AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/)
-   -   What is your GAS MPG? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/what-your-gas-mpg-2806064/)

khmeraudi 05-17-2011 05:51 PM

What is your GAS MPG?

I wonder what other people are getting on their car.

I am getting 19.5MPG in city/HWY and how can I improve my MPG. Everyday I drive to work at 70-80MPH

2001 Audi A8 L

This is my first Audi, I had 2002 Infiniti Q45 it was the best but I crashed due to Cheap Chinese tires. I roll off the road during rainy day. Never going to buy Chinese made tires again, its not good in the rain. It was call hercules tires.

silverd2 05-17-2011 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by khmeraudi (Post 24145595)
I wonder what other people are getting on their car.

I am getting 19.5MPG in city/HWY and how can I improve my MPG. Everyday I drive to work at 70-80MPH

2001 Audi A8 L

This is my first Audi, I had 2002 Infiniti Q45 it was the best but I crashed due to Cheap Chinese tires. I roll off the road during rainy day. Never going to buy Chinese made tires again, its not good in the rain. It was call hercules tires.

The only thing you can do to improve your mileage is get a smaller car...or coast everywhere you go :)

19.5mpg combined city/highway means everything is in good shape. 100% highway, you'll get about 24mpg max.
It's a 4156 lb car with a 310hp V8 and fat tires...physics is physics...forget about gas mileage, enjoy the ride and the power.

This is an infinitely better, safer and more sophisticated car than a Q45...a whole different animal...be happy for the improvement.

hA8torade 05-18-2011 03:47 PM

I'm getting 16.6 mpg right now, but it's predominantly city/congested highway driving (sucks). Silverd2 is right, you're getting pretty decent mileage, but you can do a few things like: 1.) make sure your tires are properly inflated, checking while cold 2.) change your spark plugs 3.)change out your air filter 4.) remove everything from trunk including your spare tire (not reccomended).

Gr8White 05-18-2011 07:43 PM

Realistically, I average around 17.5-18.5. On a roadtrip with 89 octane, ethonal-free gas, and a steady 65 mph, the eight yielded 30.6 mpg. I realize that none of us routinely drive with those conditions; but, it was nice to see what our D2's are capable of. Anyone else notice how thirsty our rides get with ethonal-blended gas???

AndreNY 05-19-2011 05:29 AM

your getting good gas milage overall for an A8, on the hgwy those cars will do 25MPG the S8 barely gets 20.

silverd2 05-19-2011 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Gr8White (Post 24146113)
Anyone else notice how thirsty our rides get with ethonal-blended gas???

Yep...too much ethanol is a horrible idea. Converted cars that run on E85 loose around 25% mpg (compression too low to take advantage), therefore torque/horsepower...and alcohol is highly corrosive and unlike gasoline, non-lubricating.
Car poison!! :)

khmeraudi 05-19-2011 06:45 AM

I was getting 19.6mpg until I changed the spark plug. How do I reset the service light after the oil change on these car? My next step is to take the EGR valve and clean it. Hopefully this will improve more MPG, I wonder when people bought this car new what was their MPG display.

silverd2 05-19-2011 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by khmeraudi (Post 24146255)
I was getting 19.6mpg until I changed the spark plug. How do I reset the service light after the oil change on these car? My next step is to take the EGR valve and clean it. Hopefully this will improve more MPG, I wonder when people bought this car new what was their MPG display.

Are you actually reading the posts below? ...19.6 is GOOD for combined. Combined is really NO indication of actual gas mileage..no 2 combined readings are the same...everyone drives different combos of hwy and city.
There is ONE way to check mileage accurately and it is NOT the readout in the car (VERY inaccurate):
Fill the tank, reset trip odo, drive to and from (only way to insure equal up and down hill...level average) a far destination, refill tank, divide miles traveled by gallons to refill.
There is NO other way to get a true reading...too many variables!

