A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission woes - The inevitable second transmission failure!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I did the filter and fluid on my A6 4.2 (same trans) I got about 4L out of it. A lot gets lost inside the trans and converter.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

The converter holds a ton, then there is maybe 500ml that you cannot drain but can tip out of the pan (bloodbath the driveway) when you pull the pan. I think I needed 6l or so after doing the filter and the TransGo valve.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

...although I think the only thing I'd put back into that trans pan are tears.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This job is a nightmare, from the hex bolts full of grime/leaking oil from the engine, to grinding down that bit, and now trying to remove the old gasket. I'm "really" looking forward to the filling part! I did actual jack the car up a few more inches so it positively cavernous under the car now. Wonder what a shop actually charges to do this job? The only reason I'm doing it and not call the tow truck to tow the bugger away is because I have the mistake idea that I'll get a different D2 in the near future that will indeed need the same ridiculous job performed on it at some stage. /end of rant!

Any tips on how to remove the old gasket, I got some gasket remover, I've tried to use a mini heat gun too ...... !

TransGo valve??
Old 02-01-2018, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default RIP.....

Ok so she's done, the fluid pumping went well and
Old 02-01-2018, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Rip

Disregard the last post this page is going a little crazy with auto restore.

Anyhow it’s with a sad heart that I tell you today on the way home from a doctors visit for my significant other who broke her foot and can only drive an automatic right now my vehicle went into limp mode. Actually quite ironic as I turned to her literally on the way to the doctors visit and said wow it’s great that i was able to fix the transmission. I got the usual look of one’s spouse who knows nothing about cars and cares even less. Now of course she is mad because we have a junker sitting in the front of our house and the other car we have is a stick! That she can’t drive.

so it’s off to post an ad for $1000 on the local craigslist site here in Colorado.

at least now I have the expertise to change out the fluid right although I think will be replacing it with some kind of battery powered car 😱
Old 02-01-2018, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it worked properly (even if temporarily) after the fluid change, there's nothing mechanically wrong with the box.
It will be valve body or electrical.
F125 maybe?
Transgo valve is also another excellent idea.
Mine had a broken pressure pipe for one of the clutches, though I don't think that would be very common...
Old 02-02-2018, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Somewhere I've seen a post saying it wouldn't hurt the trans to drive it in limp mode. (I don't know if it's true.) Probably wouldn't want to do this long term, but in a pinch...
Old 02-02-2018, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just need to squeeze out the last dollar. I did drive 30 miles and take off is slow in 3rd but who know. The only thing I noticed is that it violently shunts into drive, not sure what other negatives are. I just don't have the time or want to throw the funds at her anymore.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:12 PM
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hillpc
Somewhere I've seen a post saying it wouldn't hurt the trans to drive it in limp mode. (I don't know if it's true.) Probably wouldn't want to do this long term, but in a pinch...

For cars equipped with the ZF 5HP-24A that has a blown clutch A drum, if you don't burn the clutch that 5th gear needs to work, you could probably drive it for a long time. One of our project cars, driven gently, has been running like that for 2 years. Another of our project cars with the same problem, I got cavalier (inspired by the longevity of the first car in this mode) and so I revved the engine too high while accelerating from stop lights. Soon I'd burned out the clutch needed by 5th gear and that meant sayonara to that drum too ...from then on the A8 refused to move except in reverse. So the approach I would have taken, had I been smarter, would have been to baby it whenever I pulled away from a stop .... certainly nothing about 2000 rpm when starting off.

Quick Reply: Transmission woes - The inevitable second transmission failure!