A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is your GAS MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE:

Originally Posted by PDXA4
It will greatly depend on your commute conditions. When on the freeway and moving it's optimal once you are not too aggressive on the right pedal...

The "S" is geared differently.
An example of my last 6 months, and some real data...I have terrible commuting conditions with stop and go traffic etc...Best I have seen with easy freeway driving is 22mpg over my entire ownership...

i took a trip to CA from MN couple years ago and i got about 650 miles per tank, that's 23.8 gallons tank, which would make about 27.3mpg.
i drive to work with it every day and its stop and go highway back and forth and always go all the way down on the gas and fill it all the way up and i get about 420 miles per tank this way.
i must have a good A8 then )))
Old 07-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi.

I recently bought my 2000 S8 with a 120k miles on it.

As we really dont have that much highways in Norway its mostly driven (weekdays) between 35-45 mph, The mpg i get then is
+- 15. I took it for a longer run last weekend (400 km) and i then got +- 21mpg.

I'm pretty happy with that but i am gonna order up some new o2 sencors and sparkplugs just in case

The only issue here is that 98 Octane cost $2.50 per litre.. Around $10 pr gallon
Old 07-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I get on average 18.5 / 19 mpg on city/ hwy and actually got a bit better than 25mpg on hwy recently. It's a 1999 and only has 51K miles, but I think it gets great mileage for a car this size.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just had to chime in on this MPG post. Current daily driver 2000 A8L with 174,100 as of this morning. I run 92 octane premium Shell fuel, drive 22.5 miles combined hwy and backroads 1 way to work. I averaged 21.8 over the last 8 tanks of fuel, checked by gallons used and miles driven, not the display. My display usually is within 10% accuracy. On trips from the Seattle area to deep into Montana, I average 28.9 MPG there and back (with 2 over 100 MPH passes on cars). I owned this vehicle for many years and it has been pretty consistant on fuel mileage.

I am a factory trained Audi, Porsche and BMW technician. ASE Master Tech since the early 90's. I have raced Karts, Motorcycles and Cars in my younger years, I am 43 years old now. Driving style quick but strive to be very smooth. Learned along time ago, smooth is fast over the long run. Smooth on the throttle and carry speed through the corners.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have washed my hands of this entire thread (good riddance, huh?)...lots of accurate and realistic figures, BUT a few are just pure fantasy...and quite impossible. Most of us know exactly which ones.

By the way, I'll admit that I really don't run a unicorn ranch or ward off flying monkeys with fairy dust. BUT a few of these posts are even less believable.

Making fun of these fantasies is no longer fun (or appreciated, I would think).
Old 07-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I filled the Unicorn with magic dust Saturday morning at 4:30 am, left for Moses Lake WA. I-90 most of the way including going over a mountian pass. 2 adults, clothes for 2 days and a cooler of food for a family reunion. Trip was 464.1 miles indicated on Audi mileage counter, Magellan GPS 472.9 indicated mileage. A/C on Auto the entire trip. Speeds were pretty close to posted speed limit (Major Speed patrols. At one point counted 6 Washington State Troopers at 1 freeway on ramp outside of Thorp) returned home Sunday afternoon, ran into some stop and go traffic on North I-5 through Seattle (30 minutes of it before returning to freeway speeds). Refueled this morning (Monday) 6 am, same fuel station, shut off at first click 17.2 gallons. Unless my math is incorrect, that is just below 27 MPG. I would assume without the traffic and A/C constantly on I could squeak better MPG. Indicated Average MPG on display was 25.9 this morning. Just giving raw numbers and data on trip.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Two weeks ago I completed a 4200 mile round trip from Kansas City, Missouri all the way up to Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada in my 2000 A8. The A/C was on most of the trip. No matter how hard I tried, I could only muster about 24.3 MPG for most of the trip. The best average MPG I could get from one tank of fuel was driving from Denver, CO and through the plains of Kansas. I calculated 25.7 MPG when I filled up the tank in the middle of Kansas. Who knows, maybe if I had ultra-efficient tires instead of the Firestone Firehawk GT's I have mounted, I may even get higher MPG.

Maybe if I hadn't run the A/C I might have got an extra MPG. One more point I should add is that I filled up using 89 RON(mid-grade) for the entire trip. I've found that using 91(premium) actually causes my average MPG to drop by 1-2 MPG. Just my experiences....
Old 07-31-2011, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 A8L MPG

Just went to Atlantic City for a few days (255 miles round trip)in my 2004 A8L D3. I used the cruise control for the majority of the trip set to 80 mph and when not using cruise control was at very close to 80 as well. I filled the tank to the brim at the gas station just outside the Holland Tunnel when departing which is about ten minutes from my apartment in the city.

I refilled the tank when I returned at the same station near the tunnel yesterday to verify my mpg and returned with a 24.3 mpg average. During the trip I was as high as 25.4 mpg however as soon as I left the highway and had to encounter some stop and go traffic the mpg decreased a bit.

I am still quite pleased with 24.3 mpg for a car this size while cruising at 80 mph which provided an incredibly quiet and comfortable ride. If you do the math, the difference between 24.3 and 25.4 mpg for this distance is only 10.49 gallons vs 10.09 gallons or roughly a difference of 51 oz of fuel!
Old 07-31-2011, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 A8L MPG

Just went to Atlantic City for a few days (255 miles round trip)in my 2004 A8L D3. I used the cruise control for the majority of the trip set to 80 mph and when not using cruise control was at very close to 80 as well. I filled the tank to the brim at the gas station just outside the Holland Tunnel when departing which is about ten minutes from my apartment in the city.

I refilled the tank when I returned at the same station near the tunnel yesterday to verify my mpg and returned with a 24.3 mpg average. During the trip I was as high as 25.4 mpg however as soon as I left the highway and had to encounter some stop and go traffic the mpg decreased a bit.

I am still quite pleased with 24.3 mpg for a car this size while cruising at 80 mph which provided an incredibly quiet and comfortable ride. If you do the math, the difference between 24.3 and 25.4 mpg for this distance is only 10.49 gallons vs 10.09 gallons or roughly a difference of 51 oz of fuel!

I use 93 octane premium fuel regularly in this car.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Houston to Daytona & back

Finally went for a ride.

Fully serviced in the last 6.500 miles, tires @ 33 lbs cold (michelin premium tires), no AC, 430 lbs of passengers (2 of us), 150 lbs trunk weight, Amsoil and KZ33 fluids throughout. Shell 93 octane for the entire trip.

My speed was 68 mph average w/cruise control set only after hi-way speed was attained.

Very conservative drive & boring (as hell).

The only change made to the engine involved the intake valve timing set 1 degree advanced when I serviced the top end 7,500 miles ago.

Average results were 28.2 mpg for the 2000 mile trip. All miles were on Hwy 59, I-10,
I-12, I-95 and Hwy 44 into NSB, Fl.

All of this ride was on level terrain (no hills other than overpasses).

My last 24 Hrs. of Daytona BTW.

My combined mileage is 23/24 mpg when driving normally.

I am a professional driver BTW.

Quick Reply: What is your GAS MPG?