A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 audi a8 centre console fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 03:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 audi a8 centre console fix

Hello friends, i was wondering if i could take the center console completely out of my 05 audi a8 and replace it with an a6 center console, has anyone ever done it? if its possible, how hard is it to do that, can anyone shine some light on this, really appreciated. thanks guys
Old 01-12-2016, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

But why?
Old 01-12-2016, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

To address the question, I'm sure you could shoehorn it in there. But, if you managed it, it wouldn't line up with the dash and you'd have some very unsightly gaps.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

hello! first of all i am tired of fixing the lid latch (metal part), which opens the center console, there are two of them, plastic part holding the metal breaks very easy and there is no other way of fixing it unless i replace it, and another thing is that i would love to have just one big console instead of two small ones, thanks
Old 01-12-2016, 04:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

fact of the matter is, previous owner tried fixing this same issue, he couldn't fix it properly now the driver side is about half an inch higher that the passenger side, plus i want to be able to use it for storage, such as paper work etc etc. had anyone ever replaced the center console with the audi a6 center console. thanks
Old 01-12-2016, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Do you mean just replacing the armrest and associated storage cubby? The vents to the rear won't allow any more space lower, and there isn't a mounting point for the A6 style armrest.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

You mean replace the two height adjustable armrests with the single style one from an A6?

I'm fairly sure the mechanism to adjust the height is relatively easily fixed, or you can easily get salvage parts.

I'm sure you could Jerry rig the A6 one in there somehow but it would probably look pretty crappy as nothing would line up right and it may also end up at an uncomfortable height.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by darkchildbati
fact of the matter is, previous owner tried fixing this same issue, he couldn't fix it properly now the driver side is about half an inch higher that the passenger side, plus i want to be able to use it for storage, such as paper work etc etc. had anyone ever replaced the center console with the audi a6 center console. thanks
Having replaced one, that relative height issue you mention is adjustable. Did it in fine tuning mine. Yes, latch is not replaceable except by buying upper cover, which is separate from the lower cubby part.

I doubt an A6 one would fit or size right. My C5 A6 one was a lot narrower than the combination of the two combined in the D3. Don't know about the now immediate prior generation C6 though, which was more the contemporary peer to the D3. Be careful on the base mount too. I suspect a lot more trouble than its worth to try to mod or hack it.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thank you all for your input, i guess i am going to live with replacing just the armrests and does anybody know good source for used armrests? thank you all
Old 01-12-2016, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by darkchildbati
hello! first of all i am tired of fixing the lid latch (metal part), which opens the center console, there are two of them, plastic part holding the metal breaks very easy and there is no other way of fixing it unless i replace it, and another thing is that i would love to have just one big console instead of two small ones, thanks
ME TOO!

But I also thought with some neodymium magnets we could improve/replace the latching.

Quick Reply: 2005 audi a8 centre console fix