A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is this in my key?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is this in my key?

I was taking my key apart today to find a battery for the light on the key and found this little capsule w/a brass thing inside it. It goes into the little slot inside the key and doesn't seem to connect to anything.

Is it some type of James Bond transmitter so the NSA can keep tabs on me? Perhaps a cyanide pill incase I have to do myself in to protect my countries secrets? Or is it just something to do with the ignition security system?

This is on my 97 Audi A8 (non folding key obviously).

Just curious what it might be.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2013, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is the transponder ID48 matched to your immobilizer. The key won't work without it.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dreamhope
This is the transponder ID48 matched to your immobilizer. The key won't work without it.
thanks, I figured that's probably what it was. But being only one of three people in the office today during a big snow storm it was much more exciting to think of it as something more interesting/007-ish.

So next question is, since I have an immobilizer can I get a flip key programmed for my car as in this procedure:

flip key coding

I only have the one key for the car and I managed to put it and the key fob through a load of wash. Now the fob doesn't work. If you can even find the fob, they're extremely expensive. Was hoping to get a flip key and fob to add to the car.

Thanks again.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by nyrobbie77
So next question is, since I have an immobilizer can I get a flip key programmed for my car as in this procedure:

flip key coding

I only have the one key for the car and I managed to put it and the key fob through a load of wash. Now the fob doesn't work. If you can even find the fob, they're extremely expensive. Was hoping to get a flip key and fob to add to the car.
I would suggest yes, but that will only program the remote for keyless entry.
It has nothing to do with the immobiliser!
Programmng the immobiliser is a whole other kettle of fish - it requires a copy of VCDS and and you need the PIN code for the immobiliser or dash (depending on model around that time), which is nearly impossible to find! VAGTACHO might be able to decode it.
Easiest thing is to get a flip key with the correct transponder (dreamhope suggested ID48, which sounds about right) see if the remote programs as per your link, get the key cut (you might need this first as the remote programming procedure needs two keys), then go to the dealer for immobiliser programming...

There's also the chance that your car does not have an active immobiliser, as for some reason early B5s in the US weren't fitted with them...
Old 12-14-2013, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think Vag K+Can Commander can retrieve the PIN for early models. I'm trying to code one this week (still waiting for the transponder; only new ones can be coded). Basically in Vag K+Can Commander the PIN is shown directly under Instrument Cluster for pre-facelift D2s. Alternatively, K+Can Commander can also read the EEPROM of the ECU. Supposedly the PIN is right there (in hex).

My understanding is that unless you want the remote to work, any key fob would do. Make sure you fix the transponder somewhere inside. My guess is that any VAG key fob with remote can be adapted (if they share the same frequency); at least the ones from the same period should work (roughly 95-04?).
Old 12-14-2013, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamhope
I think Vag K+Can Commander can retrieve the PIN for early models. I'm trying to code one this week (still waiting for the transponder; only new ones can be coded). Basically in Vag K+Can Commander the PIN is shown directly under Instrument Cluster for pre-facelift D2s. Alternatively, K+Can Commander can also read the EEPROM of the ECU. Supposedly the PIN is right there (in hex).

My understanding is that unless you want the remote to work, any key fob would do. Make sure you fix the transponder somewhere inside. My guess is that any VAG key fob with remote can be adapted (if they share the same frequency); at least the ones from the same period should work (roughly 95-04?).
Your car doesn't have immobilizer so you can get a flip key for it on ebay. Look for the FCC ID: MZ2 410 819 6 3
Old 12-15-2013, 01:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tozoM8
Your car doesn't have immobilizer so you can get a flip key for it on ebay. Look for the FCC ID: MZ2 410 819 6 3
It has an immobilizer, and I need to code the flip key I bought from eBay. Early US models don't have it.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My bad, I meant to reply to the OP. His car doesn't have immobilizer.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

I tried to retrieve the PIN with Vag Commander today. Seems like my generic OBDII cable won't work (or the downloaded Vag Commander won't?) I can only read the cluster EEPROM but the login isn't shown. I can't read ECU EEPROM.

I'll try an eBay cable. If that doesn't work, the local dealer charges 78 to programme the keys.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tozoM8
My bad, I meant to reply to the OP. His car doesn't have immobilizer.
according to my RPO codes/build sheet I got from the dealer my car does have the immobilizer. there's also a sticker on the rear doors, but maybe that is just for the interior protection.

I suppose one way to know for sure is to take that little bit out of my key and see if it starts and stays running.

Quick Reply: what is this in my key?