A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Question- I am sure you get alllot of 'em

Old 10-18-2008, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission Question- I am sure you get alllot of 'em

I have been doing some looking around for another Audi and to no surprise there are a ton of A8s out there for cheap with "bad" transmissions. From the research I have done the issue is in the torque converter and essentially all the cars "hunt" in 1st gear.

Most people say the car drives fine in 1st gear if you use the tiptronic feature. Lets say I buy some A8 for $2,500 that "hunts" in 1st, and I simply drive it using the tip- will this problem eventually get worse and worse eventually leading the car being completely undriveable or will I be able to drive it using tip?

Sorry if this post sounds a bit awkward- its almost 3am here in Boston.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Transmission Question- I am sure you get alllot of 'em

Hunting does not happen in first gear. Hunting is related to the torque converter clutch lock up function and is noticed in the RPM range between 1 and 2+ thousand RPM. Much above that RPM and the TCC is not expected to go into controlled slip mode. IF you were in first gear at anything above a crawl, the engine RPM will be greater than 2k and Viola! No hunting!
In fact, I often use the tip function or just the gear selector to select a gear that bumps the engine RPM above the "range of trouble".

The hunt can happen at fairly low road speeds. That may give some the idea that the transmission is in first gear. If you were to monitor the transmission function with VAG-COM, you would see that the transmission is likely in third or even fourth speed. In addition, VAG-COM would show the TC clutch being commanded into controlled slip and lockup modes while the symptoms of hunting were seen, heard and felt. The tachometer is a better tool to understand the symptoms of hunting than is the transmission selector for those without VAG-COM.

Some owners have seen milage near 100k miles after the transmissions display hunting symptoms.

The Hunt is mostly a drivability issue. comfort and convenience. (It can be pretty annoying for the driver image on such a high end car).

I am not aware of any catastrophic failures of the Tourque Converter or the transmission that is directly related to the hunting condition. It is true, that hunting stretches the application of the controlled TC slip function. But, that is what they are made to do.

There are reports both ways regarding the replacement of the TC assembly. Check the FAQ for Transmission details.

CalG
Old 10-19-2008, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was under the impression that the hunt was in the lower gears (4th and 5th). The car shifts through the gears and once it settles it hunts or the torque converter doesn't lock up.
I could be wrong, there are plenty of guys here with a ton more experience with trans issues than I.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default It occurred to me that there is enough expertise on this list to set up an on-line course.

"Understanding Your Newly Aquired D2" 13-weeks cost $?
Old 10-19-2008, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This is a really unscientific answer, but I think tipping will help matters some. I always felt my previous A8 (a '98) spent too much time in higher gears, especially when climbing hills. I got into the habit of always tipping up semi-steep to steep hills to hold it in lower gears. Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thank you guys so much for the input

I am still on the lookout for one... I have always admired the look and performance of these cars :-)