Service reminder reset:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...rvice+reminder

rellascout 05-19-2011 08:05 AM

1998 A8 and I get about 17-18 MPG city/highway... with more miles towards city.

On the last longer trip I got about 23-24 MPG with driving 70 to 80+ MPG.

killerwatts 05-23-2011 05:24 AM

mileage

Originally Posted by hA8torade (Post 24146000)
I'm getting 16.6 mpg right now, but it's predominantly city/congested highway driving (sucks). Silverd2 is right, you're getting pretty decent mileage, but you can do a few things like: 1.) make sure your tires are properly inflated, checking while cold 2.) change your spark plugs 3.)change out your air filter 4.) remove everything from trunk including your spare tire (not reccomended).

I live in chicagoland area and our traffic is pretty bad but I average around 20-22 combined. I just drove to Maryland and I actually was getting 31 MPG as shown on display at one point. I do not doubt the accuracy of the display as it changes to match the conditions you are driving at such as high speed (MPG go down), Normal speed (MPG is best), Hills (MPG decrease) etc. I took a picture of my display showing me doing 70 MPH and the MPG display showing 31.0. at that point I had been driving steady and constant 65-70 based on traffic for awhile. I let my gas gauge reach the point whereby the display showed that I could go 5 more miles til empty. Based upon the amount of gas I put in at the fill-up I would say it was scary accurate. Now I do have high confidence that the numbers the display shows are quite accurate. As for the original poster's mileage dilemma he is getting decent mileage (and that is based on the conditions he may be encountering on a daily basis). But in all the suggestions such as spark plugs, air filter, oil (does make a difference) etc no one mentioned oxygen sensors. I have not replaced them in this A8L but have in my original A8 I replaced them as he result of a check engine light diagnosis which revealed a bad O2 sensor. He never stated if he had a check engine light on. I will post my display picture when I complete the return portion of my trip just in case I get something better. Also since I'm in the area I'm gonna drop by southern Electronics and see if they may be able to fix LED issue in cluster (that is only if they don't need a few days)

silverd2 05-25-2011 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by killerwatts (Post 24147757)
I live in chicagoland area and our traffic is pretty bad but I average around 20-22 combined. I just drove to Maryland and I actually was getting 31 MPG as shown on display at one point. I do not doubt the accuracy of the display as it changes to match the conditions you are driving at such as high speed (MPG go down), Normal speed (MPG is best), Hills (MPG decrease) etc. I took a picture of my display showing me doing 70 MPH and the MPG display showing 31.0. at that point I had been driving steady and constant 65-70 based on traffic for awhile. I let my gas gauge reach the point whereby the display showed that I could go 5 more miles til empty. Based upon the amount of gas I put in at the fill-up I would say it was scary accurate. Now I do have high confidence that the numbers the display shows are quite accurate. As for the original poster's mileage dilemma he is getting decent mileage (and that is based on the conditions he may be encountering on a daily basis). But in all the suggestions such as spark plugs, air filter, oil (does make a difference) etc no one mentioned oxygen sensors. I have not replaced them in this A8L but have in my original A8 I replaced them as he result of a check engine light diagnosis which revealed a bad O2 sensor. He never stated if he had a check engine light on. I will post my display picture when I complete the return portion of my trip just in case I get something better. Also since I'm in the area I'm gonna drop by southern Electronics and see if they may be able to fix LED issue in cluster (that is only if they don't need a few days)

You REALLY should doubt the display...it is an illusion. Current mpg is meaningless...you can back off the gas and maintain speed for a ways and display will tell you 60-90mpg. Even for average mpg, the displays on these cars are almost NEVER correct.
Physics prevents these cars from getting 31mpg level highway average...impossible.
True mpg, as I've stated (as laws of physics state) can be determined accurately only ONE way:
Fill tank, reset odo, drive to and from a location (all highway), refill, do the math. Remember, acceleration to speed from the gas station is given back as you slow down to the next refill. This way gives you a true average highway mileage...the ONLY true mpg reading...a current display reading while driving means NOTHING, except is a good way to keep you're foot out of it when not needed.

