AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/)
-   -   What is your GAS MPG? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/what-your-gas-mpg-2806064/)

khmeraudi 05-17-2011 05:51 PM

What is your GAS MPG?
 
I wonder what other people are getting on their car.

I am getting 19.5MPG in city/HWY and how can I improve my MPG. Everyday I drive to work at 70-80MPH

2001 Audi A8 L

This is my first Audi, I had 2002 Infiniti Q45 it was the best but I crashed due to Cheap Chinese tires. I roll off the road during rainy day. Never going to buy Chinese made tires again, its not good in the rain. It was call hercules tires.

silverd2 05-17-2011 06:02 PM


Originally Posted by khmeraudi (Post 24145595)
I wonder what other people are getting on their car.

I am getting 19.5MPG in city/HWY and how can I improve my MPG. Everyday I drive to work at 70-80MPH

2001 Audi A8 L

This is my first Audi, I had 2002 Infiniti Q45 it was the best but I crashed due to Cheap Chinese tires. I roll off the road during rainy day. Never going to buy Chinese made tires again, its not good in the rain. It was call hercules tires.

The only thing you can do to improve your mileage is get a smaller car...or coast everywhere you go :)

19.5mpg combined city/highway means everything is in good shape. 100% highway, you'll get about 24mpg max.
It's a 4156 lb car with a 310hp V8 and fat tires...physics is physics...forget about gas mileage, enjoy the ride and the power.

This is an infinitely better, safer and more sophisticated car than a Q45...a whole different animal...be happy for the improvement.

hA8torade 05-18-2011 03:47 PM

I'm getting 16.6 mpg right now, but it's predominantly city/congested highway driving (sucks). Silverd2 is right, you're getting pretty decent mileage, but you can do a few things like: 1.) make sure your tires are properly inflated, checking while cold 2.) change your spark plugs 3.)change out your air filter 4.) remove everything from trunk including your spare tire (not reccomended).

Gr8White 05-18-2011 07:43 PM

Realistically, I average around 17.5-18.5. On a roadtrip with 89 octane, ethonal-free gas, and a steady 65 mph, the eight yielded 30.6 mpg. I realize that none of us routinely drive with those conditions; but, it was nice to see what our D2's are capable of. Anyone else notice how thirsty our rides get with ethonal-blended gas???

AndreNY 05-19-2011 05:29 AM

your getting good gas milage overall for an A8, on the hgwy those cars will do 25MPG the S8 barely gets 20.

silverd2 05-19-2011 06:40 AM


Originally Posted by Gr8White (Post 24146113)
Anyone else notice how thirsty our rides get with ethonal-blended gas???

Yep...too much ethanol is a horrible idea. Converted cars that run on E85 loose around 25% mpg (compression too low to take advantage), therefore torque/horsepower...and alcohol is highly corrosive and unlike gasoline, non-lubricating.
Car poison!! :)

khmeraudi 05-19-2011 06:45 AM

I was getting 19.6mpg until I changed the spark plug. How do I reset the service light after the oil change on these car? My next step is to take the EGR valve and clean it. Hopefully this will improve more MPG, I wonder when people bought this car new what was their MPG display.

silverd2 05-19-2011 06:59 AM


Originally Posted by khmeraudi (Post 24146255)
I was getting 19.6mpg until I changed the spark plug. How do I reset the service light after the oil change on these car? My next step is to take the EGR valve and clean it. Hopefully this will improve more MPG, I wonder when people bought this car new what was their MPG display.

Are you actually reading the posts below? ...19.6 is GOOD for combined. Combined is really NO indication of actual gas mileage..no 2 combined readings are the same...everyone drives different combos of hwy and city.
There is ONE way to check mileage accurately and it is NOT the readout in the car (VERY inaccurate):
Fill the tank, reset trip odo, drive to and from (only way to insure equal up and down hill...level average) a far destination, refill tank, divide miles traveled by gallons to refill.
There is NO other way to get a true reading...too many variables!

Service reminder reset:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...rvice+reminder

rellascout 05-19-2011 08:05 AM

1998 A8 and I get about 17-18 MPG city/highway... with more miles towards city.

On the last longer trip I got about 23-24 MPG with driving 70 to 80+ MPG.

killerwatts 05-23-2011 05:24 AM

mileage
 

Originally Posted by hA8torade (Post 24146000)
I'm getting 16.6 mpg right now, but it's predominantly city/congested highway driving (sucks). Silverd2 is right, you're getting pretty decent mileage, but you can do a few things like: 1.) make sure your tires are properly inflated, checking while cold 2.) change your spark plugs 3.)change out your air filter 4.) remove everything from trunk including your spare tire (not reccomended).

I live in chicagoland area and our traffic is pretty bad but I average around 20-22 combined. I just drove to Maryland and I actually was getting 31 MPG as shown on display at one point. I do not doubt the accuracy of the display as it changes to match the conditions you are driving at such as high speed (MPG go down), Normal speed (MPG is best), Hills (MPG decrease) etc. I took a picture of my display showing me doing 70 MPH and the MPG display showing 31.0. at that point I had been driving steady and constant 65-70 based on traffic for awhile. I let my gas gauge reach the point whereby the display showed that I could go 5 more miles til empty. Based upon the amount of gas I put in at the fill-up I would say it was scary accurate. Now I do have high confidence that the numbers the display shows are quite accurate. As for the original poster's mileage dilemma he is getting decent mileage (and that is based on the conditions he may be encountering on a daily basis). But in all the suggestions such as spark plugs, air filter, oil (does make a difference) etc no one mentioned oxygen sensors. I have not replaced them in this A8L but have in my original A8 I replaced them as he result of a check engine light diagnosis which revealed a bad O2 sensor. He never stated if he had a check engine light on. I will post my display picture when I complete the return portion of my trip just in case I get something better. Also since I'm in the area I'm gonna drop by southern Electronics and see if they may be able to fix LED issue in cluster (that is only if they don't need a few days)


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:22 PM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands