AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/)
-   -   2004 A8L Recommended Maintenance (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/2004-a8l-recommended-maintenance-2796184/)

dsorensn 12-09-2010 06:55 PM

2004 A8L Recommended Maintenance

Just purchased a one owner A8L with 98k miles - very please with the car so far. This will be my 4th used Audi and have previously done pretty much all of my own maintenance.

The previous owner pretty much followed the Audi play book with regard to recommended maintenance. To get things off on the right foot for the next 100k miles I am planning on doing a complete initial maintenance round myself (change all of the fluids, filters and ect). I was hoping I could get some advice from some of the more seasoned A8 veterans on this forum regarding maintenance must do's for this particular car. For example I've read where transmission fluid and filter changes is strongly recommended even though Audi suggests that the procedure is not required.

Thanks in advance!

Don
2004 A8L

Brozee 12-09-2010 10:29 PM

Trans fluid and filter is NOT recommended unless you are experiencing problems. This is a HUGE expense. No fluids besides oil on these car needs to be changed. Scan the forums for other posts as there are dozens covering these topics. As for routine maintenance change the cabin filter, air filter, oil, and spark plugs ever 60k. Besides that let er rip. No sense in putting money into replacing things that are better off not being replaced. Check and see if the timing belt service was done anywhere from 75k to where you are now, if not look into getting that done. To be fully honest no there is service needs to be done; a lot of people do overkill.

dsorensn 12-10-2010 06:27 AM

Thanks for the commentary!

The car did have the timing belt replaced at 81K miles. One of the reasons I choose this car over another very similar car that actually had fewer miles, but 3 owners and no timing belt replacement.

With respect to the transmission. I have noticed that the transition from 2nd to 3rd is a bit abrupt, more so than the other gear changes which can be almost unnoticeable. Could this be simply due to a larger ratio change between these two gears? Other comments?

Another item that I have had to replace on my other Audi's at this point is CV boots. And though I have had good luck with power steering systems on the other cars is there any special considerations here? Of course normal ware items such as brake pads and rotors are relatively obvious.

With respect to the body and interior the only item that we found that was somewhat troubled was the skylight window retraction motor / and or the associated drive mechanism. The drive seems to grind or vibrate excessively at various points as the window opens/closes.

Finally are there any comments on must-have accessories for these cars?

FTO1978 12-10-2010 06:37 AM

I did change the tranny fluid and screen (filter)on my 04 at home at 77K. Not to different from any other Audi. $70 for the screen and $35 a liter for fluid. It took about 6.5 liters for the change. It seems to shift smoother when it was done. The old fluid was darker than the new stuff but still transparent. Lots of goo on the magnets though.

williebone 12-10-2010 06:53 AM

Don't Belleve The Hype!

Originally Posted by Brozee (Post 24073103)
Trans fluid and filter is NOT recommended unless you are experiencing problems. This is a HUGE expense. No fluids besides oil on these car needs to be changed. Scan the forums for other posts as there are dozens covering these topics. As for routine maintenance change the cabin filter, air filter, oil, and spark plugs ever 60k. Besides that let er rip. No sense in putting money into replacing things that are better off not being replaced. Check and see if the timing belt service was done anywhere from 75k to where you are now, if not look into getting that done. To be fully honest no there is service needs to be done; a lot of people do overkill.

Brozee, you can't buy into everything that Audi Claims! ZF who's the Manufacturer even says change at 50K to 75K Miles depending on Driving Style and sure it's Lifetime to get Audi outside of the Waranty Period which saves them Money! You will not have any problems with your Tranny ever because you have had your Fluid Changed even though it was for a Few Symptoms, but if you were there to Witness the Change, you would've seen the Mud that was Drained. Pop the Oil Pan from any Tranny with 40K Miles on it and you'll see Metal Shavings, Sludge, and Dirty Fluid. The only way that the Fluid will be Lifetime is if You Are Driving Miss Daisy! Most of us throw Miss Daisy out on the Curb and Drive It Like It's Hot!

The first Symptom that you will notice with this Tranny is Shifting Trouble be it Abrupt Shifting between Gears or Hesitation however Mild it may be! The next thing is more Pronounced and that is Hooting and Shutter, but the key here is to not ignore the Fluid. There are 2 things that an A8 Owner should do at 60K to 80K Miles and that is Have The Update Done ($120) if you have Pre-(G-055-168-A2) Blue Transmission Fluid. That is if you are using the G-055-005-A2 Yellow which more than likely has not had the Flash Update. The Next thing to do is Purchase 16qts of the Recomended Fluid for your Year/Make/Model which by the way I was told to do by ZF themselves unless I was having Severe Transmission Issues and I Repeat the Word (Severe)!

The Update itself will Resolve Most Symptoms without the need to Upgrade the Fluid. Brozee, I'm sorry to hear that you like so many others have gone and Paid the Rediculous Rape Price ($1500/$2000) at the Stealership for a Complete Service when you didn't have to which buy the way doesn't even include Filter & Gasket told to me buy Audi Techs. Sure this is Expensive if you're not a DIYer or a Very Resourceful Person who Digs Down Deep for Alternative Solutions such Researching and direct Communication with ZF Germany. Had you done this then you would know that the Audi OEM Transmission Fluid is ZF5/ZF6/ZF6+/& ZF8 all of which are sold here in the States from a Ton of US Distributors starting as Low as $17 Per Quart for G-055-005-A2 (Yellow) as opposed to $30 & Up @ Stealerships. From this point you're out of the $120 for the Update, $300 or so for the Fluid, $160 (Filter/Gasket) and $120 to $180 for the Indy Service for a Total of $700 to $760 and if you do it yourself then it's $580 + Your Time! I think that to Risk Replacing an $8000 Transmission because Mis-Information is a Heavy Price To Pay! Ask me how do I know all of this and I'll answer you with: Research and Persistance!

