A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where can you get this beside the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default IMT Changeovers 40V

Didn't realize how many people are successfully tackling this manifold pivot seizing problem....and I feel just a little stupider (yet more informed) after reading one line in the link below. As many times as I've had this partially disassembled, it didn't occur to me that the plastic (or whatever) pivots on the fronts of the manifold runners can be gently tapped right out of the alloy casings (outer races) when they are unbolted from the manifold (outer race casings pulled out a little...as far as they'll move anyway), to clean and lubricate the seizing culprits.....DUUUUH!! This is, of course, after disconnecting the ball joint rods and removing the 'plastic' actuating levers/springs.
...problem solved.

The writer in the link said he had to remove his throttle body to help fish the rear end of the intake rod/flaps into their pivot seats (?)...I've had mine apart 4 times so far and did NOT have this problem. I simply "felt" them back into place each time. It's obvious when you hit the target...the rod assembly slides right back into place. You, of course want to be careful to replace alloy casings back over plastic rod ends approximately the way they came off...pretty easy, though...the rod assembly only has a few degrees of travel possible and, without forcing them, the plastic actuating levers only fit back into the "travel limiters" on the outer race casing one way. Just be careful refitting the spring on the lever, after first testing the correct fitment (and free movement) without it.

I've read some pretty smart people (wonder what that's like) state that a complete manifold disassembly is required to free up these problem pivots...not so. The answer was right in front of me, but the elephant sitting on my face had me blinded.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/31301.phtml

Last edited by silverd2; 08-07-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake manifold problem

one of the arms is apparently snapped out of place and hanging the other arm i think came off pretty easily too...

i ve read many post on audi world. When i tried moving them by hand the arms moved pretty easily. However when i start the car or gas the car at high rpm nothing moves... so I'm wondering what to do next?

do they just need cleaning ..... should i goto a dealer or should i goto a private mechanic i am definitely going to install the graven part. I also read that changing the arms it self won't solve the problem.

I wish i knew a good audi mechanic in NJ I'm scared if i should goto a private mechanic he will do a trial and error and charge me for everything.

any advise guys?
Old 11-08-2012, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nimesh
one of the arms is apparently snapped out of place and hanging the other arm i think came off pretty easily too...

i ve read many post on audi world. When i tried moving them by hand the arms moved pretty easily. However when i start the car or gas the car at high rpm nothing moves... so I'm wondering what to do next?

do they just need cleaning ..... should i goto a dealer or should i goto a private mechanic i am definitely going to install the graven part. I also read that changing the arms it self won't solve the problem.

I wish i knew a good audi mechanic in NJ I'm scared if i should goto a private mechanic he will do a trial and error and charge me for everything.

any advise guys?
If your pivots move with no more resistance than the spring tension (tight but moveable...and will return all the way to stop instantly), but don't work in operation then you either have a vacuum leak (hose or broken pod) or an electrical with one of the 2 valves near the pods. If you need to replace a pod (obviously ripped or broken), go to this thread for suppliers...NOT an Audi dealer for parts or repair!!!!!

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...t=gruven+parts

I assume you have a 2000 or later...2 pods. the easy test for vacuum seal and working pivots is >>

Car off: Both pods instantly inflated and both pivots pulled to stop under spring tension.

Car on, idling: both pods fulled evacuated and both pivots pulled back fully to other stop.

Even a very small vacuum leak on any of the small hoses on the front or top of the motor (or a pod), including the ones leading to both fenders (vacuum reservoirs) will stop this system from working.

See post #1 here for other details (including correct changeover rpms) and repair >>

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...geovers&page=3