A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, it is day 8 with Mobil1 synthetic ATF and there is absolutely no change in my tranny's behavior.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default So, it is day 8 with Mobil1 synthetic ATF and there is absolutely no change in my tranny's behavior.

My car still shifts smooth and there is no hunting. I drove it for over a week, three cold starts a day, over 350 miles mostly city driving only 50 miles HWY. Every time I or others changed something, it took 4-5 days for the TCU to learn and then the hunting came back. If you guys wait one more week, I will confirm that the hunting is related to the fluid. BTW, before I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, I had Audi fluid with less than 1000 miles and it was hunting like hell.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I just changed the fluid in the tranny, 8 q. It still had 4 q in the TC.

I didn't know it will be much better so I did not flush the whole thing. I only changed to Mobil 1 because I ruined the fluid and it was Sunday, no Audi fluid available.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep it up! Good Luck
Old 01-30-2005, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default All the fluid going though the TC.

It is always mixing and re-circulating, but you are not able to drain the TC, not even if you taking it out.<ul><li><a href="http://www.nemco.mb.ca/pds/mobil1_atf.pdf">http://www.nemco.mb.ca/pds/mobil1_atf.pdf</a</li></ul>
Old 01-30-2005, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sounds like you have found the right cocktail.

8 parts Mobil 1 and 4 parts Original Audi fluid.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default He said that he would not give a dollar for the Audi fluid.

Actually he told me to change it. I borrowed his car to go to the store for the Mobil 1.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default We should be able to figure out a way to do a complete flush. I've done it on other...

trannys by disconnecting the line at the radiator
and cranking/starting the engine while filling thru the dipstick. If you had another person using some sort of a power pump to keep filling (I used one on my drill for the last change) why wouldn't that work ?

Bob
Old 01-30-2005, 06:16 PM
dS8
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: tozoA8 - I also changed my fluid 1500 miles ago to

Pennzoil Multi Vehicle Synthetic blend ATF fluid (7 quarts). My transmission immediately started shifting better and with reduced thumping. But I now am using tiptronic all the time. It will still thump in 4thand 5th after the back off-coast-apply light throttle situation. I am tuesday installing a new TPS and cleaning the MAF, then leaving on 4K mile trip. I will be bringing 10 qt Pentosium. filter, gaskets, instructions with me in case it gets really bad in Podunk. It is the torque converter that is locking-unlocking being told by the TCM to do so. I might try a new TCM if the TPS and MAF don't work. Even a new/rebuilt trnasmission is not a guarantee.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where's Thomas? I think he had a method.

IIRC, he's running Redline ATF.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I am just telling my experience. I did not tell anyone to change it.

although so far I would recommend it. I will drop the pan sometime next week to see what's going on. Just like I posted earlier, manufactures like to tell to customers that nothing else would work. They coloring the fluid blue,yellow (VW Audi )and so on. It will void the warranty if you change the fluid to a different type. The tranny is an expensive part of the car, so people afraid to switch to a different fluid ( especially if the dealer telling them, that it will ruin the tranny ). I have two trannys and I have free access to a lift and I didn't have Audi fluid on Sunday. I did not wanted to switch either, but my friend told me that he has a really tough time to believe that synthetic fluid will ruin the tranny.

Quick Reply: So, it is day 8 with Mobil1 synthetic ATF and there is absolutely no change in my tranny's behavior.