A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission woes - The inevitable second transmission failure!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ocles_inc

For cars equipped with the ZF 5HP-24A that has a blown clutch A drum, if you don't burn the clutch that 5th gear needs to work, you could probably drive it for a long time. One of our project cars, driven gently, has been running like that for 2 years. Another of our project cars with the same problem, I got cavalier (inspired by the longevity of the first car in this mode) and so I revved the engine too high while accelerating from stop lights. Soon I'd burned out the clutch needed by 5th gear and that meant sayonara to that drum too ...from then on the A8 refused to move except in reverse. So the approach I would have taken, had I been smarter, would have been to baby it whenever I pulled away from a stop .... certainly nothing about 2000 rpm when starting off.
yes thanks again for reminding me of this and today I did get a little more adventurous driving around with her. Although I feel it is a little dangerous pulling out in front of someone even with a large amount of space and driving really slowly of course I know this is a classic bad driver thing most people do around here. One just needs to leave a really really big gap and in busy traffic around here taking kids to school I can see myself getting into trouble. I’m actually having a hard time of getting rid of this vehicle kind of sad really was offered $250 from a junkyard sad face. Of course is the donation thing but that’s just reduces your taxable earnings by the amount the car is worth not really worth the effort. This car is big and light would make a great electric car conversion of course I don’t have a transmission to perhaps one doesn’t even need one.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:28 PM
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ThaboTheWuff

yes thanks again for reminding me of this and today I did get a little more adventurous driving around with her. Although I feel it is a little dangerous pulling out in front of someone even with a large amount of space and driving really slowly of course I know this is a classic bad driver thing most people do around here. One just needs to leave a really really big gap and in busy traffic around here taking kids to school I can see myself getting into trouble. I’m actually having a hard time of getting rid of this vehicle kind of sad really was offered $250 from a junkyard sad face. Of course is the donation thing but that’s just reduces your taxable earnings by the amount the car is worth not really worth the effort. This car is big and light would make a great electric car conversion of course I don’t have a transmission to perhaps one doesn’t even need one.
I can imagine it'd be super sad to sell this. The A8 is an amazing-to-me car. As to donations, last I looked they actually help as a tax write-off only when you itemized your deductions. Many folks don't realize this until it's too late.

~Tanya
Old 02-08-2018, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

That is tough. Sadly in the USA car donation is no longer viable as you cannot just write off a claim of value of the car. Instead you get a form showing what the charity sells it for, unless they fix it and use it themselves (this is unlikely). So you donate the car, the charity usually wholesales it for very little and you can write that much off.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jfrahm
That is tough. Sadly in the USA car donation is no longer viable as you cannot just write off a claim of value of the car. Instead you get a form showing what the charity sells it for, unless they fix it and use it themselves (this is unlikely). So you donate the car, the charity usually wholesales it for very little and you can write that much off.
I still have the trans you sold me Joel, I ended up wrecking the front end of my car before swapping it in. I miss my car a lot and would love to have another but ended up in a Saab for the meantime.

OP - if you're interested in a FUN code trans that has original low miles and a transgo valve let me know. I'm not actually sure if it would be compatible or not. It would probably still cost you a lot to get it swapped in though.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oh wow. Sorry to hear that. I love Saabs though. Maybe Tanya would want it if you are ever headed West and over Donner pass.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:12 PM
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still trying to wrangle things so I can get the whole car to Nevada, to buy it ... as to the separate used transmission, the less someone else has been inside it after it left the ZF factory, the higher I typically value it .. .. so I'm focused on the car without the separate transmission ....ideally.

I'm still trying to figure it out ... basically 928 miles from CO to my shop, and it can't go up the Rockies in 5th in my opinion, so highway 25 N maybe and then 80 West. That car is too nice to end up in a junkyard, methinks. I'm not saying I won't also dismantle it but with me it's a lot less likely to happen.

~Tanya
Old 02-14-2018, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Odds are the car is in Orem or thereabouts . Maybe you can show up with a radiator and some coathanger wire and roadkill up a solution, drive it back the 550 miles or so. Be sure to stop at Siegfried's Delicatessen.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the original topic of the thread, I’m having a wonderful time selling my D2 on craigslist. One person who emailed me back and forward at least six times finally came and said what the transmission doesn’t work! Also the a murder’s mother, local case of guy who killed another young guy, is looking for a car too. Of course half of them probably are sitting in some Internet café in Lagos Nigeria :-) It’s a lot of bloody work for $500 but entertaining nonetheless.

lent my wife the car yesterday she drove it to work and back but I think we both agree that if you have to drive in heavy traffic and need to pulling in front of cars to merge it’s pretty dangerous. On a sidenote took our loaner is E39 for a ride yesterday wow wow wow an amazing car tn the twisties bloody unbelievable and it’s a 2002 530i with a buggered control arm on the front supposedly.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oh, I see, getting Thabo's car from CO to NV. Not Dr. A8's.