A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

West Michigan mechanic

Old 08-23-2017, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default West Michigan mechanic

I'm looking for someone to change fuel pump in my wife's 1998 A8.

there are probably a dozen commercial sources in West Michigan but I'm looking for someone whose willing to use my parts. I had the pump changed on another D2 I had back then. A brand new $$$$$ pump was installed. I kept the old unit. Got just the pump component and installed it in the unit. Since the unit is all plastic and doesn't wear out, it's essentially "rebuilt" like new.

I'm looking for someone willing to do the job AND KNOWS HOW TO DO IT!.

If anyone knows a shop or is local and willing to do it, that would be great. Alternatively, does anyone who knows how to do this and have or plans to go to Eurohanger car show next year held in Holland, MI? Instead of a motel, you can stay at my house which is less than 3 miles from the show.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you've already changed the fuel pump in your module, then changing out the module is a pretty quick and simple change. Just follow what they do in this video, except you can skip all the parts in the middle where they take the module apart to replace the pump.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks, but...... As mentioned, a shop replaced the complete unit in my 2000. I kept the old unit. There was a similar video on how to replace he internal pump. Took apart, cleaned strainer, complete housing, installed new internal pump. Wrapped in plastic to keep dust out and it's sitting on my shelf because I knew my wife's 1998 was going to need a pump. That day isn't here yet, but with 175,000 miles, I want to do it as preventative.

Siting on a big stool in front of my workbench with lots of overhead light and everything handy nearby, it was easy. Now, cut the entire back part of the trunk, trunk lid and rear bumper etc and get them out of the way and jack up the car to bench height. That would allow me to sit and comfortably do the steps shown in this video. Cutting the back off the car??? Why???? Although cutting the car would ruin it, doing so would be easier that getting my 72 yr old, 300 lb and extremely inflexible body into the trunk to do this job.

This might give you an idea why I was looking for someone to do it for me. To answer your question, yes, I'm too old and too fat to do this kind of crap. If a project doesn't involve bending over, crawling under contorting my body, then i can do it. I can remember years back replacing the pump on a 1986 5000. I was much younger more flexible and still I couldn't fit in the trunk, I took out the back seat and cut a big access hole in the sheet metal behind the seat to reach the pump access hole.

On top of all this, I also watched a video showing removal and installation of the whole unit like this video. One caution was how tricky it was to get the unit seated on a guide pin at the bottom of the tank. In the video, the guy took off the sending unit on the left side of the trunk. Then he used a boroscope to "see" where the pump mated with that pin.

Even if i were younger, more flexible, it would be handy to have a boroscope to help guide the unit in but it's a moot point unless I can loose 100 lbs and turn back the clock maybe 10 yrs.

Sure would like to find someone from West Michigan to do this job for me.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got that done last week by a local shop 312$ labor.Its 200 miles from you.

Search this Thread