AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/)
-   -   What is your GAS MPG? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/what-your-gas-mpg-2806064/)

silverd2 05-28-2011 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by amvauto (Post 24149854)
...HWY with no wind i can get about 28mpg!! going about 70mph..

^^^ Temporary readout and maybe true for that momentum aided, half-coasting stretch....but station to station,start to stop, location to location and back, not gonna get 28mpg. That would be well over 600 miles on a tank, without being totally empty.

killerwatts 05-28-2011 08:21 PM

Gas mileage

Call me Chris Angel, David Copperfield or Houdini. As I said it is what it is with whatever phenomenom that allowed it to happen (physics, magic or just an overzealous car trying to imitate a economy car). DELUSIONAL NOT AT ALL! You seem unhappy with the mileage physics let you obtain. Time to start practicing magic my man or get a new horse.

silverd2 05-29-2011 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by killerwatts (Post 24150143)
Call me Chris Angel, David Copperfield or Houdini. As I said it is what it is with whatever phenomenom that allowed it to happen (physics, magic or just an overzealous car trying to imitate a economy car). DELUSIONAL NOT AT ALL! You seem unhappy with the mileage physics let you obtain. Time to start practicing magic my man or get a new horse.

Actually I wasn't thinking of any of those names...not even close. I'll leave that space blank for your imagination, ____________.

If you read "unhappiness" into ANY of my statements of fact, I can only say that you need to read ALL the words (those little groups of black squiggly marks on a white background).
I am very happy with my car...mpg was NOT a priority or even a consideration in my choice of vehicles. BUT the fact that it burns gas within engineering specs, indicates a car in good health. If I found it (in reality, NOT a "happy" and incorrect readout) getting a true highway average of 28-31mpg, I'd park it and look for the failure causing it burn so dangerously lean that it's on the verge of seizing the engine.

Momentum aided, light-footed temporary reading is one thing (90mpg down a hill), but if you're implying that averaging 28-31mpg on a tank of level driving is possible...."delusional" is the perfect word.
Once again I say, "Prove it"...independent documentation of 615-680 miles level driving (to and from same location) on 22 gallons of pump gas.
My statements have already been proven by science, millions of $$ in research and countless miles of engineering figures/results.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go sprinkle fairy dust on my herd of unicorns...it protects them against evil flying monkeys. ...Really! ...it's true just because I say it is.

amvauto 05-29-2011 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by silverd2 (Post 24149918)
^^^ Temporary readout and maybe true for that momentum aided, half-coasting stretch....but station to station,start to stop, location to location and back, not gonna get 28mpg. That would be well over 600 miles on a tank, without being totally empty.

Seriously, tho I had two days of no wind, so I tested it to make sure, and without stopping with cruise for 5 miles straight i got 28-29 mpg...stuck at exactly 70mph.

silverd2 05-29-2011 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by amvauto (Post 24150291)
Seriously, tho I had two days of no wind, so I tested it to make sure, and without stopping with cruise for 5 miles straight i got 28-29 mpg...stuck at exactly 70mph.

Once again...temporary readout...NOT what I'm talking about...and NOT true hwy mpgs by EPA or manufacturer's definition.
In real life, ALL that matters is how much it takes to fill the tank and how many miles you traveled on that gas...THAT and that alone is the car's true mpg rating.
Even if the readout is correct for a few miles, it has NOTHING whatever to do with overall hwy mpg...to and from a location...level driving...start to stop, 24-25 is the best you'll get with a D2.
IGNORE the readout, fill the tank, reset the odo, take a trip, refill it, get a calculator...you will NOT get 28-29mpg.

amvauto 05-29-2011 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by silverd2 (Post 24150324)
Once again...temporary readout...NOT what I'm talking about...and NOT true hwy mpgs by EPA or manufacturer's definition.
In real life, ALL that matters is how much it takes to fill the tank and how many miles you traveled on that gas...THAT and that alone is the car's true mpg rating.
Even if the readout is correct for a few miles, it has NOTHING whatever to do with overall hwy mpg...to and from a location...level driving...start to stop, 24-25 is the best you'll get with a D2.
IGNORE the readout, fill the tank, reset the odo, take a trip, refill it, get a calculator...you will NOT get 28-29mpg.

