A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 A8 cigarette lighters, cup holder lights and vent lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 A8 cigarette lighters, cup holder lights and vent lights not working

Greetings everyone!

I have an 06 A8 and as the title says, the front and rear cigarette lighters as well as the cup holder light, front ash tray light, all of the vent illuminations and also all of the buttons on the silver trim piece that goes across the dash just underneath the MMI screen are all off and not working. It seems to be a common denominator but I am not sure what is wrong. I did check the fuses on both sides of the dash, they are all good.
I searched and have found a couple of other threads on other places online with people with the exact same issue, but no one ever replied what their solution was.
Any ideas?

Also, I am new here and have a general question - what are the requirements to be able to post to the classifieds section?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 05-22-2014, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default A shot in the dark - check your rear windows switch

Check to see if it's off on your windows switch panel. Turn it back on.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 05-22-2014, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Check to see if it's off on your windows switch panel. Turn it back on.

Cheers,

Louis
Thanks for the tip, but I am not sure what you mean by the rear windows switch panel? Could you elaborate, am I just having a brain fart moment?
Old 05-22-2014, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The switch that turn off the rear windows switches

Originally Posted by blackraven
Thanks for the tip, but I am not sure what you mean by the rear windows switch panel? Could you elaborate, am I just having a brain fart moment?
Child proof windows switch
Old 05-23-2014, 06:29 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Check this out.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2831582&page=2
Old 05-24-2014, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wonderful! Thank you very much for posting this, I've been searching for information for so long now... I will take apart the armrests this weekend and will report back so others can solve this issue if they ever encounter it!
Old 05-24-2014, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default How is the Bentley going JJQ?

Your A8L must be doing well, haven't seen you here for a while, I started to see some B Coupe s driving around and some of my friends even mention about them... Is it a fad these days with B? How do they really drive like?

Cheers,

Louis
Old 05-24-2014, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thank you for the help guys, today I got to the bottom of the issue. The problem was caused by a pinched and shorted wire inside the swivel mechanism on the passenger arm rest. There is a black/red wire that goes into the arm rest to illuminate the red LED. The cable runs up the central shaft that holds the arm rests, and then winds around a grommet and goes into the arm rest, and over the years from moving it up/down the red and black wires become exposed and short out, causing half of the dashboard lights to go out.
I simply spliced the wires together again, isolated them with electrical tape, and all of the dash lights work

Special thanks to JohnnyJ A6Q for pointing out that thread to me. Let me know if you have a Dogecoin address and I'll tip you
Old 05-24-2014, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for the post - I just realized my vent dials

and the other lights are not working also. I need to look at the wires too. My cigarette lighters work though.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 05-25-2014, 09:06 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I am back..... :(

Blackraven,

I am very glad my thread helped you fix this, and just to clarify for Louis, I believe your cigarette lighters still functioned as far as heating element and just the lighting around them was non functional along with switches and vents as was the case when I found the cut wire in my passenger side armrest.

Hello Louis,
I have yet to drive my "B GT" as she is still in the working on it stage.....
Plus I just returned from a month in Italy, So it's time to get back to her.

Buongiorno, JJJ

Quick Reply: 2006 A8 cigarette lighters, cup holder lights and vent lights not working