A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare rotors anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare rotors anyone?

I have an A8Q 1997 with about 83,000 miles and am having new pads and brake fluid done. Unfortunately the rotors need to be replaced all around. (Below 23mm factory min) Has anyone out there done a brake upgrade and have a good set of factory rotors laying around that they would be willing to part with cheap? If not suggestions on a source for Audi or Aftermarket rotors at a resonable price?
Old 02-01-2002, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Buy OEM!

I replaced the pads both front and rear recently and really regret going with the Porterfield brake pads, they just didn't work like the OEM's, and I have had chronic brake squeal...

The local dealer has arranged for good pricing for brake components for me (or anyone with the correct number to reference when ordering). The front rotors were priced to me at $118.67 each. If you get after market rotors, they aren't going to be very much cheaper, if at all...and you won't have all of the testing that Audi went through to get to a final specification.

Everytime I buy non OEM parts, I always do the job twice....

The dealer that I'm refering to is Laurel in Westmont, IL, phone 630-655-6700, ask for Dave or Stacy and refer to Q5605. However, you'll have to pay for shipping which won't be cheap!

Another advantage of OEM parts, they have a 12 month, no questions asked, replacement policy. I used that on my old UFO style rotors ($325 each!) on my 91 200q after they warped.

pw
Old 02-01-2002, 09:16 PM

Default There are some excellent aftermarket parts...

...depending on what you want to achieve. I have had great success with aftermarket parts made by companies such as CenterForce and Performance Friction, among others. They easially surpassed the performance of the OEM parts for approximately the same price.
Do your research, and use top notch parts from reputable manufacturerers that have been proven for your application, and you should be pleased.
Old 02-01-2002, 11:04 PM

Default OEM Rotor specification enclosed....

all Audi A8 OEM rotors must meet the following rigorous specs:

1) have a short service life
2) overheat easily
3) warp easily
Old 02-03-2002, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Let me clarify myself...

...OEM rotors/pads are great for somebody like me, or probably most of us, we drive our cars as daily drivers, not on the track. If you buy aftermarket parts trying to get them cheaper, that's exactly what you get.

If you want to buy some high end stuff to increase performance for track days, etc., there is some great stuff out there, and it is more expensive than stock. For me, I don't need it 'cause I use my car for my sales calls and need to keep my car in working order all the time with minimal investment.

The OEM stuff just seems to work really well, you don't have to jump the brake pad wires out or anything like that because the new pads come with them!

My $0.02

pw
Old 02-03-2002, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Do not buy OEM! :-)

Well, seriously, the OEM brakes for the A8 is quite good, especially the pads. But my point is like Chris, there is very good aftermarket stuff available for the same amount of money. But buy high-performance stuff, not cheap aftermarket copys of OEM!

There is also stuff availble that you might think is good (good brand), but still isn't. The price normally tells the story. Runar, what did you get? Not satisfied as far as I remember?

I have changed all rotors to EBC now, and front pads to EBC Green Stuff (not available rear yet). There really is a big difference from OEM! The brake use and feel is a lot better, stopping performance is better, dust is less. Price about OEM or just over. I haven't had the car to other than an ice track since changing, so I don't know about track perfromance. They are supposed to handle a lot more heat then the stock brakes, which I really hope is true.

BTW. I had a very bad experience with cheap EBC pads (OEM copy) on OEM rotors, the Audi pads was far better.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Do not buy OEM! :-)

Where did you get the EBC Rotors and pads? Most of the people I have contacted don't carry A8 rotors, just A4 and A6.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Do not buy OEM! :-)

I bought them here in Norway.

EBC haven't had S6/A8 front rotors or Green Stuff pads until recently. They still don't have the slotted rotors, but they are all made of the same steel, that will take more heat than the OEM ones.

Check with your EBC dealer. I payed about $340 +tax for my front rotors and Green Stuff pads. Think that is a good price, we have a nice deal through the club.
Old 02-04-2002, 01:00 PM

Default Brembo + Bosch experience...... :-|

Yes, that's right Kjell A - I'm not very satisfied with the replacement done some months back.

I initially ordered Brembo both front and rear, but had to take Bosch in the front as I - if not - was forced to wait a long-long time before Brembo was back in stock. Well, after a few weeks I experienced a "shaking" steering wheel - informed the dealer about it - and will have the rotors replaced on warranty. Good for me, yes! Unfortunately I have not had the time yet, but they have still promised me replacement.....

Maybe I should go for EBC as well... Will do some "investigation" shortly. Understand you are happy so far Kjell A ??
Old 02-04-2002, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Brembo + Bosch experience...... :-|

Well, you might want to wait until I have tried them on dry roads and on the track and before I draw a final conclusion. But the EBC's are absolutely promising so far.

I know for sure they won't be really *good*, only new and bigger calippers can make that happen. But maybe they are good enough, and probably better than stock anyway.

Quick Reply: Spare rotors anyone?