A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans issue '97 A8

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans issue '97 A8

Just over 2 years ago I sold my '97 A8 and have had an itch to get one again. I've run my old VIN a few times here and there to see if it's still on the road. I even saw it listed for sale a year after I sold it but listing it with a trans issue. A call to him pretty much confirmed - would drive fine and then the PRNDL would light up solid and trans went into limp mode. I then saw it listed for sale a couple months after that with no mention of the trans issue, but doubtful that it was resolved. Today I ran the VIN again and saw that on 7/28/18 the title was surrendered as scrapped vehicle. Rest in pieces old girl....

So I came across another '97 A8 for sale which I have a question on. Has approx 150k on it and the seller says that most of the time it drives fine, but intermittently after starting the engine, it won't go into any gear, forward or reverse. Could happen after it sat for awhile (days) or after driving and restarting. Let the car sit a few days and it drives fine. He had a non-Audi shop look at it and they think it may be a solenoid issue, but they aren't familiar with Audi's. Mileage wise it seems to be in the sweet spot for having a bad trans, but the symptoms don't sound like the failure. I haven't heard of one not moving in any gear.

I'm passing on this one but just curious as to what you guys think may be the problem? Guy was a talker and wouldn't let me get a word in edge wise so I don't have much more information. No codes or access to pull any.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Strange. I wouldn't think the trans needs any electricity or signals to move the car, in gear, if the shifter cable is working, and the valve that's being moved by it in the valve body is moving correctly. I'd think something mechanical is suspect.

Would they install a trans that goes dead if the wires to it get cut? Maybe today, I'm thinking. But a D2?
Old 09-23-2018, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe my premise is incorrect, that the solenoid positions can't disable the trans from moving. But when limp (failsafe) mode is enabled, power to all the solenoids (pin 12) is killed. The car then moves in only R or 5th gear. But that doesn't necessarily mean that a solenoid may not have stuck in the "on" position, and this somehow disables movement. I don't know enough about the solenoid logic to say. I've attached some info from the ATSG manual; someone may know how to interpret this.