A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger? Is it a pipe dream? I bought a book today

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: BTW, it's Paxton, not Paston. Give that man some cheese.

Only negativity was due to the fact of you bringing up the Supra. If I wanted to hear how great the Supra is, and what all the Japanese can do, I wouldn't be on an Audi forum. Talking about a 1200whp Supra you want to build and saying we'd be amazed at what "the Japs" can do just rubs me wrong...

Pointing out electronics that may work for this sort project is fine, sharing information pertaining to this topic is fine. Just be prepared for debunking, its what I've been taught to do. There are multiple ways to do things, each one has draw backs and compromises. I personally would not spend more money on a system that does the same thing as a cheaper system with the same/similar results. I also believe in keeping a project like this close to factory with a high ease of installation and integration. Why just correct a fuel map with a piggy back that has to be wired into the car when you can dyno tune one car, and develop a "cookie cutter" code for it for both fuel and timing so that Joe in Iowa can just plug the new EPROM in, or switch ECU boxes. A lot more simple for the end user...

Whoever's car is the test car for code development will be seeing a lot of dyno time, for sure.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: BTW, it's Paxton, not Paston. Give that man some cheese.

I have worked on all types of cars. I have experience working on many Japanese imports, as well as many domestics. I own Japanese turbo imports for a reason. I wanted the most HP per dollar as possible. I read all of the primedia magazines, and I see what other cars are doing. See many cars online. I do not have blinders on here. For me to not use my personal experience an example would be crazy. What do I do under the "cuatrohoop law"? Not say anything in the form of an opinion if it has anything to do with a supra? or an Japanese import? Eat it. I love all cars. Let's not forget I do own an Audi, and I own it for reasons.

I was kidding about putting a 2j in an A8, BUT if that is the kind of stuff that bothers you? Get over it, what the hell. I have never seen any engine do what a 2j is capable of. That is my opinion, and I can choose the engine to like no matter what you say.

I sense an Audi freak in a jealous HP fit. No one makes a perfect car. I guess that is why I am a CAR guy that enjoys many aspects of many cars. Why did I bring up a supra? Because that is what I know best.

Again I was just giving ideas. Neither supercharger, nor turbo will be easy. I was simply giving another idea a run. If I did not bring up a turbo idea, someone else would have, big deal.

If I was doing the kit, it would be turbo system without a doubt. I have worked on both, took rides in both, and drove both. All in different cars. All different power levels. I still have yet to be seriously impressed with any supercharger kit on an otherwise stock car.

Either system can be a cookie cutter system. A jig made for a turbo manifold is pretty simple to make. The electronics for both would be similar. The difference is opinion.

Time for bed. Nice car BTW.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: That car is still street legal, and driveable on the street. I fail to see your point of this p

and supras and skylines and soarers and vettes(and shall I go on?) are not street legal running 9's everyday? You need to expand your car knowledge. Take off the audi blinders.

Audi = great car
Audi = not the only great car.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: 4.2 twin turbo in a RS6 pic:

enjoy<ul><li><a href="http://www.championracing.net/Audi_RS6/archive/RS6_2003/pics/S6MosMisc04.jpg">click this</a></li></ul>
Old 02-19-2004, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger

PaulW car have good shocks, and the brakes are updated, so it would be a good base to start to build a supercharged car. Ecu map must be changed and it´s required to use higher octane fuel. I´m hoping that he can get it to work, he is very talented guy.

Does anyone know how much horsepower can the 6 speed manual gearbox handle?

-Keke
Old 02-19-2004, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default It is very possible. I have been researching also!!!

I am leaning towards a Vortech and copying MTM's plumbing. Joe Hoppen in FL can do the maps in the ECU. If you have access to some machine tools and welders it's not all that hard. ~400 Hp Last weekend I saw a German made screw type compressor on a Porsche. It was very low profile and long. ~2" x ~3" x ~15". It could lay accross the driver's side valve cover! Very possible indeed!

Need Boost!
Old 02-19-2004, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: That car is still street legal, and driveable on the street. I fail to see your point of this p

OMG. You were talking about a street legal, 1200hp Supra, I made a comment about that particular car and posted some info on a very powerful Audi engined VW.....You keep taking this further and further away from your original intent, trying to prove a point about me that you are not going to be able to prove.

One of my friends happened to own a 500whp LS1 Camaro (now has a Z06), maybe you've heard of his father's company, LG Motorsports in TX. Another owns a 6spd 383cid blower LT1 1LE car. Others own bored and stroked Fox bodies, or Fox's with 351's in them, a few C4's (including a GS) and a few C5's. One acquaintance had a 700-800whp Supra, another guy I used to know had a twin turbo 993C2.

I have blinders on? Hardly!
Old 02-19-2004, 04:51 AM

Jeez! You two sound like the kids over on the A4 forums!
Old 02-19-2004, 05:02 AM

Thats for sure.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: It is very possible. I have been researching also!!!

If we were able to mount a blower to one of the valve covers and somehow get a belt to it wouldnt it just be as simple as running piping to the airbox and amkeing sure its sealed... why would we even need a new intake manifold then..

I would think a cpu remap would be all we need.
Could it be this simple? mabye some larger injectors, but that should be it for the basic set up.. that should put us at 375hp at least.

Add in an exhaust and mabye 390?

I like pauls idea of using the old stock GM eaton s/c's
What kind of boost do you think we can get from them.. How much boost do we need to achieve ~375hp?

Quick Reply: Supercharger? Is it a pipe dream? I bought a book today