At 31mpg, you could drive from interstate gas station to the next fill up 683 miles on 22 gallons (not bone dry)...right...dream on.

If ANYONE can INDEPENDENTLY document over 26mpg on a stock D2 in true LEVEL driving (coasting down a 31 mile hill doesn't count), not only does Audi and the EPA want to hear from you, I will drink the rest of your tank of gas and wash it down with your steering fluid :)

YuenglingMike! 05-25-2011 12:24 PM

14.3mpg
recoded transmission isn't going to help the cause :D

A8_novice 05-25-2011 02:34 PM

Converted cars that run on E85 loose around 25% mpg (compression too low to take advantage)
its not just a compression issue, Ethanol contains about 10% less energy per unit volume than gasoline does. so even if the engine were perfectly adapted, MPG would be 10% less.

silverd2 05-25-2011 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by A8_novice (Post 24148929)
Converted cars that run on E85 loose around 25% mpg (compression too low to take advantage)
its not just a compression issue, Ethanol contains about 10% less energy per unit volume than gasoline does. so even if the engine were perfectly adapted, MPG would be 10% less.

True, but I was referring to highly modified race engines running 15 to 1 and higher compression ratios, requiring alcohol fuel...NOT efficiently, though...just high powered due to high compression.
Alcohol has the advantage of being very resistant to pre-detonation and added cooling qualities...both conducive to burning correctly in ultra-high compression engines.

audijim113 05-26-2011 07:28 AM

No one is going to believe my MPG

I have a 98 A8 and a 2000 A8L both with the 4.2

I live in a small touristy town in Michigan. The "city" driving consists mostly of 4 lane commercial type roads around malls, etc with traffic lights and some heavier traffic early morning and around 5:PM when factories let out. Residential areas surround the city out about 5-10 miles away. Some residential areas are closer in than my house with is 10 miles and connected via 2 lane with occasional traffic lights and frequent stop signs going into housing areas. An interstate connects thes town to a larger city which is about 25 miles away.

I drive the A8L about 15,000 miles/ yr, mostly local running around to stores, errands and stuff. This is about 60% of my driving . The other 40% which is once or twice a week, is on the interstate to the larger city. In MI the highway speed is 70 MPH. Once or twice a year, we go to another state to visit or take a vacation.

My wife normally drives the 99 and does about 8,000 miles per year and never goes on the interstate.

Trip computers are fairly accurate on both cars and checked against gallons, miles once a month or so. The results: (remember this is average)

99 A8 = 20 MPG
2000 A8L = 23 MPG

On an all highway trip in either car (me driving), I can squeeze close to 30 MPG. On either local roads or the highway, I do not drive slow. Trip average speeds are 60MPH or more which includes eating and pee stops.

Around town, I drive similarly, if the limit is 45, I'm probably doing 50, but starting from a light or stop signs other cars will zoom ahead of me. (I generally catch up to them or pass.) Yes, I pay attention to the lights ahead. Occasionally, I am able to run errands going through 10-15 intersections which have lights and never completely stop. (No, I don't go through them on red, I coast and slow as I approach them). The same goes for other cars making turns etc. If I am following at 8-10 car lengths, it allows me to anticipate what other drivers will do, often able to pass a turning car safely without slowing down.

I've driven like this for years on all my Audis and consistently average MPG results exceeding EPA estimates for highways, yet drive less that 1/2 on highways.

