A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 A8 erratic starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 A8 erratic starting

Usually the car has started quickly and no indication of battery issues. Recently it has not turned over at all occasionally, and then when it does turn over it starts immediately. Now sitting in our garage for 1 week and will not turn over, though battery is completely charged.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Hi and welcome to AW. Search the D3 A8 forum (this forum), and also (I'll say it first) post a VCDS scan.... It'd be helpful if you'd fill out your profile so someone nearby could offer a VCDS scan.

One of mine has an intermittent start problem; it's done it for years and seems I remember it is a common(ish) fault related to crankshaft position sensor. I'd guess in my case it is once every hundred starts. I just keep trying to crank it and it eventually starts, usually after three or four tries. This is over about a hundred thousand miles... YMMV...

-Tom
Old 12-03-2018, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by aTOMic
One of mine has an intermittent start problem; it's done it for years and seems I remember it is a common(ish) fault related to crankshaft position sensor. I'd guess in my case it is once every hundred starts. I just keep trying to crank it and it eventually starts, usually after three or four tries. This is over about a hundred thousand miles... YMMV...

-Tom
Hi TommY...
I believe S C Audis is saying his engine does not turn over at all, as in it is not cranking at all, as in the starter is not engaging, as he said "and then when it does turn over it starts immediately",....
Old 12-03-2018, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT
Hi TommY...
I believe S C Audis is saying his engine does not turn over at all, as in it is not cranking at all, as in the starter is not engaging, as he said "and then when it does turn over it starts immediately",....
Hey Gianni! Yup, that's what mine has done for years. Turn key to "Start" - nothing. No starter, no crank, just silence... Try a few more times and... normal cranking & start.

Buon Natale!
Tom
Old 12-03-2018, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Hey Gianni! Yup, that's what mine has done for years. Turn key to "Start" - nothing. No starter, no crank, just silence... Try a few more times and... normal cranking & start.

Buon Natale!
Tom
Okay, but you threw me off with the CPS comment, as I have never seen a "fault related to crankshaft position sensor" cause a no starter engagement situation, a faulty CPS is were the engine will crank over and over, but will not fire up (run).
Old 12-03-2018, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

For the OP, It sounds like your starter has reached the end of it's useful life. A VCDS scan would give you a starter fault code confirming this. Then again, a wiring failure to the starter solenoid could give you this symptom. Standard troubleshooting techniques apply. You will need the VCDS interface cable & software to perform step one.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default what's the chances both of my favorite people on the same post

Buon Natale!
Tom
Stealing the post just to say HI to Tom (what's up with the sage instead of beige? you got both now?) and GG (how's the beautiful "B", did you ever get it back together again after the crane?.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 12-04-2018, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
For the OP, It sounds like your starter has reached the end of it's useful life. A VCDS scan would give you a starter fault code confirming this. Then again, a wiring failure to the starter solenoid could give you this symptom. Standard troubleshooting techniques apply. You will need the VCDS interface cable & software to perform step one.
Probably the sticking/jammed solenoid, repaired easily using my inject lube technique. I did mine 3 years ago, haven't had a problem since.

Also did this to a motor on my Range Rover - saved a rear diff motor drop and replace !! Same vendor to Valeo.