A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where can I buy a repair manual PDF?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought an old laptop with XP for $30 so I could keep using my Bentley. Put my scan tool and other car software on it also. I don't hook it up to the internet.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Samilcar
I purchased the $70 pdf manual from factory-manuals.com (5673 total pages). It's supposedly tailored to your VIN. Seems to be comprehensive and complete, haven't found any area yet that's incomplete or missing
The Bentley has its problems with some of the directions. Is this pdf manual simply a copy of the Bentley?
Old 11-04-2018, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by johnnya
I am not sure if this works for US residents, too:
https://erwin.audi.com/erwin/showSearchArticle.do (Model-specific information - Information in PDF format)
https://erwin.audi.com/erwin/showCus...egistration.do
https://erwin.audi.com/erwin/showOrd...teAssistant.do
You can order an 1-hour flat-rate for 7 EUR + VAT there and download all the official Audi workshop manuals as PDF files. Including the circuit diagrams, it's over 50 PDF documents for the Audi A8 D2.
Is there an English version?
Old 11-04-2018, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hillpc
The Bentley has its problems with some of the directions. Is this pdf manual simply a copy of the Bentley?
Not sure (I've never seen the Bentley). It has "Edition 07.2012" and "Copyright © 2012 Audi AG, Ingolstadt", if that helps.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You can switch to English in the top right corner (Oberfläche/User Interface = English, Dokumente/Documents = English).
Old 11-06-2018, 06:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hillpc
I just bought the PDF manual from factory-manuals.com. It takes them a day or so to set up the download. The first few pages are based on the VIN, and replicate the paint and interior and PR codes from the sticker in my S8's spare tire well. Then there are several manuals, starting with "Maintenance Audi S8 2002 Edition 07.2012" which appear to be copies of relevant Audi documents for dealer service technicians. Unfortunately, there is no overall index, and the PDF is 5733 pages long.

There are a series of "Workshop Repair Manual Groups". The first one is:
List of Workshop Manual Repair Groups
Repair Group
00 - Technical data
10 - Removing and installing engine
13 - Crankshaft group
15 - Cylinder head, valve gear
17 - Lubrication
19 - Cooling
26 - Exhaust system

Copyright 2015 Audi AG, Ingolstadt A0050808420

and the last one is:
Body Self-Diagnosis
Repair Group
01 - Self-diagnosis

with several in between. Wish there was a full index. I can do a search in the PDF, but have to know what I'm looking for. The seller's terms note that the PDF is downloaded directly from Audi, and that the PDF is embedded with the VIN (and maybe other info) to discourage sharing across the internet.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Click on the "bookmark" symbol in the upper left-hand corner, and the index should appear.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine (on a Mac) does not show anything in Bookmarks. I can add them manually as I find things, if I want. I do have "Table of Contents" as an option, which I think gives what you meant. Thanks - that's a help. I can also do searches, once I figure out the term that's used in the PDF.

A few comments on the Factory-Manuals.com PDF. There was no D2 2003 manual available, even though my S8 is technically a 2003 model (but in Europe was discontinued after 2002). So supposedly this is the right manual for my car.

1. While the PDF has an enormous amount of information, there is a lot of detail that appears not to be there. Such as how to remove and reinstall the interior window seal at the bottom of the driver's door window opening.

2. I've found some stuff that doesn't match. For example, on the battery, the PDF talks about the battery being below the trunk floor on the right side, but mine's behind a panel with a latch. It also talks about vehicles with two batteries. And there is no information on battery sizes or different battery brackets, even though the Audi parts manual shows two different bracket systems, for 450A battery (PR-J1G) and for a 520A battery (PR-J0Z).

Both of these are things I'm having trouble with right now. I think I've mostly figured out the window seal, but all the battery size lookups specify a Group 49, which is too short for the brackets in my car. Would be nice if the repair manual explained something about this.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Captain Sweeney
So i just tried a website that looking back I probably shouldn't have. I just need quick access fo the repair manual and preferably a PDF download from a trustworthy site.
Check here, these are basic manuals that may help with some tasks. Hope they help.....

https://www.manualslib.com/download/...7/Audi-A8.html