I am what the young guys would call a "slow starter". How fast you accelerate from a light, stop etc doesn't mean squat if you don't get to the destination any sooner than me. I prefer to think of myself as an "I'll get there at the same time you do". And do it without wearing out brakes or making OPEC any richer than I have to."

killerwatts 05-27-2011 04:32 PM

Gas Mileage

1 Attachment(s)
I would love to take you up on your gas drinking offer with the chaser!!!!!!! It sounds like you are looking at the instaneous miles per gallon display (there are 2 MPG displays). If you are seeing 60-90 MPG than I would say wholeheartedly doubt what you are seeing if you are looking at the correct display. Based on the distance I traveled I have no doubt that my MPG display is pretty accurate. I did not say I got 31 mpg the entire trip just for a timeframe (after fill up and for a good distance and yes it varied but I was able to get to 31 and it held at 70 MPH constant until conditions changed or I speed up again. I also stated it varies with conditions ranging from running AC to high speed, hills, stop and go,type of gas (I was using shell V-power case you are wondering) general maintenance etc. The display on my vehicle is pretty darn accurate and I have gotten well over 550 miles out of a tank of gas on highway driving while seriously fracturing the speed laws (got up to 120 while following a corvette)and even with the high speed chase which was still on my first tank leaving chicago and the varying speeds from corvette run to basically 70-75 miles MPH I did not do my first fill-up until about 45 miles from Maryland border on PA side at which my miles you can go on gas display showed me 5 miles left with current tank of gas (That's the point I found out how accurate the displays are). Based upon what I put in tank I don't doubt my car. Mine is doing what it's capable of doing or exceeding accordingly. In either case it is what it is and I was not looking at insant mpg which is all over the place from one second to the next. All I can say is I trust my car and what it's telling me!!!!!!! I took this pic during that timeframe, instaneous MPG would not sit still long enough for you to get a pic like this while driving at same time. Nuff said.

silverd2 05-27-2011 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by killerwatts (Post 24149798)
I would love to take you up on your gas drinking offer with the chaser!!!!!!! It sounds like you are looking at the instaneous miles per gallon display (there are 2 MPG displays). If you are seeing 60-90 MPG than I would say wholeheartedly doubt what you are seeing if you are looking at the correct display. Based on the distance I traveled I have no doubt that my MPG display is pretty accurate. I did not say I got 31 mpg the entire trip just for a time frame (after fill up and for a good distance and yes it varied but I was able to get to 31 and it held at 70 MPH constant until conditions changed or I speed up again. I also stated it varies with conditions ranging from running AC to high speed, hills, stop and go,type of gas (I was using shell V-power case you are wondering) general maintenance etc. The display on my vehicle is pretty darn accurate and I have gotten well over 550 miles out of a tank of gas on highway driving while seriously fracturing the speed laws (got up to 120 while following a corvette)and even with the high speed chase which was still on my first tank leaving chicago and the varying speeds from corvette run to basically 70-75 miles MPH I did not do my first fill-up until about 45 miles from Maryland border on PA side at which my miles you can go on gas display showed me 5 miles left with current tank of gas (That's the point I found out how accurate the displays are). Based upon what I put in tank I don't doubt my car. Mine is doing what it's capable of doing or exceeding accordingly. In either case it is what it is and I was not looking at insant mpg which is all over the place from one second to the next. All I can say is I trust my car and what it's telling me!!!!!!! I took this pic during that timeframe, instaneous MPG would not sit still long enough for you to get a pic like this while driving at same time. Nuff said.

NO, NOT "nuff said"...you have proven nothing and not even indicated ANY fact or evidence.

AS I STATED, I am NOT talking about instantaneous readout or AVERAGE...I am talking about reality!

I am truly trying to give you the benefit of the doubt with regard to your understanding my point...AND the definition of true mpg.

First, 550 miles + on a tank is 24-25 mpg without totally draining it (do the math), exactly as expected. I REPEAT: 680 MILES + would be 31mpg!!!!!
I've gotten up to 25.4 while driving 80-105mph on a vacation, checked the correct way...but admittedly lost a little elevation on the drive and lost a little mpg on the way back, as expected.

Your readout does NOT measure gas passing into the engine...doesn't work that way...it is a general guess determined by vacuum, throttle position, current speed etc...AGAIN, it does NOT measure gas coming through the lines. If you trust it, you are deluding yourself.

