A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yahoo A8 Transmission Group

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yahoo A8 Transmission Group

I have read 100s of emails on the transmissions on this site over the years. Paul and others have mentioned documenting those who have experienced transmission failures.

I doubt Audi of America will help us out with these transmissions. My goal is for people to go up to this group and document your story related to your transmission. Please dont go up if you have not experienced any transmission failure.

Even with this issue, I still love my A8. OK, I like my A8 right about now. The goal is to go up and share your experience once. It will be a repository for others to locate information on resolving transmission issues.

At this moment, you can post messages. At some point, I will put up all the transmission codes, TCU codes, etc. We will provide Audi part numbers with corresponding Bosch numbers. We will provide all the wholesalers for these transmissions. I will put links to the salvage yards, etc.

At this moment, its only my message. Please take a minute to write something about your experiences if you have run into a thump or limp mode issue. Someone tried to sell you a new transmission but you outsmarted them. Our goal is to share this knowledge with other A8 owners to insure we all "outsmart" these people trying to sell us a new transmission.

Thanks for your time and feel free to email me at smulvill@yahoo.com if you would like to take something offline.

Sean<ul><li><a href="http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/a8transmission/">http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/a8transmission/</a</li></ul>
Old 01-21-2004, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Is this something you really want to do?

I would suggest one or two things.

1. The transmission problems of individuals are already documented here on Audiworld. Plus Audiworld is always available and it doesn't require a user ID to view it.

If you want, why don't you do a search of all the good threads (which include troubleshooting steps from others) and mark their HTML page. If you don't know how to do that, do a search and find the threads you want, then just right click on them and choose "copy shortcut" and then paste it into a word document, you will have direct links. That is a problem with Audiworld, it works in frames and you can't easily copy the link if you don't know you can right click on it.

I can host a page on audipages with links to all of these articles already there. Kinda like Stoney's A6 links.

2. Gather the information that you suggest above and either convert it to HTML format, or put it in a word document and send it to me (I will convert it). I will host it at audipages.

I think trying to create a Yahoo Group for this will not achieve the results that you might want. Posting it either here or on audipages will.

Thanks for your effort, and I will be happy to work with you on this if you'd like.

What did you decide on your tranny?
Old 01-21-2004, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Is this something you really want to do?

I am still waiting for them to flush the transmission. Every place I call wants to sell me a new transmission. I even asked about the selenoids to a trans shop and he says he does not know where to get a selenoid.

I read your post on one of the transmissions about gathering names. We set these groups up professionally when we are managing a project. I will see what type of feedback we receive. We can always import all of these files or comments over to audipages.

I guess what I am saying, we should go ahead and create this site on the audi pages. I have spent at least 20 hours researching this information and would like to make the information available and see about working with preferred vendors to get discounts.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:25 AM
Elder Member

Default More than anything else ...

this reminds me that I wish a manual transmission had been an S8 option. The S8 and a Range Rover were the only cars I've ever owned with auto's, and I never had to even replace a clutch.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Is this something you really want to do?

where can i find info on the A8 tranny? My 99A8Q tranny went out (the red lights went on and it wouldn't engage) at 71K miles and the dealer wants $9K to replace it. Should I trust used ones or are remanufactured by either Phoenix or ZF a safer choice? What should I anticipate for installation cost?