A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

time for lots of little things to fix (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default time for lots of little things to fix (long)

I spent part of today rewiring my blitzsafe adaptor so the plug that goes to my mps looks a little cleaner. I also hardwired my akron power PDA holder so I don't have to waste the lighter plug, also looks cleaner. Then I thought I would tackle the serp belt. Paul easy?? there is no room to get to anything under there. I see the tensioner but there is no way I can see that hole ( to put the allen key) to hold the pully back. Paul or others have you tried to repalce this belt without pulling the front end off? I also was looking at my tires, wow I have one front tire shot. I have been hearing a clunknig sound on the pass side and sure enough on the the upper control arms is a little loose and the boots broken. so I need to replace it. Also I am going to replace all 4 shocks. Both front tires have bad cupping on the inside only (I think this is due to the shocks).. But the tires on the pass side is so bad the tread is coming apart. I think due to the control arm and shocks going bad. I think I will order parts over the next week or two and make a weekend out of it. till then the car is in my garage. the only thing that worries me is that serp belt.. I still don't see any easy way to get to it.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:12 PM

Default one last thing I forgot to mention since I had the tranny done

I was looking at it under the car today, no leaks, and nice and shinny, but the engine oil pan is wet. I might have to change the gasket there. I hope after all of these little fixes I get a break for aq while and have no other issues (for at least a year would be nice.. LOL)
Old 08-27-2005, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default We (PaulW and I) did the entire TB change out on my car without....

removing the front end. The serpentine belt tensioner can be a little tough to see, but with an inspection mirror (and a friend to help) it is very doable. Getting the allen wrench into the hole is the toughest part. The wear on the inside of your tires is due to excessive camber caused by the worn control arms. I'd replace the lot of them if you haven't replaaced any of them yet.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:47 PM

Default thanks, I do think the serp belt is a 2 person job.. 4 hands needed

for sure. the control arms have been replace once already by the previous owner. I should replace the who set again. I also noticed that the light on the dash that diplays when your headlights are on is out. I have to pull the dash cluster too to replace that. now the I have just hit 100k it looks like all those little things are starting to hit. But once they are replaced I should be good for another 100k. The shocks are the orignal and have 100k on them. The tire damage and cupping could be the control arm only? the car does not bounce excessive nor are any of them leaking etc. SO maybe they are still good. the car does ride real stiff though. But I think it might be the tires it has been getting worse and these tires are just about shot. all 4 are almost bald and like I stated the one is coming apart and the other is cupped real bad only on the inside tread. the last rib on the tire. looks real bad. It seems to be even worse after I just had the car aligned..
Old 08-27-2005, 02:12 PM

Default both the upper control arms on the pass side look shot the bushings are cracked

and they are loose. I think I will replace just those 2 for now and all the shocks at the same time.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: time for lots of little things to fix (long)

If u need the extra hand on a weekend I can help out. Maybe we'll even have time to look into my vacuum leak !!!! lol

If you're interested contact me directly.