A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So bummed that the new A8 will only come over in L form!

Old 09-12-2002, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So bummed that the new A8 will only come over in L form!

Seems fairly concrete that, aside from the S8, we'll only see the new A8 in the long-wheelbase version here in the States.

I wish I could afford the new 8 in S form, but I know that I won't be able to. It's feasible in V8 form, but I really don't want the added length of the long wheelbase version.

Is anyone else in the same boat? If so, any possibility of pulling together a bunch of signatures to send to AoA requesting that they reconsider?
Old 09-12-2002, 09:47 PM

Default Buy an S8 now, while you can. :)

<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/model/s8.html">https://www.audiworld.com/model/s8.html</a</li></ul>
Old 09-12-2002, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default As I understand it, the normal A8 will have more rear legroom than the current model.

So, why do we need the "L" version? I agree, the limo will not be a great 'sporty'car and it will cost more. AOA is probably run by a buch of old folk who can't understand why we want a sporty Audi.
Old 09-13-2002, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I'll sign the pettition to get the regular wheelbase model here!
Old 09-13-2002, 04:44 AM

Default Has anyone seen photos of an L in print?

Given the rounded roofline, I wonder what could be done to lengthen the car? BTW, I like the A8L much more than the standard length. Sales of the short 8's have tanked compared to the L.
Old 09-13-2002, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Maybe the standard length new A8 will come out alongside the new S8

Don't give up hope just yet. Instead, do like Martin Lawrence says and keep hope alive.
Old 09-13-2002, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have heard even with the current A8, AoA sells more L than standard?

When the A8L was introduced back in 2000, I think a lot of the car magazine predicts most of the new sales will be in the form of the A8L.

I'd think Audi will eventually send over the Standard wheel base car when they want to boost sales in the future.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:59 AM

Default AoA can't seem to make up its mind...

They keep saying that they want Audi to be a sporting brand and to compete with BMW while VW competes more with MB, but then they do something like bringing over the new, more sporty A8 only in long-wheelbase form (yes, I realize that the S8 will come over, but it will be much more expensive and will almost certainly take another two to three years beyond the arrival of the new A8 to show up).

If they want to change their image they're going to have to have the product to back it up. Yes, they may sell more A8 Ls now, but the point is that they're trying to change their current positioning.

To bring over the Phaeton in long-wheelbase form-only makes sense, but not the new A8. What's the point of having two marks if you're going to put out the same image?

AoA has to make up their damn minds already and either be a sporting mark or not. Just saying that they are isn't going to cut it.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Actually, I think the new S8 is supposed to come out in Fall of 2004 as a 2005

Maybe the new A8 (standard length) will come to North America later on. AoA does not share all information about future Audi models with the public. In fact, there is probably a lot of information about future Audi models AoA does not share with the public. Maybe the delayed introduction of the new A8 (standard length) in North America is one of them. Don't fret just yet.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Once the L was available, almost every car was ordered that way. The short cars

were very hard to sell and had to be discounted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So bummed that the new A8 will only come over in L form!