A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 a8L 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 a8L 4.2

Hey everyone I'm new here haven't posted yet but always search the forums I am from Brooklyn newyork , a few days ago I went to get my headlights buffed out as they where pretty dull looking and hazy , after it was finished u went to self car wash washed the car and headlights and desires to wash off engine bay , I've done it before with all my cars n never had an issue until this time , as I left the wash my abs module went out and through all the abs codes in dash wich j didn't care about because module has been intermitting faults even though I've sent it out for rebuild a year ago just haven't replaced it . I got home turned off car noticed fan kept running and killed the battery so I un plugged fuse for fan charged battery plugged fuSe in now all is well again , continued to drive car for rest of day turn off turn on no problem , parked car for 5 minutes came outside went to start and it cranked and crank and cranked but would never start , saw a big puff of smoke coming from drivers side next morning u went out to check and realized the abs module fried as well as connector harness , I've got new harness so going to repin today , but when u scan car with Carista phone app, it says no power to injectors all 8 and also had a no communication to pcm fault , thought u fried ecu but next day code for no communication went away but I still have no power to injectors , I believe I've checked all fuses on passanger side and all appear to be good , as well as fuel pump relay in trunk is working as well , I'm lost as of now , don't know what else to do
Old 10-17-2016, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

ABS module harness insulation is notorious for deteriorating over time. I'm sure other wiring is too. Spray a bunch of high pressure water all over engine bay wiring with marginal insulation integrity and you've got a Christmas tree on the dash and a raft of seemingly unrelated electrical issues like you have.

Try and dry the engine bay out (leave the hood open in a well ventilated garage with a fan blowing on it) and see if the problems go away.

But be prepared for more random electrical issues in the future. I suspect this will be the issue that will eventually see our otherwise solid mechanically old A8's in the junk yard.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
ABS module harness insulation is notorious for deteriorating over time. I'm sure other wiring is too. Spray a bunch of high pressure water all over engine bay wiring with marginal insulation integrity and you've got a Christmas tree on the dash and a raft of seemingly unrelated electrical issues like you have.

Try and dry the engine bay out (leave the hood open in a well ventilated garage with a fan blowing on it) and see if the problems go away.

But be prepared for more random electrical issues in the future. I suspect this will be the issue that will eventually see our otherwise solid mechanically old A8's in the junk yard.
Well I just replaced wire harness connector and messed up wires going to connector gonna loom them in so it looks nice and clean . Was wondering if the ecu has a holding relay in it that sends power to the injectors as I seen in other models
Old 10-17-2016, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Old 10-17-2016, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

After I cut and splice all wires back together , most of the wires are colored coded except for about 5 brown and black wires that I did 1 by one to make sure I connect the same wires back in place