I'm yet to Update my 75K Service Thread, but when I do, I will be adding all of the Emails from ZF and the US Distributors. I'm just realy slow when it comes to Write Ups, but it's Coming Soon! Sorry about all of the Ranting and I know that there are People who Buy Into the Lifetime Theory and my Hats off to them, but there are also a Ton of People who have changed their Fluid/Filter/ & Gasket. Those that haven't more than likely believe in the Lifetime Promise from Audi and/or are afraid because of Lack Of Information and/or Mis-Information and only think that this is an Expensive Dealership Only Service! I am Proof that their are Options for Audi Owners other than being Raped to the Poor House or Paying the Stearlership just because you have the Money! I say that before leading people down a path that you should be certain that it's not just because of other's Practise and Beliefs, but because it's your own and backed by something Concrete other than Bad Experiences or what it Cost you! Laters,

Mister Bally 12-10-2010 09:05 AM

Wow.

Is it 6 or 16 liters?

I bought my car used with 56k miles and have no idea if any transmission service(s) were performed. However, I know I won't touch that beast until I have some problems.

The only time I notice "hard" shifts are when I accidentally put the lever in "S" instead of "D". I immediately change the position of the lever. Laters,

4ringking 12-10-2010 09:21 AM

If your A8 is a 2004 and it should use the regular ZF 6 speed auto transmission and it should not be that expensive for the parts, do your research about filling in up.

williebone 12-10-2010 11:00 AM

Damn I Need To Finish My 75K Service Thread!

Originally Posted by FTO1978 (Post 24073208)
I did change the tranny fluid and screen (filter)on my 04 at home at 77K. Not to different from any other Audi. $70 for the screen and $35 a liter for fluid. It took about 6.5 liters for the change. It seems to shift smoother when it was done. The old fluid was darker than the new stuff but still transparent. Lots of goo on the magnets though.

A ZF Distributor said something interesting to me during a conversation and that was that the Gasket was Re-Usable! Did you not replace the Gasket? Curiosity is killing me because I paid $160 for the Filter/Screen, Gasket, Drain Plug with Seal/Gasket and O-Ring Seal. Although I negotiated a Great Deal with my Audi Parts Department, I have found another Dealership for $40 Cheaper on the Filter/Screen & Gasket. I'm debating on a Return of the Filter & Gasket, but I worked them over so hard I'm almost feeling bad about doing it! But if I don't need the Gasket then that's even better, so I may have to ask my Audi Techs about the Gasket not needing replaced. BTW, I'm sorry that you Paid $35/Bottle! Thanks

Originally Posted by Mister Bally (Post 24073305)
Wow.

Is it 6 or 16 liters?

I bought my car used with 56k miles and have no idea if any transmission service(s) were performed. However, I know I won't touch that beast until I have some problems.

The only time I notice "hard" shifts are when I accidentally put the lever in "S" instead of "D". I immediately change the position of the lever. Laters,

It's 6, 8, or 16 depending on what you're doing! I'd say 5 to 6qts if you just Quick Drain the Pan and Refill it. I'd say 7 to 8qts if you let the Drain Plug sit open or leave the Pan off Over-Night. If you do it the Audi Drain/Fill/Flush Method, then you need 16qts. I'll give you one guess as to which Method I chose! lol :D MB, we know you're Master at pushing something to "Point Break", but as I told you in another Thread I don't have a Poker Face. lol I will explain it all in my 75K Service Thread. Laters,

Originally Posted by 4ringking (Post 24073317)
If your A8 is a 2004 and it should use the regular ZF 6 speed auto transmission and it should not be that expensive for the parts, do your research about filling in up.

The only Part that Is Dealer Exclusive is the Filter/Screen, Gasket, Drain Plug w/Seal Gasket, and Fill Plug O-Ring Gasket. Use your Loyalty Discount or Save your Coupons from Audi or Negotiate Price or all 3 if your're Ballzy Enough. There's a Mark-Up on these Parts and you don't have to pay it if you know what to do. However, there is a Sponsor here on this Forum who's Actually an Audi Parts Department that passes the Savings on to us on everything they sell. Like you said, "Do Your Research". I'm glad you know what I know. Thanks

I've found out that Dealer Exclusive Items are not Released to Distributors or for Mass-Aftermaket Production on Specific Parts & Fluids until well after these Cars are 6 to 8 Years Old. So if you do the Math that would put an '04 Tranny outside 70K Miles or more now if that doesn't make you Go Hmm or Scratch your Head then nothing will! As you can see, it's getting close to time for them to release their hold on the Filter/Screen and associated parts, but the Fluid has been Released by ZF & Audi.

I've learned that there is a Whole Family Tree of ZF Transmissions with Different Designation and there are First Generation and Second Generation Trannys. Depending on your Year/Make/Model there are Differences in Parts & Fluids which will be in the Write UP. Thanks to MP4.2+6.0 for getting me started on this Venture. Laters,

dsorensn 12-10-2010 11:10 AM

Very interesting, thank you williebone for the info. I will definitely be moving ahead with your recommendations.

One frustrated local A8 owner has taken up a public awarness campain of his own with regard to A8 transmission oil changes. Please read this post recently put up on our local Craigslist:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2796184

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2796184

FTO1978 12-10-2010 11:16 AM

I reused gasket. I appeared fine and it came off easily. Transaxle strainer(filter) cost $64.80 at www.genuinevwaudiparts.com + shipping.