A photo of average mpg readout means NOTHING...it can be reset at anytime while moving, doesn't indicate level driving...a parlor trick at best. I have logged an average reading of 90mpg (SERIOUSLY) by resetting at the top of the mountains before a 15 mile coasting descent, just as a joke for friends.

I'll repeat ONE MORE TIME: Level driving to and from a location, NO READOUT, just gas amount-distance-calculator tells the story.
INDEPENDENT confirmation of a 31 mpg claim is IMPOSSIBLE...will not happen....NOW: NUFF SAID!!! ....YOU LOSE. PHYSICS and THE TRUTH WIN!!! ....dream away, I DO NOT BELIEVE IT!!! I will not call you a liar, but I will call you MISTAKEN...you really DON'T seem to understand and there's apparently NOTHING I can do about that.

By the way, I have a car that runs on nothing but water, will go 300mph and I use it to get around on my 1/4 million acre unicorn ranch. This is true because I say it is. Do you doubt me? :)

amvauto 05-27-2011 08:29 PM

My 2001 A8L is getting about 19.5 avg, HWY with no wind i can get about 28mpg!! going about 70mph..

City I say about 17, I drive mostly HWY to work and some city..but real happy, especially when compared to my Navigator!!! lol

SCL 05-27-2011 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by silverd2 (Post 24145601)
The only thing you can do to improve your mileage is get a smaller car...or coast everywhere you go :)

19.5mpg combined city/highway means everything is in good shape. 100% highway, you'll get about 24mpg max.
It's a 4156 lb car with a 310hp V8 and fat tires...physics is physics...forget about gas mileage, enjoy the ride and the power.

This is an infinitely better, safer and more sophisticated car than a Q45...a whole different animal...be happy for the improvement.

Is the A8 really 4156 lbs? I thought it was lighter than that with the aluminum chassis?
I agree...19.5 is pretty good. I was getting 16.5 combined highway/local, and some rush hour traffic. Then I got nabbed going 89 MPG...and have since slowed down. Now I get 18.5. Who would have thought? ;-)
I too have seen 24-25 mpg when driving long distances on the highway. I also have older S6 w/2.2 turbo, and the best it gets at 70 MPH on a trip is 21 mpg. If driving in and out of the city all week, with lots of lights and stop signs, both cars get about 11 mpg. As you mentioned...physics.

silverd2 05-28-2011 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by SCL (Post 24149872)
Is the A8 really 4156 lbs? I thought it was lighter than that with the aluminum chassis?

Although aluminum, more metal and thicker sections for exceptional strength...still lighter and stronger than equivalent sized MB & BMW of the same years.

Check out specs, including curb weights:
https://www.audiworld.com/model/a8/content.shtml

silverd2 05-28-2011 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by amvauto (Post 24149854)
...HWY with no wind i can get about 28mpg!! going about 70mph..

^^^ Temporary readout and maybe true for that momentum aided, half-coasting stretch....but station to station,start to stop, location to location and back, not gonna get 28mpg. That would be well over 600 miles on a tank, without being totally empty.

killerwatts 05-28-2011 08:21 PM

Gas mileage

Call me Chris Angel, David Copperfield or Houdini. As I said it is what it is with whatever phenomenom that allowed it to happen (physics, magic or just an overzealous car trying to imitate a economy car). DELUSIONAL NOT AT ALL! You seem unhappy with the mileage physics let you obtain. Time to start practicing magic my man or get a new horse.

silverd2 05-29-2011 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by killerwatts (Post 24150143)
Call me Chris Angel, David Copperfield or Houdini. As I said it is what it is with whatever phenomenom that allowed it to happen (physics, magic or just an overzealous car trying to imitate a economy car). DELUSIONAL NOT AT ALL! You seem unhappy with the mileage physics let you obtain. Time to start practicing magic my man or get a new horse.

