A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water in vents?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in vents?

Why does it sound like I have an ocean going through my vents sometimes?

Literally came out of my rear vents yesterday.

Is this the backed up AC deal? With the possible clogged drain tube and its recirculating into my vents??
Old 09-17-2012, 10:41 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I get that every now and then, on my car its the drains that get clogged every few years. Usually it drips on my feet if I corner the car hard enough.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pinch your nipples.......

Originally Posted by '01-S8
Why does it sound like I have an ocean going through my vents sometimes?

Literally came out of my rear vents yesterday.

Is this the backed up AC deal? With the possible clogged drain tube and its recirculating into my vents??
Here:
http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...tordrains.html
Old 09-18-2012, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

It says this could be causing misfires ?!?!?!

could this be causing my car to take 2 or 3 cranks to start sometimes??

i gotta do this asap...
Old 09-24-2012, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I was working like crazy this week and havent gotten a chance to tear apart my interior to do this project....

HOWEVER....

I did go to the car wash and spray her down because we got some ****ty weather the end of this week and its supposed to be nice for the rest of the week.... THAT BEING SAID...

When I got out of the car wash, I made a left turn and water started POURING into the passenger floor compartment.... It was a solid STREAM of water coming from top left of passenger foot space and streaming towards the door.... I didnt know what to even say i was so shocked.... But then as I continued driving I made a right turn and my feet got SOAKED....Water was no pouring out on MY side the same way....

So now Im thinking there is a serious leak or ****ed up seal somewhere and its getting into my car... ALOT....

If anyone has seen this before id love to get some input on it...

Thanks
Old 09-24-2012, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You have combination of clogged rain drain under the blower (under the hood in fresh air plenum) and VERY likely the AC evaporator drains in the cabin. The overflow from the rain drain pours down into the AC evap housing..if the AC drains were clear, it would flow on out the bottom of the car.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default water in ac vents

Originally Posted by silverd2
You have combination of clogged rain drain under the blower (under the hood in fresh air plenum) and VERY likely the AC evaporator drains in the cabin. The overflow from the rain drain pours down into the AC evap housing..if the AC drains were clear, it would flow on out the bottom of the car.
I have had this problem as well, and would like to know how exactly to fix it.
I had the sunroof drains cleared, as i understand that this can be a problem.
However, I park in a garage, and have not been exposed to rain for some time, but still get the sound of water in the AC system, (you can really hear it when the fan is on high) nad you can actually fell water coming out of the AC vents when it is really bad.)

I only get this "ocean in the ac" sound when i run the ac, so i assume it is connected.
I am guessing the AC condensation is not draining correctly, but am not sure wher to look exactly, and then what to do to fix it.
Could someone please direct me to a way to potentially fix this - is it a drain issue?

Thanks,
Nic
Old 07-11-2014, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nicaudi
I have had this problem as well, and would like to know how exactly to fix it.
I had the sunroof drains cleared, as i understand that this can be a problem.
However, I park in a garage, and have not been exposed to rain for some time, but still get the sound of water in the AC system, (you can really hear it when the fan is on high) nad you can actually fell water coming out of the AC vents when it is really bad.)

I only get this "ocean in the ac" sound when i run the ac, so i assume it is connected.
I am guessing the AC condensation is not draining correctly, but am not sure wher to look exactly, and then what to do to fix it.
Could someone please direct me to a way to potentially fix this - is it a drain issue?

Thanks,
Nic
If you read this whole thread, especially post #3 (instructional link included), you'll know.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default How to solve water collecting behind dash

Originally Posted by A 8
I get that every now and then, on my car its the drains that get clogged every few years. Usually it drips on my feet if I corner the car hard enough.
So how did you fix the issue?
Old 09-21-2018, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There are four drains in the cowl area. Two exit into the top of the wheelwell. Search "pinch your nipples" for more info. Do that here, not on google or you will get some fetish site on what to do with alligator clips and a dry cell battery

The two BIG drains are in the center of the cowl area, completely hidden from view. You need to remove the ends of the cowl center drains. They look like closed lotus flower ends, made of soft pliable rubber that is supposed to open to let water out, but they get full of leaves and debris and become clogged. You can clear them or remove them entirely. They are at the end of drain tubes that are down below behind the center fresh air inlet. There is a "how-to" somewhere where you feed down a piece of flexible copper into the drain tube which is about 1.5" diameter. I forget what I used, a coat hanger or a flexible fiberglass rod.

When the big drains clog, water will fill the cowl area and ppur into the fresh air inlet, into the HVAC ducting. That's how it gets to the back seat area.

audipages Unclogging the A8 Evaporator Drains

read down to the bottom. It starts with the condensate drains inside the cabin but then also covers the cowl drains.