AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/)
-   -   Wheel bearings (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/wheel-bearings-2852585/)

audijim113 08-20-2013 11:26 AM

Wheel bearings

Other than the star socket do I need any special tools to replace the front and rear wheel bearing on a 2000 A8?

Is there a write up anywhere?

silverd2 08-20-2013 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by audijim113 (Post 24478741)
Other than the star socket do I need any special tools to replace the front and rear wheel bearing on a 2000 A8?

Is there a write up anywhere?

Haven't seen a write up except for Bentley procedure. Even with the bolted in type bearing I believe is on your model, they don't just unbolt until a lot of other work is done to access them...then after the bolt in bearing assembly is removed, the hub has to be machine pressed off then new one machined pressed back on.

I've never changed a wheel bearing in a D2, but just a quick glance at Bentley shows the front requires removal of the caliper & rotor (big bolts on back), then pinch bolt & upper ball joints popped out, axle bolt and outer CV pulled out, in order to swing the knuckle into position to access the 4 bolts for the bearing assembly.

The rear shows the entire bearing housing...even WAY more disassembly than the front, just to get to the removal bolts...then the press, etc..

Very involved, lotsa high torque bolts.

Not meaning to be a smartass, but you don't have Bentley, huh?

audijim113 08-22-2013 05:43 PM

follow up for Silver d-2

Bently? Actually, I'm too old and too fat to be considering any real big jobs. I changed a coilpak last week which I previously thought was a big job. It was simple.

As for the wheel bearings, I have also found a video and you're right, it's not exactly simple, especially for an old fart.

Last year, I had struts put on that I bought from Tire Rack. The shop that did them was ok with me providing parts. He is not an audi guy but in my estimation the best front end guy around. I know him and trust him. Has done brakes, alignment, suspension stuff for me for years, first at his own shop, then several others. Great front end guy, bad businessman. Bank foreclosed on his shop and house.

So, he'll do the bearings for me and I will buy parts. Keep in mind, there is 200K on the car. I'm not looking for the bestest, longest lasting and I am easy on the car.

Which to buy. Meyle (Sp?) or SKF at double the price?

I hope to have the bearing replaced early next week so buying local is preferable to waiting for shipping.

silverd2 08-22-2013 06:15 PM

The general consensus is that all things Meyle are cheap for a reason...really rep with control arms and some other parts...mostly made in Chinese factories, which can be bad or good...most believe that meyle are made by the "bad" Chinese producers.

SKF has a long term great rep, even though there seems to be info indicating that some of their parts are Chinese made, but reputedly by the "good" producers...stricter quality control over material and production.

So hard to say...I haven't had to replace a wheel bearing in anything for a very long time and it was either SKF or Timken (can't remember)...longterm success though.

The only Meyle part I've put in my car recently is a new coolant tank...WAY cheaper than OEM. But I figured who could screw up a simple plastic bottle?