Actually I wasn't thinking of any of those names...not even close. I'll leave that space blank for your imagination, ____________.

If you read "unhappiness" into ANY of my statements of fact, I can only say that you need to read ALL the words (those little groups of black squiggly marks on a white background).
I am very happy with my car...mpg was NOT a priority or even a consideration in my choice of vehicles. BUT the fact that it burns gas within engineering specs, indicates a car in good health. If I found it (in reality, NOT a "happy" and incorrect readout) getting a true highway average of 28-31mpg, I'd park it and look for the failure causing it burn so dangerously lean that it's on the verge of seizing the engine.

Momentum aided, light-footed temporary reading is one thing (90mpg down a hill), but if you're implying that averaging 28-31mpg on a tank of level driving is possible...."delusional" is the perfect word.
Once again I say, "Prove it"...independent documentation of 615-680 miles level driving (to and from same location) on 22 gallons of pump gas.
My statements have already been proven by science, millions of $$ in research and countless miles of engineering figures/results.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go sprinkle fairy dust on my herd of unicorns...it protects them against evil flying monkeys. ...Really! ...it's true just because I say it is.

amvauto 05-29-2011 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by silverd2 (Post 24149918)
^^^ Temporary readout and maybe true for that momentum aided, half-coasting stretch....but station to station,start to stop, location to location and back, not gonna get 28mpg. That would be well over 600 miles on a tank, without being totally empty.

Seriously, tho I had two days of no wind, so I tested it to make sure, and without stopping with cruise for 5 miles straight i got 28-29 mpg...stuck at exactly 70mph.

silverd2 05-29-2011 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by amvauto (Post 24150291)
Seriously, tho I had two days of no wind, so I tested it to make sure, and without stopping with cruise for 5 miles straight i got 28-29 mpg...stuck at exactly 70mph.

Once again...temporary readout...NOT what I'm talking about...and NOT true hwy mpgs by EPA or manufacturer's definition.
In real life, ALL that matters is how much it takes to fill the tank and how many miles you traveled on that gas...THAT and that alone is the car's true mpg rating.
Even if the readout is correct for a few miles, it has NOTHING whatever to do with overall hwy mpg...to and from a location...level driving...start to stop, 24-25 is the best you'll get with a D2.
IGNORE the readout, fill the tank, reset the odo, take a trip, refill it, get a calculator...you will NOT get 28-29mpg.

amvauto 05-29-2011 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by silverd2 (Post 24150324)
Once again...temporary readout...NOT what I'm talking about...and NOT true hwy mpgs by EPA or manufacturer's definition.
In real life, ALL that matters is how much it takes to fill the tank and how many miles you traveled on that gas...THAT and that alone is the car's true mpg rating.
Even if the readout is correct for a few miles, it has NOTHING whatever to do with overall hwy mpg...to and from a location...level driving...start to stop, 24-25 is the best you'll get with a D2.
IGNORE the readout, fill the tank, reset the odo, take a trip, refill it, get a calculator...you will NOT get 28-29mpg.

Oh no I totally agree, what Im saying that for a 4500lbs car, 3 inches shorter than my Navigator while driving on the highway for 15 min total, the reading is 28mpg, now again i am averaging 19.4 with city and hwy total.
Im just addressing the original question on what MPG I am getting, now it didnt specify, city, hwy, avg city/hwy etc..so I was stating what was the best mileage, i was getting, now the lowest I can get is 7mpg while Im passing soomeone or accelerating from a stand still 0 - 70 mph....but this topic has been killed to death and yet there is all these guys arguing with what they are getting..Really does it matter..its a f()kn V8...4.2L monster...love it over 300 horses, so that last thing when u buy one of these is a question..ummm is this good on gas??? lol
Love my D2!

