A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 A8 "jerky" shift from 2 to 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 11:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 A8 "jerky" shift from 2 to 3

VIN: WAUML44E84N004115

I purchased my 2004 A8L used and have had it back to the dealer at least 3 times for MMI reset problems, and a "jerky" shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. There are no Error codes related to the MMI or Transmission, but I can feel that there is a problem with the transmission, and the MMI does have slow response... and reset at least 3 times since I owned it. Has anyone had luck getting their transmission fixed even though it generated no codes? Is this just something I need to live with? Also, what about MMI NAV response. It can take several minutes for my stored locations to show up on the screen. Is this normal, or a problem?
Old 03-25-2007, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What does your mechanic say about the tranny?

Has it always shiftedthis way/ I believe that some forum members did experience this at one time but Im not sure what the fix is, if there is one.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: What does your mechanic say about the tranny?

I use the Audi Exchange for my service. I have been happy with their service except for when there is no error code to go along with the problem. The car has about 28K miles on it, and has always shifted a little rough 1 to 2, and 2 to 3. I don't know if this is normal, since I didn't purchase this new. Last time I had the car in, they did a great job detailing it, but I rolled the window down this weekend, and couldn't roll it back up! I love the feel of the A8, and had traded in a 2004 Porsche Cayenne for this car. This car feels and drives 100 times better than the Cayenne... but I expect perfection for a car in this class... Am I expecting too much?
Old 03-25-2007, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well, at least they can do a detail!!!!!

Are you expecting too much? 04 was an "interesting" year for the A8. Expectations are usually based on previous experience and/or what youve read about the car. I went into my first Audi fairly "blind" and was stung. Some of us have had a lousy relationship with our A8s and others have been very satisfied. Tranny issues plagued the model before ours although, as I said before, some D3 owners have complained about shifts that were a bit less than gentle! Has Audi Exchange driven your car with you in it such that you can show them the issue? You must be the only A8 owner who rolls down their windows!!
Old 03-26-2007, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My former 2004 A8 had the exact same MMI problems (resets and slow loads)...

...I got the same tired BS from my dealer regarding the resets: "We can't reproduce it so there's nothing we can do." I wish you better luck with your dealer. I never complained about the slow loads.

FWIW, I was too worn down but the constant battles with my dealer to escalate the MMI issues. If I had, they might have replaced the MMI or taken other more aggressive action. Keep at it with the dealer until you are satisfied.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Lexus driving experience?

Thanks for the response, I see you moved to Lexus. I tried driving other cars, but for some strange reason, I like the feel of the Audi versus any other car I have driven. We have had Audi's ever since 1998. Other than getting better service with Lexus, what are your thoughts about the cars themselves? Driving experience...

With my kids getting to college age, I don't think I will be able to afford another "luxury" car so this one will have to last for many years... at least the A8 shouldn't rust...
Old 03-26-2007, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default The jerky 2-3 shift is pretty typical I'm afraid

This has been one of my very few complaints about the car since day one.

The shift is especially poor in Sport mode around town on part throttle, full throttle shifts are significantly smoother.

So I drive in normal mode when in town and put the shifter into Sport mode when on the highway, which helps to smooth out the shifts under both conditions. However, I must say that the 2-3 shift even in normal mode is jerkier than the other gear changes.

I've spoken to our dealer about it on a couple of occasions and it seems that while the 6-speed ZF tranny is common to BMW and Audi, the programming makes the difference from the manufacturers. And I've compared the shift quality and speed to an '06 750Li and I must say the overall impression is much better in the BMW, albeit I can't stand the rest of the car!

And this was one of the key areas I looked for when test driving the Mercedes-Benz S550 (which I eventually ordered) with its 7-speed gearbox. This is the same box as on the '04 SL500 that was traded as a part of the S550 deal and it has proven to be strong and smooth, with speedy shifts especially in sport mode; and IMHO this box has improved with its implementation in the S550 based on my test drive impressions.

Can't speak to the MMI problem as I've only suffered system reset on 3 occasions, plus a couple of times when the nav disc couldn't be read. I am one of the lucky ones with my '04, as it suffered no major issue in the 42 months that I've had it.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: The jerky 2-3 shift is pretty typical I'm afraid

Thanks. Your response is very informative. I'm OK if this type of "jerkiness" is "normal" and will not turn into a future problem. I love the A8 and am trying to have all the problems I can repaired before the 4 year warranty expires in October. I did purchase an extended warranty for any major problems after the factory warranty is out...

Enjoy the Mercedes! Nice Choice.

What are your thoughts about Lexus vs Audi or Mercedes??? - - - Maybe my next car will be another Honda (Former Honda Civic CVCC owner - 1979)
Old 03-26-2007, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Lexus builds very fine vehicles, but different in execution than Audi or Mercedes-Benz

I've been deeply impressed with Lexus ever since my father leased a '91 LS400 (followed by a '95) and the quality of engineering and workmanship was apparent in every surface seen and touched, as well as in the wonderful V8 powerplant and the ride.

But compared to the BMWs that began appearing on our driveways, starting with a CPO '88 635CSi and followed by a new '98 740iL that my father leased to replace the Lexus, it was obvious the different segment of customers it was targeting compared to the Teutonic marques.

And Lexus has done very well indeed being the Japanese Cadillac and meeting its customers' needs, by providing very reliable luxury automobiles coupled with fantastic dealer sales and service experiences.

But make no mistake, the driving experience offered is very different compared to BMW, Audi and Mercedes-Benz. It's this difference that gravitates me towards the Teutonic marques and have been since '93, when I replaced my '88 Honda Prelude Si (pretty hot car for a 17 year old at the time) with a VW Corrado VR6 - the car that marked me for German cars forever.

You'll notice from my sig that my wife drives a Lexus LX470 as her daily driver, mainly because we wanted a reliable SUV that can tow my M3 track car on a trailer. And again, the ownership experience has been awesome with our dealer, while the ride quality and driving experience have left us cold. That's why when its lease is up in 12 months' time, we are going to look seriously at the Mercedes-Benz GL450 as its replacement, as we've been told the driving experience and the ride are superior to that of the Lexus.

But we'll also look at the new LX570 when we take our infant daughter to her very first NY Int'l Auto Show, where the new LX will make its debut. We fear though that the LX570 will be Lexus' take on the Cadillac Escalade and we're just NOT ready for that in our garage.

BTW, a Lexus is a Toyota...and the Acura is a Honda...
Old 03-27-2007, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The GS is a nice car....obviously a different class than the A8

The short version:

1) The interior and handling falls short of the Audi -- but not by much.

2) The electronics are far superior to anything that Audi offers (I have the full-boat Mark Levinson Audio, Bluetooth, Nav, etc.)

3) Skip runflat tires as they ride very hard -- I an replacing them with normal tires once the OEM runflats wear out.

4) The 303hp V6 in my GS is strong and smooth -- better than the 4.2 V8 in my A8, IMHO. I did, however, have a 2004 A8 which did have some known shifting smoothness issues.

5) My Lexus dealer experience has been exemplary. Audi cannot hold a candle to Lexus in this regard -- this is the reason I switched. You can search the forum for more detailed comments that I made here last October.

I would be happy to answer your specific questions.