A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower valve body casting replacement

Old 03-10-2018, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Lower valve body casting replacement

I was revisiting an old thread here about replacing valve bodies:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...issue-2924119/

The casting price dropped to $186, with shipping it's $205 so I decided to take the plunge. My S8 at 108K or so has a TransGo valve in the original VB and that's been working fine. However I was not comfortable with the VB wear and vowed if I had any more issues I'd go in after that VB. I have not had any issues however replacing that VB seems like the right thing to do and I'll have fewer worries when it's done. Fewer worries for $250 (VB plus gasket plus Valvoline synthetic ATF)? That sounds like a bargain.

I have one of my P-cars up right now finishing up the timing belt and rod bearings and whatnot so I won't break ground on this project until April-ish but I will be sure to update this thread when I am back soaking my noggin in ATF in the early spring.
Good thing I put hex heads in the two tight-clearance pan bolt locations as the next poor schmuck pulling that pan will be me. Again.

-Joel.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jfrahm
The casting price dropped to $186, with shipping it's $205 so I decided to take the plunge.
Joel,

From where is this price quoted? Is this an empty casting or is complete with valve/springs and whatnot?
Old 03-10-2018, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Looks like you swap your internals over to the new casting:
Valve Body Housing 5HP24 - 5HP30

Probably no big deal:
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...ValveBlock.jpg
Old 03-11-2018, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE
Probably no big deal:
[url]http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii29/GearShift2008/LowerFrontValveBlock.jpg[/QUOTE]

Its probably not that big a deal but for $285 you could have a new casting assembled complete with all the valves for a simple swap out.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That sounds like a better option for most, or maybe even me. I just got canceled and refunded from the CTSC so I called Eriksson. They have it, but you have to call and order on the phone. Shipping it today, probably $75 cheaper. I wonder if it'll be complete, refurbished, new? Who knows. The part is $115 plus ground shipping but I did not hang out on the phone to see what the total was going to be.

The casting I believe is the same part for all the 5HP24A and maybe even the 30s but he needed my trans code so it might come loaded with the S8 springs and whatnot.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default hope its complete

Yes you have to call and order on the phone.
Did you ask for a complete casting? Were you charged a core charge? We'll find out soon enough I guess.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No core charge, under $130 including ground shipping. I asked for the smaller, lower valve body and he said "the one that cracks?" I have seem posts on it cracking so yes I believe that is it. Given the price I'll be happy with just the casting, I want to put the TransGo valve in anyway and the other valves and springs look easy enough.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So I ended up with a different casting from what I needed. The casting I need is around $150 so probably $165 shipped. I should have gotten a part number and checked, I am not used to working over the phone without part numbers and such, I assumed the dealer knew what needed to be replaced and was way ahead of me but I guess this other VB can also fail?
Eriksson is going to sort it out. The casting I want is 1058 427 022 or 1058427022

Maybe I should check this other valve body while I am in there, before I return the replacement? Does anyone know what symptoms arise from this crack?
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-5hp24-151994/

My trans seems fine but my lower VB was pretty worn when I put the TransGo in, so I am going to replace it.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Part came in, job is done. It was pretty straightforward however there are a couple sneaky parts in the VB that need to be swapped over.

This vid was helpful:

I watched one of Gary's vids regarding the crack on the upper VB housing and I have no symptoms like he described so I did not dig that casting out to check it.
The car drives great with the new lower VB, it drove fine before though I just knew there was more wear in that bore than I was comfortable with.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Following up on this. The car is shifting like a dream with the new lower VB casting, TransGo valve, and fresh Valvoline MaxLife synthetic ATF (LT 71141, etc. spec). Initially I put one of the valves in backwards, one of the TCC control valves next to the main pressure control valve, which I have worked with many times. That was just me being too confident and as a result I got a "Fault Code P0741 - Torque Converter Clutch: Stuck OFF / No Power being transferred".

In the (awesome) VCDS datalogs I saw that I got no TCC lockup, when the TCC locked I still had slip and then the TCU stopped trying to operate the TCC, then after a few miles or drives I got the code.
Another $12 gasket and $40 in ATF and all the rest of it later I sheepishly reinstalled everything the right way and it's been perfect ever since. I am not really sure it shifts better than it did with the worn VB and TransGo Valve but I sure feel better about it. It's a pretty nice car and it galled me a bit running that worn part in the transmission.

I sure am glad I put those two hex heads in the hard-to-reach area of the trans pan, it's easy to get the pan off with no messing with the exhaust (at least on the S8).

-Joel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lower valve body casting replacement