replacements.

The UK guys have a great selection, although it appears they don't ship internationally I am going to hit them up and see what help they might be.

Did the seats go through any changes in D2?

I've found some vehicles being parted out ( like http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ptd/3357919612.html) but I don't know the range of years that fit/match my 2000 A8.

I'm going to be doing some multimeter tests later today. May find something, may get a crick in my neck.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Follow-up FYI

After Audi tech at dealer examined the burnt seats and sent info to Audi USA, I received a repurchase offer and accepted the terms. There was no explanation other than it was an act of 'good will'.

Audi had the vehicle towed to a barge shipper and sent the A8 to Seattle, never to be seen again.

Will be looking for a replacement A8 over the winter and spring, so I'll be around.

Quick Reply: Seat Heating Element - leather burn and exposure