AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/)
-   -   Should I buy this 1999 A8? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/should-i-buy-1999-a8-2786909/)

Zach, USM 07-17-2010 11:48 AM

Should I buy this 1999 A8?

Friend is selling a '99 A8 quattro w/ 180k miles. Excellent condition, all service done but the miles scare me. Transmission doesn't slip or anything but I just don't know much about this specific car...

The price is cheap...$3500. I haven't posted here in years and no, I won't tell you where the car is (just in case the admins think this is a disguised for sale post...which it's NOT).

Anyway, any major problems with 1999 A8s? Does this seem like a fair price?

Thanks!

silverd2 07-17-2010 04:12 PM

Kelly says it's a reasonable price at that mileage. If service has been kept up, esp atf and filter ever changed, it doesn't sound bad.
All high mileage used cars are a risk, but if the price is right (?)

Here's a good link about A8's in general:

http://www.audiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112161

A couple of things NOT mentioned in that article:

1. Oil cooler water pipe prone to failing (plastic)...involved repair. If the car doesn't have a slow coolant leak now (front passenger side of engine, behind alternator), it was probably repaired a long time ago...they usually fail well before 180K.

2. Driveshaft output flange seal fails and drips gear oil on left cat converter (you'd smell it burning)...common problem. Not a super expensive repair and not a disabling problem, unless never addressed. Even a bad leak usually leaves some oil in center diff, but should be adressed in time if leaking.

Zach, USM 07-17-2010 05:41 PM

Thanks, great info! I think I'm going to just offer him $3k and if he doesn't take it...I'll walk.

silverd2 07-17-2010 06:44 PM

$3K would be a bargain.
I'd take it in a second for that. You can't get much for $3K these days. That's a lotta car, if it's runnin OK...and sounds like it is, comin from a friend.
Go for it!

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 07-18-2010 08:51 AM

It's depend on how many miles you drive a year. How long you're planning to keep the car? How much money would you invest in it to keep it running? If you buy it for $3500 and it runs for you 2 years without any major problems, it's a steal and after that donate it or use it for parts on another car.
The problems with buying a cheap car is that when it got problems, spending money to fix it and most of the time, the total cost of the car comes up equals or more than the car is worth and you have not had any joy out of the car yet.
Anyhow, on any drivable A8, the nice body and seats alone cost more than $3500 already.

Cheers,

Louis

SCL 07-23-2010 02:20 PM

I would say that's quite a bargain -- I think the A8 sold for $75,000 new.

The high mileage by itself is not much of a concern -- Unless maybe it was a lot of city driving. The A8 is a solid car...runs great, handles excellent -- but it does have quite a few design/QA flaws.

Even with the maintenance that has been done, you might still have to deal with some other annoying problems.

To add to the list...Here's is what I have had to repair -- most I consider design flaws -
- rear transmission (center diff) driveshaft seal (already mentioned) -- leaks gear oil...not too hard to repair, although not so fun...I posted the steps a while back.
- rear differential torque mount -- a bonded rubber bushing, too weak and it rips, causing a clunk when accelerating...inexpensive part, but a pain to replace.
- Front axle CV boots -- common problem...they rip and the grease flings out on everything...also inexpensive part, but PITA to repair. It's actually better to just replace the entire axle for only a few dollars more.
- Fuel Pump -- fails suddenly between 100K-200K and the part is hard to find for a reasonable price ($250 sourced from The UK), and an enormous PITA to replace.
- Top Radiator Hose -- has a molded plastic Tee section with a small outlet for 3/8" hose...the plastic becomes brittle and breaks off...and all the coolant empties out.
- Heater/AC blower fan -- the motor commutator and brushes wear out, fan squeaks and slows when cornering...it can be disassembled and cleaned and brushes replaced for pennies...or replace entire blower fan.
- Coolant Overflow tank -- made of plastic, cracks and leaks. Easy to replace, relatively cheap to buy.

Minor -
- AC evap drain hoses -- plug up with dirt, air ducts fill with water, water pours on passenger's feet. There is a recall, so this can be fixed for free...but it only takes a few minutes to snip the ends of the drain hoses.
- Drivers seat heat -- has failed
- High Beam switch -- has failed

Intermittent issues -
- check engine light comes on -- triggered by intermittent Evap Emissions vacuum leak...no solution found yet
- Air Bag light comes on -- no solution yet
- Glove Box difficult to open -- slightly annoying, but workable.
- Brake light and ABS light come on -- only when backing. rebooting the car seems to fix this.

Someone wrote a post a while back titled "A8 Leak of the Week"...which I thought was pretty funny. ;-) It's true -- There does always seem to be something leaking.

Even with all the above, the A8 still a great car. And if you know the owner, you can find out which problems have come up and what work it will need. For 3K, it's a bargain. If the engine or transmission blow, sell it for parts and buy another one.

...hope some of that is helpful.

Zach, USM 07-23-2010 04:25 PM

Very helpful. I still haven't pulled the trigger. Really worried about spending $5k a year to maintain a 180K mile car...seems...illogical? I guess it's not about logic though or, at least, not all about logic.

I want the car, I desire it, it's kinda practical for the northeast but if the thing is going to break every month or e/o month....it's just not worth it.

No way of knowing w/o buying it I guess. I'm sure I could unload it for what I paid for it but the guy is having a hell of a time selling it.

silverd2 07-23-2010 05:53 PM

All cars models have their problems, but not every unit sold. You seem to be concentrating on worst case scenario. Granted, my A8 has only just turned over 100K...but, "5K a year" to maintain? I haven't spent half that in 6 years.

You could probably buy a nice 3-color+primer Honda Accord for the same price and get a few miles out of it, while trailing blue smoke :) ...OR you could have one of the rarest and most unique cars on the planet in decent running shape. I'm surprised it hasn't sold already...in other areas, people would jump on it at that price.

I used to drive Porsche 928's (3 in a row) which sold new for over 80K. I waited till they were old enough for me to afford. Even with high miles, in my opinion I still had a much better car than most new cars selling for more than I paid...not to mention the rarity and uniqueness. The chance of expensive repairs is just a part of loving "exotics"...and if you research and shop around (and don't use car dealers), the price of repairs and parts come down considerably.

I see you already have a nice S4 (beautiful!), so you already have a great winter car....maybe you shouldn't by the A8. Just all depends on what corner of the room you're looking from (?)

Please don't be offended...just one man's opinion.

Zach, USM 07-23-2010 05:58 PM

oh, no offense taken at all. The only reason i am saying such high costs is because of the possibility of transmission failure or getting nickle and dimed to death. i love the car and even got him to drop the price to 2700. thank you for the input!

silverd2 07-23-2010 06:15 PM

2700 !!!??? As our friend Louis said "The body and seats are worth more than that" !!
I'd pay that much just to sit in it, running or not!
If that was listed on Ebay at that price as "But It Now"....gone in 60 seconds.