A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining noise. FROM WHAT?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfrahm
Hard to say, depends on how tight a turn I guess. I'm not sure if the noise is RPM dependent or not from your description. You say it gets louder with speed? But the same pitch?

I would also try coasting in neutral and seeing if you can change the noise by revvign the engine, hitting the brakes lightly, etc.

-Joel.
Itīs not RPM dependent. It do gets a little louder with speed, but the pitch is basically the same. Iīve also tried revving in neutral, hitting the brakes and so on. No change.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:19 PM

Default Well....

Hard to say, depends on how tight a turn I guess. I'm not sure if the noise is RPM dependent or not from your description. You say it gets louder with speed? But the same pitch?

I would also try coasting in neutral and seeing if you can change the noise by revvign the engine, hitting the brakes lightly, etc.

-Joel.
Itīs not RPM dependent. It do gets a little louder with speed, but the pitch is basically the same. Iīve also tried revving in neutral, hitting the brakes and so on. No change.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:29 PM

Default EXACTLY THE SAME!!

Originally Posted by RJPUK
Let me know if you find it. I have an identical single pitch whine on my 98 S8 that I have been unable to track down. It has not changed in a year, although day to day it can be louder or almost inaudible. Only on motion, doesn't change with revs, steering position, gearbox in neutral or drive, braking, a/c, fan or indeed anything. Sounds like tyre noise, but purer tone and seems higher up (although difficult to tell). Over new, sound absorbing tarmac it is noticeably reduced, so it is being generated outside the passenger compartment. It definitely takes a few minutes of driving before it appears. I thought (from partially tarmaced road repairs) that it was from one side of the vehicle, but have not really proven that. As it has not changed over a year, I have grown used to it and just ignore it, (also if I sit back a bit it reduces, so the resonance transmission is slightly odd) but it would be nice to know what it was. My best guess is a drive shaft bearing, but I would have expected a change in pitch with speed. I hope you have more success than me in tracking it down. The good news is that from my experience it appears completely harmless.
Exactly as you describe it!
-Only in motion.
-Appears after a couple of minutes of driving.
-Doesnīt change with revvs, stearing etc etc.
-Sounds like tyre noise. Loud tyrenoise!!!

The only difference is that it appears every time I drive the car.
My first guess was also drive shaft bearing. Though the car has only done 100.000 miles. Ainīt that strange?
Old 05-14-2009, 11:30 PM

Default Will check.

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
Brake pad rubbing on disk? Check wheel temperatures after some brisk driving. Put the back of your hand NEAR each wheel. Don't touch. A hot wheel from a dragging brake pad can burn you.
Iīll check that. But wouldnīt the pitch of the sound change dependent of speed if it were the brakes?
Old 05-14-2009, 11:32 PM

Default Been there...

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
Have you torqued the lug bolts?
... done that. Occured to me too.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:36 PM

Default Thanks guys!

Real nice to receive all your answers and ideas. Much appreciated! Keep 'em coming!! =)
Old 05-14-2009, 11:41 PM

Default Why not.

Hmm, maybe the EGR air pump in the airbox? That might run when stopped as well though.
Iīll check that anyway. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just for kicks, tell me if the noise goes away with the HVAC turned off.
The electric fan makes a loud squealing sound when they go bad. It sounds exactly like a belt/pulley squealing, easy to miss.

Bob
Old 05-15-2009, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

see my post above, electric fan....., turn A/C off and see if it goes away.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I can't speak for The Ringleader (with a name like that, who could?) but in my case turning the a/c off, or indeed the whole HVAC unit off, makes no difference. Again in my case, the sound is a resonance like a tuning fork, and I could almost believe it could be airflow over something, but there is a delay before it starts, so it must be mechanical and affected by something warming up or getting oil pressure. It could be a resonance of a drive shaft being set off by tyre vibration or a slightly loose bearing, but without a better idea of where to look I have been reluctant to just replace parts randomly, particularly since in my case the noise is generally quiet enough to be drowned out by opening the sunroof or a window, and has not progressed at all in a year to identify the culprit.

Quick Reply: Whining noise. FROM WHAT?!?!