A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 A8 - Adding Bluetooth & Satellite questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 A8 - Adding Bluetooth & Satellite questions

Ok so I'm a bit lost, I have read that the best way to get Ipod/iPhone integration is get the AMI but if you want bluetooth I should get the Gateway 500.

here is what I would like, Bluetooth so I can stream Pandora, phone integration so I can take calls from the car handsfree dial and receive from MMI & XM Satellite through MMI.

is this possible without dropping a ton of $$ that I don't have now that I just did my timing belt.

I've searched the threads and I'm sorry but it's just confusing me more.

Thanks for all your help, guidance, and feedback.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You need Bluetooth phone connection in order to connect your phone. Best is OEM retrofit. They came late 2005 and on and could be found used. Installation is relatively easy if you are handy. That won't connect your music. You need AMI in order to do so. OEM is best (as far as I know and I am not really into it) and retrofit is easy. Only problem is they don't come cheap. As far as I remember Bluetooth music stream is low quality on some phones.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

For what you are looking for I would go with the Denison Gateway because by adding that one module, you can do both blutooth telephone and ipod/flash drive music integration though your MMI. I'm not sure if they have XM module though. Doesn't you factory MMI have XM capability?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by localbrew
Ok so I'm a bit lost, I have read that the best way to get Ipod/iPhone integration is get the AMI but if you want bluetooth I should get the Gateway 500.

here is what I would like, Bluetooth so I can stream Pandora, phone integration so I can take calls from the car handsfree dial and receive from MMI & XM Satellite through MMI.

is this possible without dropping a ton of $$ that I don't have now that I just did my timing belt.

I've searched the threads and I'm sorry but it's just confusing me more.

Thanks for all your help, guidance, and feedback.
I have a 2004 and have the connections you are seeking. I installed a BMW Bluetooth upgrade module in place of the old Motorola phone in the existing dock under the armrests to get the bluetooth phone connection and I installed the Audi Music Interface with bluetooth module in the glove compartment for the music streaming. I use an iPhone 4s and the sound quality is pretty decent - not as good as using the ipod wire to the AMI, but pretty close.

I do have XM in my car as well, but rarely use it because the audio quality is better streaming from my phone than from the satellite and I prefer the internet stations to the XM ones. You can also get an XM app if you really like those stations. I'd do the bluetooth connection first and see if you really want XM before you fork out the $$ for the satellite receiver.

Good luck.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you Rowlie - can you give me the part #'s for both please. The Bluetooth module and the XM part, also are they pretty easy to install yourself? Thank you very much for your help.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by localbrew
Thank you Rowlie - can you give me the part #'s for both please. The Bluetooth module and the XM part, also are they pretty easy to install yourself? Thank you very much for your help.
Here's a link to the BMW module, but I know I didn't pay anywhere near the $345 they're asking for it: http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catal...-item-116.html

I'd look around a little bit. I'm sure you can find one for under $100 somewhere. I just got mine at the BMW dealer parts department.

I rode my bike today, so my car isn't here to find out what my XM module is. It was in the car when I bought it. in 2004 you had to choose whether you wanted Sirius or XM. I know mine is the Sirius version.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default XM receiver

Get it Quick only 3 hours left !!! 2:34 pm est now, and at $20 that's a steal, I got one off ebay for the 04 A8L for $10 and free shipping and it was active... it is plug and play in the A8 trunk left side.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-XM-Modu...af700f&vxp=mtr

or new,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-XM-Satel...00830973103%26

These things range from $10.00 to $300.00, sometimes you get lucky.........

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 11-21-2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: info
Old 11-21-2012, 11:02 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sirius-Tuner...21026748431%26

forget this one !! $54.00 shipping !!!!

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 11-21-2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: info
Old 12-17-2012, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Rowlie
I have a 2004 and have the connections you are seeking. I installed a BMW Bluetooth upgrade module in place of the old Motorola phone in the existing dock under the armrests to get the bluetooth phone connection and I installed the Audi Music Interface with bluetooth module in the glove compartment for the music streaming. I use an iPhone 4s and the sound quality is pretty decent - not as good as using the ipod wire to the AMI, but pretty close.

I do have XM in my car as well, but rarely use it because the audio quality is better streaming from my phone than from the satellite and I prefer the internet stations to the XM ones. You can also get an XM app if you really like those stations. I'd do the bluetooth connection first and see if you really want XM before you fork out the $$ for the satellite receiver.

Good luck.
Rowlie,
how did you get yours to work?
I just Purchased the V60 cradle as well as the Motorola Bluetooth module but I cant' get it to work.
I even purchased a used V60 from ebay just to test the cradle but the phone does not power on either.
Does it have something to do with codding/addaptation?