AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/)
-   -   Suspension Options (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/suspension-options-2969446/)

SC_09iduA 03-26-2019 05:55 AM

Suspension Options

I have a blown front strut on my S8 and it's giving me the annoying spring/sprung sound when driving...makes sense. I'm wondering what the best practiced options are for these vehicles? I'd like to not lower it so coil-overs are out (I'm assuming) so what struts would be recommended for replacement? Would it be prudent to replace all 4 struts at the same time? This last inquiry is rhetorical but what has everyone else considered and completed? What are your honest impressions on the new bits? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

jfrahm 03-26-2019 01:12 PM

Some say replace in pairs at least, and that makes sense. However I have known people to replace one bad strut with a good used one. I have one spare Sachs red front and one spare Bilstein front if that'd help. Bilsteins are really stiff.

NOLAessate 03-26-2019 01:38 PM

Did Bilsteins and very satisfied

Originally Posted by SC_09iduA (Post 25294529)
I have a blown front strut on my S8 and it's giving me the annoying spring/sprung sound when driving...makes sense. I'm wondering what the best practiced options are for these vehicles? I'd like to not lower it so coil-overs are out (I'm assuming) so what struts would be recommended for replacement? Would it be prudent to replace all 4 struts at the same time? This last inquiry is rhetorical but what has everyone else considered and completed? What are your honest impressions on the new bits? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last year I had the CA replaced and did all 4 shocks at the same time. I used Bilstein B6 shocks and am very satisfied. My '02 was never a soft riding car, even in 2008 when I first got it with 64k miles on the clock. We are now at about 203k, and the car drives like its brand new. Handling is spot on with minimal lean and the ride is not abusive.

SC_09iduA 03-28-2019 05:53 AM

Thank you all for the suggestions! I appreciate the offer on the used struts Jfrahm, however I feel it's an all-in thing at this point...I've replaced so many items on the car that it doesn't want me to stop quite yet. I've researched a bit and it seems Bilstien is the only option for these models...I'd prefer Koni, but they don't appear to have anything ideal for these cars. I'm glad to hear the Bilstiens are holding up and worth the purchase!

Another note or inquiry, how difficult is it to swap the struts on these models versus other, not-as-awesome models? I've done many strut swaps but haven't looked into any unique setups or reasons why it might be different on the S8...Any advice? Is it a good idea to consider swapping the strut mounts as well as all the hardware? Just trying to justify and coordinate within...

2001 S8 03-28-2019 07:15 AM

Hey SC_09,

I replaced all four corners over 18 months ago. I went with Bilstein B6 all around. Along with the struts, I did the front strut mounts, front upper and lower sprint plates/seats and bump stops both front and rear.

Car definitely rides firmer with the new struts, but I was driving around on old OE struts. However, anyone that has ridden in it, since the new struts, always says, "this car rides smooth/very nice".

After around two weeks, the suspension settled and ride height was spot on in the front and 1/4" higher in the rear.

Agree with NOLAessate, if your front upper CA's are old. Replace them at the same time. The CA's will help ensure a smoother ride.

Good luck.

NOLAessate 03-28-2019 09:29 AM

+1 on the mounting hardware

Originally Posted by 2001 S8 (Post 25295529)
Hey SC_09,

I replaced all four corners over 18 months ago. I went with Bilstein B6 all around. Along with the struts, I did the front strut mounts, front upper and lower sprint plates/seats and bump stops both front and rear.

Car definitely rides firmer with the new struts, but I was driving around on old OE struts. However, anyone that has ridden in it, since the new struts, always says, "this car rides smooth/very nice".

After around two weeks, the suspension settled and ride height was spot on in the front and 1/4" higher in the rear.

Agree with NOLAessate, if your front upper CA's are old. Replace them at the same time. The CA's will help ensure a smoother ride.

Good luck.

I also had the mounting hardware, bump stops, etc replaced. I got front strut mounts from 034 Motorsports.

SC_09iduA 03-28-2019 09:55 AM

Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to swap "everything" that moves (for the most part) related to the struts. I did a inspection of the steering linkages and all seems good and nothing looks old and worn out...but upon replacing the worn struts, more will usually be determined. Thanks again!

jfrahm 03-29-2019 06:09 AM

If your control arms are suspect at all it'd be good to replace them. Front wheel bearings if never done. CV joint boots.
Bilsteins IMO are too stiff for a street car if you sometimes have to drive on worn out, potholed roads like I do.

pocketchange 05-16-2019 06:00 PM

Eibach Spring Set

I have a full set (if anyone is interested..) pc

d2noob 05-25-2019 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by 2001 S8 (Post 25295529)
Hey SC_09,

Good luck.

Hey 2001 S8,

Do you have the part numbers for the front upper and lower sprint plates/seats?