A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission FAQ, How do I post a PDF Document?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Transmission FAQ, How do I post a PDF Document?

Jim Griffin (hisport) and myself have put together a simple procedure (much simplier than the Bently) to check the ATF fluid on the tranny, and I want to include what other oils are in there (final drive front and rear) and how to check those and what oil to use.

It will have all the pictures in it too. We understand a lot of people don't do it themselves, but it would be great to have something that could be printed out for your mechanics.

I can make a PDF document (probably 2-4 pages), where would I put it so people can download it?

Thanks.

Paul
Old 03-27-2002, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YES! Just what I needed! Please post and I'll be the first to look! thanks!
Old 03-27-2002, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A8 Transmission Fluid Level Checking Procedure

Okay, so I put everything together, made it a PDF document and posted it in a newly created Yahoo group.

The group is open to everyone if you want to see pictures, files, whatever, you can and you don't have to be a member. If you want to post pictures or files, then you have to join. If you have a yahoo ID already, it's really simple. I would book mark it and we can just throw stuff up there. I will try and put maintenance procedures on there.

I have posted the level checking procedure and what types and where the oil is in your tranny along with the seal replacement procedure that Jim Griffin wrote.

Please visit the site and see if you can see the files without being a member, etc.

Paul<ul><li><a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AudiA8repair/">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AudiA8repair/</a</li></ul>
Old 03-27-2002, 08:22 AM

AWESOME! This is a must have for all A8 owners. I'm checking mine this weekend, and topping it off.
Old 03-27-2002, 08:29 AM

Logged into Yahoo AudiA8repair but no messages?
Old 03-27-2002, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Go to the files hyperlink on the left, this is where you'll find it.
Old 03-27-2002, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Posted a bunch of pics, with pics of transmission plug

Got my car from Laurel, I'm very satisified. I find it hard to believe that I'm saying that, but I am. Brought it over to Just Tires for a free alignment, because I just had one in December when I put on my snow tires. When it was up on the rack, I took pictures of the rear end, tranny and front assembly.

To change the two final drive shaft seal assemblies, the final drive-rear (differential) has to be dropped, it has to have the big side cover taken off to replace the seal. Then it has to be reinstalled. I paid four hours labor for that ($400). The seals were six dollars each.

The CV joint boot was replaced, that's 2 hours. They stated that the lower front control arms(which is the link that has the bottom of the shock assembly attached to it, pics 1949 and 1950) were loose. The joint where it attaches to the hub assembly is loose internally. The knuckle assembly inside the boot. With the car up on the lift, the mechanic can hear it click when pushing up on the wheel. They wanted $1150 to replace both of them, there is a guy on ebay that will sell 2 brand new ones with shipping for $250. I might get my local mechanic to do that one.

I have included pictures of the transmission fill, it's obvious now that you unscrew the cap up there and make sure it's full. It just sits way up on the transmission pan.

Now, let's see, did I overreact on the transmission issue? I guess I did, but if in fact I did have a transmission leak, I would of prevented any further damage. No question about that. Now I have a bunch of stuff fixed on my car (including two new tie rod ends, very important) and I feel great about it.

Guess what? My keyboard isn't even getting greasy during all of this. And I know how the transmission works on this car, which I didn't know before. I use to know my 91 200q really well, but you have to figure all of this stuff out on a case by case basis.

I could of saved about $300 out of my $825 labor bill if I used an independent. Not much money in this case.

Thanks for all the help and support!

BTW, the new pictures are in a folder under pictures. You need to click on that.

Paul

GUESS WHAT? I'm going Auto Crossing on Saturday at the Great Lakes Dragway! Never done that before in a personally owned car. Went to the Skip Barber Race School once for the introduction to racing in the formula Ford, but that's my racing career! Then off to Fl for a week with my kids. I hope I'm going to put all this Audi stuff aside for a few weeks. Have to get back to work!<ul><li><a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AudiA8repair/">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AudiA8repair/</a</li></ul>
Old 03-28-2002, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Revised the Tranny Document, fixed a few Minor things, uploaded it. Get the new copy.
Old 03-28-2002, 05:48 PM
Elder Member

Default Great resource ...

Paul,

I'm looking forward to future additions!

Thanks,
Old 03-28-2002, 06:04 PM
Elder Member

Default BTW, on Sunday

you know that I'll be looking forward to a post describing your experience with an A8 at Saturday's autocross :-)

Quick Reply: Transmission FAQ, How do I post a PDF Document?