A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So my car's supercharged out of no where - or...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So my car's supercharged out of no where - or...

...at least it sounded like it one or three times over this past weekend.

WTF?

I backed down my driveway w/ window open Fri. night and heard this 'whir' coming from about where the trans / diff is. Took off in first, heard it again - very 'supercharger-esque', not loud but notable. Went away after the next two stop / starts.

Think I barely sorta maybe heard it again today. 124k. Sure has gots me wunderin'.

Thank goodness for GLWC coverage I guess?

Mebbe it'll heal - yeah - that's it.

Any thoughts out there? Kinda weird / spooky if you ask me.

That, and, boy she sure does still have an audible 'clack' @ idle, and at shutdown / startup - this after my cam chain tensioner replacement earlier this summer. Again, mebbe it'll heal / means nothin. Does not change with revs, isn't present anywhere but idle / startup / shut down - weird. Bud had the idea it could be chain link 'slack' and ignore it. Inclined to agree - who knows tho.

Both are funny as knock woodrow - she's running like a top like always. Just audible as she ages.

ANYwho... sorry, random Sunday near-midnight ramblings of a 124k //S8...................
Old 10-26-2008, 08:31 PM

Nice
Old 10-27-2008, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Noises and smells are no good in a car and sorry to dissapoint, they don't heal. I keep wishing..
Old 10-27-2008, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh I hear what you're saying - but I've certainly had freak flukes come and go on...

...many occassions on many cars before.

Cold start this a.m., no whir.

The clatter I'm still thinking is 'normal' 124k top / front motor sound of the roller cam follower head, chain, etc. While it's 'audible' it certainly isn't loud. And if it were something more troublesome it'd rear itself under different circumstance than solely idle / start / shutoff - my gut at least.

No idea what to make of that whir that came and went. I almost thought my belt had sucked up a leave maybe. Or maybe one stuck in 1/2 or drive shaft.

Maybe.

Or something. And stuff. And things.

Tx for thought tho.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:09 AM

Default I think I know that sound. I used to hear it in drive after a cold start up. Goes away after a few

minutes.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:17 AM

Default I think it's your transmission filter

I changed my fluid and filteron my S8 and was feelin' pretty proud until I was driving with the window down and heard the whirring noise. Hoped it would go away, but it didn't. Thanks to PaulW and Gabor, I figured it out. I cut about 3/8 in. off the intake pipe on the filter, refilled the transmission according to specs, and the "whirring" is gone.
My A8 had a clattering up to about 1500 rpm that made it sound like a diesel engine. Changing to non-synthetic Castrol GTX 15-50 helped a little, but once in a while it would re-appear. There were several threads on the board, but no solutions. I think Bob (A8CT) had the same problem.
Good luck!
Phil C
Old 10-27-2008, 10:21 AM

Default Could it be TSB #2016702/1? Doesn't list the '01, however...

But it sounds similar to your suspicion that something might have gotten caught in a belt roller.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default pkrasusky I have the same noise. rangervr4.2 did you only hear the noise in first gear?

I changed the fluid in my car and I noticed that a sort of whining noise can be heard only when in first gear. I cant remember if it has always been like that or if it just started after the fluid change.

Pkrasusky I have the same exact noise at ~90K. Turn the motor off and back on and it goes away. Extremely intermittent and very strange.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Tx Phil / chinshead - see - told ya'll it'd "heal" 8-). Appreciate the info, if only for...

...moral support heh heh.

It's weird - it cropped up out of nowhere. No fluid / filter change (I don't intend to!).

Heard it again @ lunch today, at warm start not cold. 1st gear only, higher revs not immediately at set off. Not too loud.

Yeah, weird.

Tx again all.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:28 PM

Default Re: pkrasusky I have the same noise. rangervr4.2 did you only hear the noise in first gear?

I really noticed it in 1st, if it happened in 2nd, it was very faint. I had to have my A8's transmission rebuilt @ 105m miles, so I was not too happy when I heard the whirring. But, it's fixed and working like a charm. Now if I can solve the wind noise from the passenger's rear quarter window I'll be a happy guy.