silverd2 05-30-2011 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by amvauto (Post 24150414)
Oh no I totally agree, what Im saying that for a 4500lbs car, 3 inches shorter than my Navigator while driving on the highway for 15 min total, the reading is 28mpg, now again i am averaging 19.4 with city and hwy total.
Im just addressing the original question on what MPG I am getting, now it didnt specify, city, hwy, avg city/hwy etc..so I was stating what was the best mileage, i was getting, now the lowest I can get is 7mpg while Im passing soomeone or accelerating from a stand still 0 - 70 mph....but this topic has been killed to death and yet there is all these guys arguing with what they are getting..Really does it matter..its a f()kn V8...4.2L monster...love it over 300 horses, so that last thing when u buy one of these is a question..ummm is this good on gas??? lol
Love my D2!

^^^ Agreed...Thumbs up :) ^^^

killerwatts 06-02-2011 09:47 AM

No one is saying they are averaging 31 mpg the duration of a tank of gas in there car and you self contradick yourself as you state temporary and that is all everyone has said not entire tank. Stop snorting the unicorn dust or fairy dust you have over there and read. A mind is a terrible thing to waste. If you think a proper functioning computer cannot provide accurare info then you have not spent much time using them as they control and predict all sorts of things on a daily basis such as hours worked during the week and spits out a paycheck. It does the same thing using consumption, tire size, remainng fuel etc.

Originally Posted by amvauto (Post 24150414)
Love my D2!

spitanddirt 06-02-2011 10:37 AM

I have 154,000 miles currently on my STD wheelbase 2000 A8. I drive 135 miles a day, twice a week. My 67 mile (one-way) journey to work is a near 50/50 mix of hills and flat pavement. The best mileage that my "dream-o-meter" has recorded has been 25.4 MPG. In REALITY, it always tends to be about 2 to 2.5 MPG high.

In reality when I fill up, I find out that I actually have averaged around 22-23 MPG as long as I keep my foot out of it.

If I feel like being a bit more agressive that week, I usually average around 20-21 MPG. Still, it really isn't that bad on gas for the size and weight class of the car. I agree with whoever said 31MPG is impossible. If someone is getting 31 MPG HWY, it must be a downhill trip both ways....

silverd2 06-02-2011 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by killerwatts (Post 24151859)
No one is saying they are averaging 31 mpg the duration of a tank of gas in there car and you self contradick yourself as you state temporary and that is all everyone has said not entire tank. Stop snorting the unicorn dust or fairy dust you have over there and read. A mind is a terrible thing to waste. If you think a proper functioning computer cannot provide accurare info then you have not spent much time using them as they control and predict all sorts of things on a daily basis such as hours worked during the week and spits out a paycheck. It does the same thing using consumption, tire size, remainng fuel etc.

Hope you didn't spend a lot of time composing "that", as your time for an attempted clever comeback has timed out...sorry. By the way, what language is that? I could only do a rough translation....speaking of computers making your decisions for you, you may want to consider a word processing program.

Remember those "black squiggly marks" I told you about? Go back and have someone read them to you and explain who did the "contradicking" or -ducking or whatever.

Now if your dodging the real issue and just want a unicorn ride, just say it...then put on your favorite princess dress, click your heals together and it will come true...I promise :)

igotav8 06-02-2011 05:10 PM

Wow, this reminds me of the 928 forum on Re__ List. Lots of useless bickering and non-constructive criticism. I get 19.3 with mostly in town driving and 24.6 on the highway. Done the old fashioned way with a paper and pencil. If I reset the mpg avg. screen at the same time it reads within 2/10ths of a mpg. To what my paper and pencil says. Always.

silverd2 06-02-2011 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by igotav8 (Post 24152012)
Wow, this reminds me of the 928 forum on Re__ List. Lots of useless bickering and non-constructive criticism.

