A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Heating Element - leather burn and exposure

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pwstein
Audi had the vehicle towed to a barge shipper and sent the A8 to Seattle, never to be seen again.
How funny is that!
Top secret seat heater failure!
Old 08-12-2013, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
How funny is that!
Top secret seat heater failure!
Good thing PW got it posted here before the Audi goons hit him with the Neuralyzer!!

Old 08-12-2013, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Follow-up FYI

After Audi tech at dealer examined the burnt seats and sent info to Audi USA, I received a repurchase offer and accepted the terms. There was no explanation other than it was an act of 'good will'...
It'd be rude, I guess, to ask exactly how much "good will" Audi bestowed upon you here... I'm betting high blue book?

Will be looking for a replacement A8 over the winter and spring, so I'll be around.
D3? I highly recommend it, if one has the means (paraphrasing Ferris Bueller).

Keep us posted! I'm glad it worked out (and somewhat amazed at Audi's solution).

Tom
Old 08-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aTOMic*
It'd be rude, I guess, to ask exactly how much "good will" Audi bestowed upon you here... I'm betting high blue book?

D3? I highly recommend it, if one has the means (paraphrasing Ferris Bueller).

Keep us posted! I'm glad it worked out (and somewhat amazed at Audi's solution).

Tom
They paid $1K more than I bought it for.
There are no D2 Blue Leather seats in stock - both US and Germany.
I was told the car would never be driven again.
I am definitely thinking D3, but loved the D2 cabin and body style.
My B5 4motion Passat will get me through the Winter. Spring 2014 I'll be buying...
Old 10-25-2015, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default SEATS ON FIRE

Thanks adjuster, was considering elaborating on the same subject.

In June I contacted Audi regarding the element issue and they gave me considerable confidence that if a dealer examined the seat damage and found it was a failure of the seat, not damage, Audi would replace the seat covers.

The problem, as mentioned earlier, is the distance, expense and effort to reach a dealer. Plus, the car would likely have to remain while seat covers are ordered, then installed.

If I could find Navy or Midnight Blue seat covers or even seat bottoms, I'm positive the price would be much cheaper than ferry round trip, 1500 driving miles, multiple overnights on road and week(s) on a buddy's couch. The parting out D2s of late have not been a match.

I never heard back from Shokan when I wrote them earlier this Summer... anyone know of a used parts seller that might pull covers and ship to AK. Bottoms could be shipped, entire seats might be getting expensive.

Is it possible to buy the seat cover in the right leather from Audi? It might end up being reasonable, considering.

DID AUDI ADMITT TO A PROBLEM WITH SEAT AND REPAIR? OR DID YOU HAVE TO PAY TO HAVE REPARIED? I AM HAVING SAME ISSUE WITH BOTH SEATS
Old 10-27-2015, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

chrisirwin66 - If you read below, you'll see that Audi claimed no responsibility but they did purchase my A8 from me. The seats were never repaired as they went away with the car. My suggestion would be to contact Audi USA about your problem, get a case #, and inform them that you will have an Audi dealer examine the seats and report back what they find.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

chrisirwin66 - If you read below, you'll see that Audi claimed no responsibility but they did purchase my A8 from me. The seats were never repaired as they went away with the car. My suggestion would be to contact Audi USA about your problem, get a case #, and inform them that you will have an Audi dealer examine the seats and report back what they find.
Thank you. I did go to Audi Dealer today, they are going to see what the company says after they send pictures and info. Replacing the seats are $4900/each ... so not going that route.