A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some questions from a forum newbie (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some questions from a forum newbie (LONG)

I have some question about my dad's 01' (00' September delivery) A8L (17" fully loaded except Alcantara package, phone and solar sunroof)

1. The glove compartment pops out occasionally while driving or when stationary. (it doesn't pop out if nothing is in it) I have a feeling that my dad has been using WAY too much force to close it and somehow worn out the latch or messed it up... any suggestions?

2. I've read through all the posts here and only found one post regarding this:
I know the windsheild washer fluid are CONCENTRATED and SMELLS BAD. We tried to dilute it with water but the smell is STILL really bad when we use it. (Normally, we don't use the recirculating function since it fogs up the windows) I asked this question in the Audi newsgroup and an Audi tech said the newer (ie 2000+) cars' HVAC are suppose to switch to recirculating mode when we use it, is it true? Are there anything that I can do to cure this smell other than not using it? (I usually keep all the cars clean during good weather)

3. Is there anyway that we can hook up an exsisting digital phone (A Startac from a Mercedes phone) to the A8 and use all the feature from the pre-wired system? Does the phone use the existing antenna embedded in the rear windsheild or will there be an extra "external" antenna needed? What happen to the digital phone I heard it'll come out soon from this board?

4. I've been hearing that a slight body vibration when the car is stationary is normal, is this true?

5. Anyone finds the Contential tires for the 17" wheels have poor performance? The tires squeal badly under some corners that even my minivan doesn't squeal. Or it is just becase the tires *may* be under/over inflated?

6. Anyone here lives in the Toronto (Canada) area who owns an A/S8?

7. If you do live in Toronto, which dealer do you bring your car in for service?
(We got ours from Agincourt Autohaus, car still have not reached the first service date yet). Has the experience been good? What loaners do you get?

8. Anyone signed up for participate in the July track day Audi's holding in Toronto? I saw it in the AoA website, sounds really cool except I doubt my dad will let me "test the limit" of the car (which I've never attempted btw)

9. When will be the next meet in Toronto?

10. Do I always have to enter the city for the Nav system? I can't figure out how to by-pass it without entering the city first. (The Mercedes system seems to work a lot better actually)
I think that's it for now, thanks for any response or feedback!
I'm glad I'm the only one in the family that actually enjoys driving and I'm usually the driving in all family trips

Kelvin
01 A8L (not mine, just get to drive it)
00 S500 (same as above)
94 Toyota minivan (4WD, mine)
Old 06-26-2001, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Some questions from a forum newbie (LONG)

I'll answer the easy ones....
1 ) Have the dealer adjust it. It's somewhat a normal thing for it to happen.
2) Smell ! Solution - Live with it or use the washer mode 'til you've used it all up and replace with another "non-smelling or more pleasant" washer fluid solution or just plain distilled water in the summer.
5 ) Check the air pressure first
Old 06-26-2001, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Welcome !

1. Yes, have the dealer adjust.
2. The fluid does smell. Alcohol based. Supposed to be better for the environment, not foam when deployed on the windsheild at speed on the autobahn and make the pumper unit last longer.
3. Check with your dealer. Very new, but dealers should have an adaptor kit for some digital Nokia phones. If you can't get there, try Clair parts online.
4. You should know the engine is turned on, but nothing more. The vibration should be slight. If it is more than that, have dealer check fuel delivery or timing.
5. Conti's suck. Do check the inflation - about 40 to 42lbs when cold is best for performance. Michelin Pilot Sports will give great summer grip. Some folks here feel strongly one way or another, but the Dunlop SP 5000, 8000, and 9000 should also be considered. Go to the TireRack site for more info.

Enjoy !
Old 06-26-2001, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Tires, SP8000 suck too. :-)

Regarding tires, I am probably one of those who do feel strongly against the Dunlop's, and particularly the SP8000's.
:-)

Got a chance the challenge my new Falken's at the track last weekend. I am simply amazed! They are better on a wet track than the SP8000's are on dry. Quite honestly.

On dry? Unbelievable, tons of grip! For the first time I was able to break loose the rear due to high cornering speed. With the Dunlop's that was impossible, they would just under-steer way before you even got to consider a speed that would make the rear skid.

The edges of the Dunlop's would be totally round after a track day of under-steer, where the Falken's keep their shape perfectly.

But of course, the Falken's (and similar performance tires like the B.stone S03) will start to peel off rubber pieces if you overheat them, which is easy to do on a hot day at the track. Not a problem on the road though.

Best regards,
Kjell A
Old 06-26-2001, 01:43 PM
Elder Member

Default Also unhappy with SP8000's, replacing them with S-03's next month ...

... the last straw was when I developed a blister in the sidewall of one of them on the first high speed (for the U.S.) drive in hot weather.
Old 06-26-2001, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

See ? Some hate 'em:-) I have had several sets and love them. The 5000 is popular w/A6 people.
Old 06-27-2001, 04:07 AM
Elder Member

Not hate, just unhappy :-)
Old 06-27-2001, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

I would be unhappy too if I spent that kind of money, and it did not meet my expectations.