Oh no I totally agree, what Im saying that for a 4500lbs car, 3 inches shorter than my Navigator while driving on the highway for 15 min total, the reading is 28mpg, now again i am averaging 19.4 with city and hwy total.
Im just addressing the original question on what MPG I am getting, now it didnt specify, city, hwy, avg city/hwy etc..so I was stating what was the best mileage, i was getting, now the lowest I can get is 7mpg while Im passing soomeone or accelerating from a stand still 0 - 70 mph....but this topic has been killed to death and yet there is all these guys arguing with what they are getting..Really does it matter..its a f()kn V8...4.2L monster...love it over 300 horses, so that last thing when u buy one of these is a question..ummm is this good on gas??? lol
Love my D2!

silverd2 05-30-2011 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by amvauto (Post 24150414)
Oh no I totally agree, what Im saying that for a 4500lbs car, 3 inches shorter than my Navigator while driving on the highway for 15 min total, the reading is 28mpg, now again i am averaging 19.4 with city and hwy total.
Im just addressing the original question on what MPG I am getting, now it didnt specify, city, hwy, avg city/hwy etc..so I was stating what was the best mileage, i was getting, now the lowest I can get is 7mpg while Im passing soomeone or accelerating from a stand still 0 - 70 mph....but this topic has been killed to death and yet there is all these guys arguing with what they are getting..Really does it matter..its a f()kn V8...4.2L monster...love it over 300 horses, so that last thing when u buy one of these is a question..ummm is this good on gas??? lol
Love my D2!

^^^ Agreed...Thumbs up :) ^^^

killerwatts 06-02-2011 09:47 AM

No one is saying they are averaging 31 mpg the duration of a tank of gas in there car and you self contradick yourself as you state temporary and that is all everyone has said not entire tank. Stop snorting the unicorn dust or fairy dust you have over there and read. A mind is a terrible thing to waste. If you think a proper functioning computer cannot provide accurare info then you have not spent much time using them as they control and predict all sorts of things on a daily basis such as hours worked during the week and spits out a paycheck. It does the same thing using consumption, tire size, remainng fuel etc.

Originally Posted by amvauto (Post 24150414)
Love my D2!

spitanddirt 06-02-2011 10:37 AM

I have 154,000 miles currently on my STD wheelbase 2000 A8. I drive 135 miles a day, twice a week. My 67 mile (one-way) journey to work is a near 50/50 mix of hills and flat pavement. The best mileage that my "dream-o-meter" has recorded has been 25.4 MPG. In REALITY, it always tends to be about 2 to 2.5 MPG high.

In reality when I fill up, I find out that I actually have averaged around 22-23 MPG as long as I keep my foot out of it.

If I feel like being a bit more agressive that week, I usually average around 20-21 MPG. Still, it really isn't that bad on gas for the size and weight class of the car. I agree with whoever said 31MPG is impossible. If someone is getting 31 MPG HWY, it must be a downhill trip both ways....

silverd2 06-02-2011 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by killerwatts (Post 24151859)
No one is saying they are averaging 31 mpg the duration of a tank of gas in there car and you self contradick yourself as you state temporary and that is all everyone has said not entire tank. Stop snorting the unicorn dust or fairy dust you have over there and read. A mind is a terrible thing to waste. If you think a proper functioning computer cannot provide accurare info then you have not spent much time using them as they control and predict all sorts of things on a daily basis such as hours worked during the week and spits out a paycheck. It does the same thing using consumption, tire size, remainng fuel etc.

Hope you didn't spend a lot of time composing "that", as your time for an attempted clever comeback has timed out...sorry. By the way, what language is that? I could only do a rough translation....speaking of computers making your decisions for you, you may want to consider a word processing program.

Remember those "black squiggly marks" I told you about? Go back and have someone read them to you and explain who did the "contradicking" or -ducking or whatever.

Now if your dodging the real issue and just want a unicorn ride, just say it...then put on your favorite princess dress, click your heals together and it will come true...I promise :)