A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do? Im losy

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do? Im losy

As a bunch of you may remember Ive gone through some trouble with my S8. Blown motor, rebuilt tranny. All within 3 months of each other. Yada yada.... things have been fixed, fresh rebuild and a 60k motor installed.

Well the car has been great and I absolutely love her. But im scared about my transmission. -_____-

It seems to still act up from time to time and Im unsure as to what to do about it since its intermittent. Things i feel the car doing from driving it everyday and knowing her tendencies, every skip or little miss I feel immediately. I have scanned the car with VAGCOM about a month ago and a few times before that. I never show any kind of transmission codes or fault whenever I scan it.

The symptoms I get from the transmission now are a few different things. First is a hard shift in and out of first. Doesnt happen all the time. Barely ever actually. But there have def been a few times I felt her shifting harder than normal in and out of first. More times coming to a stop or red light. The second, and much more annoying and worrysome, is sometimes when I get on it a bit from a stop it gives me what feels like half the power i should be getting. It feels like its "there" but its being restricted. Now the weirdest part of all of this is, if i let off the pedal and get right back on it, BOOM all the power is there and shes out.

idk what to do bc like i said its intermittent. Fluid level of tranny is full, just checked.

any ideas on what to do gurus?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2013, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by '01-S8
The second, and much more annoying and worrysome, is sometimes when I get on it a bit from a stop it gives me what feels like half the power i should be getting. It feels like its "there" but its being restricted. Now the weirdest part of all of this is, if i let off the pedal and get right back on it, BOOM all the power is there and shes out.
A couple of questions and comments:

Was the car at a dead stop when you felt the loss in power?

If not, these cars are very prone to NOT downshifting to 1st in a rolling stop...off and on the gas will downshift it or leaving it floored for a couple of seconds will too.

If you were at a dead stop and pretty sure it was in 1st, did you look at the display while accelerating hard? It's possible that the loss in power is the ESP (traction control) killing the throttle.
If even 1 of the 4 ABS wheel sensors is dirty or failing (or has a bad connection), it can generate a slippage signal. If it isn't cured by EDL braking the slipping wheel (which may not really be slipping), step 2 in traction control is to kill or suppress the electronic throttle. Your ESP symbol should be on or flickering during throttle intervention.

You may want to try turning off the ESP and then accelerating hard from a dead stop. If it still kills power, then you've ruled out traction control doing it.

Occasional hard downshifts to 1st seems to be common behavior with these tran's...don't know if it's an actual failure or not...maybe a sticky valve or TCM thing...I dunno. Before I changed atf and filter, mine was doing doing a hard (not a slam, but just noticeable) downshift to 1st maybe once in every 7-10 times pulling to a stop. After fluid and filter service, it seems to be maybe once every 20-25 times...I've grown to accept it as "normal" behavior, because all other shifting is perfect.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Im starting from a stop when I get the second feeling of no power.

And it doesnt help with continued throttle either... One time I let it shift before I got off and back on it. and when i did.... wham! power was back.

I was thinking it had to do with the brake controller... letting off brake and quickly getting on throttle and ECU isnt computing the change fast enough?

I have let my friend drive the car for a couple days, even came an hour each away to pick me up at airport. He said he has no idea what the hell im talking about with tranny issues. And he is a car nut as well. (500hp S/C M3) Said he never felt anything to make him even think of it.

i just cant do the transmission thing again... me OR my wallet.

My warranty was one year or 12k miles... whichever was first. And im real close to both.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately it is a built-in feature. It goes back to the 80's with the unintended acceleration. Basically you move your foot from brake to thottle too fast and the car thinks that your foot slipped off the brake. All thottle by wire Audi has this.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tozoM8
Unfortunately it is a built-in feature. It goes back to the 80's with the unintended acceleration. Basically you move your foot from brake to thottle too fast and the car thinks that your foot slipped off the brake. All thottle by wire Audi has this.

does this mean you have felt the same restriction of power and im not losing my mind?

and if so, i knew i was fast..... but not too fast...

hahaha

Last edited by '01-S8; 04-03-2013 at 04:56 AM.