A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What aftermarket exhaust will sound like Ronin S8?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2000, 09:34 AM
Bart A. Lane

Default What aftermarket exhaust will sound like Ronin S8?

Hi,

I have a 2000 A8 and really liked the way the car sounded in Ronin. I read in an article that they tried many different exhausts on the car to get that tough European sound. Any idea what aftermarket system will sound like that? Thanks.
Old 01-18-2000, 10:03 AM
Calvin

Midas now offers eurpoean OEM exhausts for most german brands, apparently they are owned by some big
Old 01-18-2000, 01:13 PM
Marcus A.

I heard that somewhere else too, maybe I will check it out on my way home tonight - thanks!
Old 01-18-2000, 04:13 PM
CaryB

post results and let us know what you find out.
Old 01-18-2000, 06:07 PM
Chicago Joe

Default Midas is now independent

They were owned by PepsiCo Whitman. Whitman spun off Midas, and PepsiCo currently only owns 40% of Whitman.<ul><li><a href="http://www.hoovers.com/co/capsule/0/0,2163,53960,00.html">Midas Corporate Information</a></li></ul>
Old 01-18-2000, 06:07 PM
Chicago Joe

I'd be curious if there's something for the S4
Old 01-20-2000, 08:37 AM
Sean T

Default I think I read somewhere that the Ronin S8 sounds was a dubbed over M5....

Anybody know?
Sean
Old 01-20-2000, 10:33 AM
Jimmy Pribble

Default Well, I just listened to the DVD commentary again...

...and all the director says is that his sound guy took all of the cars to a racetrack and recorded all of their sounds to use in the chase scenes. I assume if someone is going to go through that trouble, they would use the appropriate sounds for each car. Besides, there is no way that a 24V I6 sounds anything like a 40V V8. I'm guessing that the S8 sounds just like it did in Ronin (hopefully without all of the crashing sounds!).

HTH,

Jimmy<ul><li><a href="http://www.urs4.com">UrS4.com</a></li></ul>
Old 01-20-2000, 03:27 PM
antony

Default Bravo! I agree. Why can't we accept that...

...maybe the S8 sounds as good as it does in the film. John Frankenheimer is a well known car afficianado (sounds better than nut), and went to a lot of care and attention in making those Ronin chase sequences. If he's going to resort to tricks in the soundtrack, then I'm sure he'd have used more tricks (speeded up film, computer graphics etc) in the editing too. After all, Frankenheimer directed Grand Prix, one of the greatest racing movies of all time...<ul><li><a href="http://www.babypartner.com">News Website For Expectant Parents</a></li></ul>
Old 01-20-2000, 07:55 PM
Bill Mills

Default Re: Bravo! I agree. Why can't we accept that...

It's kind of interesting though that he makes a remark during one of the S8 chase scenes in the secondary audio track containg his running commentary indicating that he doesn't think the S8 is inteded for that kind of driving even though he picked it as a chase/getaway car.

Quick Reply: What aftermarket exhaust will sound like Ronin S8?