A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should give my A8 back for a refund ? (same problems continue)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should give my A8 back for a refund ? (same problems continue)

after "owning" my 99 A8 (40k) for three months, the car has been at the dealer for about six weeks in total. my first visit was the day after I bought the car and the same problem is still there. the dealer has replaced the transmission, the drive-shaft and now they want to replace the rear differential. I have a feeling that this will not fix the problem either and honestly I'm sick of making the payments and driving some chepo rental.

do you guys think that I should just ask the dealer to take the car back for a full refund? I know that it has been three months, but I think that since the car had this problem from day one and they can not fix it (or it may take six more weeks) they should take it back.

any opinions are welcomed....
Old 11-21-2002, 02:05 PM

Default here are the original posts to the problem:

my post:

https://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/14756.phtml

paulW's diagnosis (which the dealer seems to be ingnoring):

https://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/14875.phtml
Old 11-21-2002, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Should give my A8 back for a refund ? (same problems continue)

I'd keep it...your getting major components replaced...you'll eventually get it fixed and they will have spent about $20K fixing it. At least they're replacing parts vs. stating that they can't really find it so they don't want to just throw parts at it...

If you were paying for each of these repairs it would be very different...You'll enjoy your A8 in a week or two and enjoy not having transmission problems that seem to pop up close to 100K....

It will probably come down to a stupid inexpensive repair when all is said and done.

BTW - you did confirm that you don't use the two foot method for driving...this will create the symptoms similar to which you speak...the surging back and forth issue I am speaking. This electronic controlled transmission and throttle on these vehicles can't be driven with the two feet method...this is a fact and well documented even in Audi Service Bulletins...

Good luck!
Old 11-21-2002, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default I say bring it over to my place one more time

Let me look at it for a day and see if I can find the problem. I can't believe it will be that hard to figure out.

pw
Old 11-21-2002, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Technically ( in Cali anyway ) the dealer doesn't have to do anything for you.

Now in the interests of making a happy customer, they may decide not to play hardball. Have they indicated anything one way or another ? Warranty of some sort ?
Old 11-21-2002, 05:00 PM

Default no two-footed driving here...

they did refuse to admit that there was a problem for the first two visits, but eventually I took a mechanic out for long enough for him to admit that there is somehing wrong.

I'm glad that I have a new tranny, but at the same time I'm affraid that these "mechanics" are doing a good job in replacing all these part in a correct manner.

I have a feeling that the problem is somewhere else than where the dealer is fishing, but the dealer tells me that the audi-tech-line is suggesting the repairs that are being performed..... hmmm...
Old 11-21-2002, 05:09 PM

Default I have not asked them yet...

but I did call the salesman today, but he did not call me back... the salesman did tell me that if I do not like the car a week later, that I could bring it back and get something else... if that is still the case, I really do not know....
Old 11-21-2002, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Hopefully they are OK with it. In Cali,

it is required that the dealer include a 30 day warranty (no matter what) that covers 50% of mechanical failures.

If you have a good rapport, you should be OK - especially if swapping instead of getting cash back. Call the sales manager and explain your situation. It wouldn't hurt to talk to the service manager as well, and have the two talk to each other.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:31 PM

Default I should have mentioned again that this A8 is

audi assured, so really I'm not paying for any of these "repairs." still, six weeks in the shop within the first three months of purchase of this "assured" car seems like someone is not competent. plus, I'm making payments on an A8 and driving a junk rental....
Old 11-21-2002, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Ahhhh. Ask service manager to get zone rep involved.

That person has far more experience and authority to authorize major repairs. They work for AoA, not the dealership.

Quick Reply: Should give my A8 back for a refund ? (same problems continue)