A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Strut Access

Old 08-14-2017, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Rear Strut Access

Hey, just had new rear struts (Bilstein-24-026161) and bump stops installed. I now have a rattle, which seems to be coming from the top of the strut area. Almost sounds like it's coming from the rear passenger's side seat belt retracting area on the shelf.

Does anybody now where the access point is to the top of the strut? Wondering if the top nut needs to be tightened more.

It's madding! The car had no rattles before this. Going back to the shop tomorrow, but if it's easy access I'll take a crack at it, first.

Last edited by 2001 S8; 08-15-2017 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you replace that rubber mount on top of strut assembly?
My fronts had a cracked strut plate that goes under that rubber mount on top so i replaced them too and rubber mounts along with shocks.
i forgot if i replaced those rubber mounts on the rear ones or i did only shocks.
I remember it squeaked like crazy at the rear before i replaced it.(2015 summer)
Old 08-15-2017, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Didn't replace the rear strut mounts but told the mechanic to look them over and replace if they looked worn. There were no noises coming from the rear, prior to strut install.

I had a buddy drive the car, while I sat in the back trying to find the rattle. It seems to be coming from the left rear shelf. The car was on the lift for two days, so maybe something shifted slightly while up there. It doesn't sound like metal on metal or metal on rubber either.

BTW: When fronts were done, I heeded your advice and replaced the upper spring mounts. So over all:

Ride height has risen about 3/4 of inch over all, but I'm guessing the suspension will settle over the next few weeks.

Ride is much smoother. No more "pounding" over expansion joints on the roads.
          Old 08-16-2017, 03:11 AM
          AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

I was gonna suggest the usual loose pieces of pressboard under the roller shade/"hat shelf" but you have that link in your sig that suggests you have already been in there.
          Old 08-16-2017, 03:48 AM
          AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, that pressboard rattle drove me crazy until I tracked it down.

Drove around last night trying to find the rattle. All signs/sounds point to top of the strut. I'm stopping by the shop that did the work, and see if they'll do a quick inspection for any loose items that need to be tightened.

My heart is hoping it's just a loose nut. My gut is telling me it's a worn-out strut mount or spring plate.

I'll post my findings when I get them.
          Old 10-15-2017, 04:38 AM
          AudiWorld Senior Member

Wrapping this up. The rattle is fixed. I replaced the rear strut and strut mount. I'll warranty out the strut and eat the cost of the strut mount. The mount looked good for being 16 years old and 129,xxx miles.

Follow up on ride height: front height is the same as pre-install and rear height is 1/8 of an inch higher.

Good luck.