A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Cable - Transmission Behavior

Old 09-12-2006, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle guess

My car idles smooth in Park and Neutral, but really gets rough when dropped into gear (drops a few hundred rpms). My gut tells me it's torque converter related and the idle gets rough in Drive because it is now under load. The TC may not be slipping correctly or trying to grab too much. So, either the command is wrong from the computer or the command is correct, but the converter isn't functioning properly (or a combination of both). Someone else said the timing changes when a gear is selected, so maybe that's another piece to the puzzle.

I also get the death shutter where the car shakes in certain situations. It kinda feels like a manual shift car that is in a gear to high. This would support my other observation concerning the idle.

My idle solenoid appears to be functioning properly.

My next course of action is to swap out the fluid. It has been about 60,000 miles so I should get it done.

Still getting the lazy shifts and random clunks.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Another big WOW for me

85% of the hunting and thumping is gone and the throttle response is 100x better..my cable was so loose u could press the pedal half way and it still didnt move
Old 01-17-2011, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Found this thread when looking up Cable adjustment, Bentley steps here

Originally Posted by sportQ
I don't have a Bently or other technical resource, so my procedure could be incomplete or incorrect. I remember reading somewhere that an idle switch adjustment has to happen whenever a throttle cable is adjusted?
This is the adjustment as per Bentley, stolen from Tyresmoke:
  • Throttle cable is attached to accelerator pedal and to cable cam on throttle valve control part
  • Pull securing clip -2- off grooved section of throttle cable sheath.
  • Depress accelerator pedal into full throttle position.
Note:
A second mechanic is required for this step or use a spring tensioning rod braced against the steering wheel.

Vehicles with manual gearbox
[*] Adjust throttle cable by re-positioning securing clip -2- at rubber grommet -1- on support bracket -3- so that throttle valve is at full throttle position.

Vehicles with automatic gearbox
[*] Adjust throttle cable by re-positioning securing clip -2- at rubber grommet -1- on support bracket -3- so that throttle valve is fully open and kickdown switch clicks audibly.

All models
[*] Release accelerator pedal or remove spring tensioning rod.[*] After adjusting the throttle cable, check position of throttle valve at idling speed and full throttle stops.
---

My cable is so far out its actually one step off the furthest clip position, so I had to just set it on the furtherest setting and accept thats the max level of travel I can get.

I did it as above and once I did the required throttle position reset (it was idleing at 2k RPM after cable adjustment until TPS Reset!) was all good, noticeably less shunting and faster response:

TPS Reset (needed after cable adjustment).
Note that the procedure for resetting the TPS is:
-ignition on and car not running
-slowly push gas pedal to floor over 15-20sec, hold for 5-10, release slowly over 15-20sec
-turn car off for 2-3min