I truly respect your opinion (just not that other guy :) ), but I find it entertaining and therapeutic....sorry.
Unexpressed opinions cause peptic ulcers, heart disease and cancer...ask any health professional ;)

Pchelka01 06-25-2011 09:10 AM

A Few months back i went to Harrisonburg Va From western MA all on one full tank of gas. thats 514 Miles!! I set the Cruise control at 71 and every long up hill turned off the Cruise, so it wouldn't down shift but slow down instead. I can't remember how much gallons the a8 has but i counted if i had 20 gallons of gas it would be 25.7 MPG!! And when i got there i was shocked on the way back i got stuck in traffic for about an hour so i had to fill up 30 miles from my house!! still like it was mentioned here its not what you drive its how you drive.

silverd2 06-25-2011 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Pchelka01 (Post 24161524)
A Few months back i went to Harrisonburg Va From western MA all on one full tank of gas. thats 514 Miles!! ....I can't remember how much gallons the a8 has but i counted if i had 20 gallons of gas it would be 25.7 MPG!!

You have a 23.7 gallon tank....if you used only 21.5 gallons of that (typical of completely empty reading on the gauge)in 514 miles, that would be 23.9 mpg...almost exactly what Audi claims for highway mileage.
The ONLY way to know for sure is to have recorded how much it took to refill it divided into the miles driven...not an estimate of tank size.

tozoM8 06-25-2011 12:25 PM

:)
http://audipages.com/tozo/130mpg.jpg

silverd2 06-25-2011 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by tozoM8 (Post 24161581)

Woah...one of those S8 hybrids that runs on BS...I've heard of those :)

Pchelka01 06-25-2011 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by silverd2 (Post 24161557)
You have a 23.7 gallon tank.

oh... man come on and i thought mine was special.. now you killed it for me...;) jk

thanks for the info, i didn't actually think it would be that much and i was too lazy to look in my book

mattsimis 06-26-2011 02:33 PM

About 16mpg when running on LPG (propane in American) and 21MPG on "Gas" on a 1998 Audi S8 with exclusively high speed back road driving.
Both figures in US gallons. LPG is similar to E85, very high octane, smoother burning, lower calorific value and somewhat drier than gasoline. Unlike E85 however LPG burns hotter than gasoline (ie e85 is better).

Despite some claims to contrary, I would say that in my experiments with various cars (I converted them myself) and research online (look up Prius E85 test), E85 (and to a lesser degree LPG) both deliver better low end response and a noticeable torque increases on reasonably stock motors (assuming they can feed the enlarged fueling requirement). Sure economy takes a beating but thats missing the point of ethanol.

The issue with Ethanol blended fuel in the US is its blended with a low octane base stock. This is a US distribution problem. In Europe E5 (5% ethanol) is 99octane (or close to it) and E85 is 104octane (both RON). Ethanol is categorically not "highly corrosive", chemically is considerably less corrosive than gasoline. This myth is rooted in very old non-alcohol safe rubber (not an issue any more) and also the fact ethanol is hydroscopic, when improperly stored it attracts water which can introduce rust. This lead to strange things like old metal fuel tanks "corroding" through after ethanol was introduced. The corrosion in this case is primarily rust and I havent seen a metal fuel tanked car in decades.

PS: Both figures are manually calculated, not using the OBD (which is miles off). This car is also Remapped but I have no details on the mapping.

Nine30 07-02-2011 02:35 PM

When I recently drove from Seattle to San Francisco I got 24.3mpg Seattle to Medford, OR and 26.2 Medford to San Francisco. That's based on mileage and gas in the tank on fill-up, not the "mpg display." FYI the MPG display said 27.2. My average speed on the display was 72mph for the trip.

PDXA4 07-04-2011 12:27 PM

It will greatly depend on your commute conditions. When on the freeway and moving it's optimal once you are not too aggressive on the right pedal...

The "S" is geared differently.
An example of my last 6 months, and some real data...I have terrible commuting conditions with stop and go traffic etc...Best I have seen with easy freeway driving is 22mpg over my entire ownership...

http://pdxa4.smugmug.com/photos/i-54.../i-54b5Rr6.jpg