A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where's the turn signal relay J1 on 1997 A8?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default where's the turn signal relay J1 on 1997 A8?

Canadian car with daytime running lights, in case that makes a difference.

Is the turn signal relay the same as the unit that causes the flashing action?

My turn signals are dead. Nothing comes on when I switch them. The hazard flashers work fine.

The Bentley is baffling me; it seems to contradict itself. In the wiring diagram, page "No. 1/1" (the 2nd of 36 pages of wiring diagrams) , the "Turn Signal Relay, J1" is listed at position 6 in the "Relay Panel under driver's footwell". I've not been able to find this relay panel so far. I have the cover under the steering wheel off, and the rugs out. All I see is a black plastic duct. On page "No. 1/2" (the next page), it lists "Emergency Flasher Relay, J2" in position 11 of the "Relay Panel E-Box footwell front right". This is the rack of 3 rows of 5 relay positions in the passenger footwell. When I pull that relay, the hazard flashing stops. But the clicking noise from the hazard flashers doesn't seem to be coming from that relay, even though it kills the flashing when pulled. ?

However, in the repair manual section of the Bentley, section 97 - Wiring, it says "Auxiliary relay panel in left front footwell - The auxiliary relay panel contains the turn signal relay (J1) and the emergency flasher relay (J2)." So it's contradicting itself, as far as I can tell, at least about the emergency flasher relay location. Then it goes on to instruct how to remove the auxiliary relay panel in left front footwell: "Remove driver's side storage shelf. => Repair Manual, Body-Interior, Repair Group 70. Remove screws and remove auxiliary relay panel." I can't find it and don't know what the "driver's side storage shelf" is. There is no more mention of the driver's side storage shelf in the entire manual, and certainly not in Repair Group 70.

Any tips on where to find this J1 relay, or the auxiliary relay panel in left front footwell?
Old 12-12-2017, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

The post at Living with an Audi A8 D2: Day 1 - Fault 2 - Flasher relay not working on Audi A8 D2, shows 2 photos of the supposed location for the flasher (not likely to be the "Relay Panel under driver's footwell, in my opinion; it seems to be on the passenger side or the front center of the cabin), but they don't make sense to me. The author says the flasher relay is up and to the left of the top of the passenger footwell relay box. That area is buried behind all kinds of A/C ductwork in my 1997 A8. They wouldn't really expect one to pull A/C ductwork to replace a flasher, would they?

Update: The post referenced above seems to be for a UK right hand drive car, so maybe it's a different.location.

Last edited by hillpc; 12-12-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

haven't found the relay, but I did find a missing fuse. Replaced, problem solved.

It's been very tedious for me to walk through the wiring diagrams to figure out what all relays, switches, etc need to be operated into what position, etc to work. Are there some kind of logic diagrams or descriptions available for all the relay logic in various systems? The wiring diagrams don't seem like the best tool for understanding how the equipment works.
Old 04-15-2023, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hillpc
the "Relay Panel under driver's footwell, in my opinion; it seems to be on the passenger side or the front center of the cabin), but they don't make sense to me. The author says the flasher relay is up and to the left of the top of the passenger footwell relay box. That area is buried behind all kinds of A/C ductwork in my 1997 A8. They wouldn't really expect one to pull A/C ductwork to replace a flasher, would they?
I'm surprised no one ever replied to this.
The under floor relay panel is under the passenger floor on a RHD car. So on a LHD car, I would have thought it was also under the passenger floor, but there is a chance it's under the drivers floor I suppose.
Lift out the mat and carpet segment from either floor to expose the ducting etc.
You will see on one side or the other an MDF panel (yes, an MDF panel) held down by several screws (4 from memory, but I haven't been in mine for a while).
Remove screws and left out the panel...
There's your relay box.