A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 A8l Adaptive Headlight Dry wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 A8l Adaptive Headlight Dry wiring harness

Anybody can help with replacing or fixing the wiring harnesses on 2006 A8l Adaptive headlight? I got code error 02628, sensor for swivel module position right not a plausible signal, thank you.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Look into code more--Google, etc. Off hand, I would not jump right to assuming it is the wiring harness. It could just as easily be the headlight assembly itself and then something the sensor is not able to figure out. As in, often the issue with these seem to be the moving parts that make it "adaptive."
Old 05-11-2018, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had both of my headlight assembly internal wiring harnesses fail in the last 12 mos. The wire insulation just literally crumbled to dust allowing multiple wires to touch. I replaced both headlight assemblies, bulbs, ignitors, and ballasts.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:07 AM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just got word back from Audi about my headlamps, and they say my adaptive aiming wiring is broken. They said on the older A6 and A8s, those wirings that would control the aiming of the lights would become brittle and break over time. Unfortunately the MIL comes on the dash when this happens and is annoying. You'd have to replace the assembly to get these working again.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by a_very_naudi_guy
I just got word back from Audi about my headlamps, and they say my adaptive aiming wiring is broken. They said on the older A6 and A8s, those wirings that would control the aiming of the lights would become brittle and break over time. Unfortunately the MIL comes on the dash when this happens and is annoying. You'd have to replace the assembly to get these working again.
I've read on this board you can remove the headlight to open it...locate the broken wire and solder it back together. You must remove the front bumper to get the light out, but it isn't hard to do just time consuming. I need to do this soon as the flashing light on dash drives me nuts.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:19 AM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Aceler8
I've read on this board you can remove the headlight to open it...locate the broken wire and solder it back together. You must remove the front bumper to get the light out, but it isn't hard to do just time consuming. I need to do this soon as the flashing light on dash drives me nuts.
Not sure about opening the light up, but I can say from watching the Audi technician that you do NOT need to remove the bumper in order to remove the headlamp assembly! He was able to push on certain areas and get the light to pop out completely. I saw him do it and asked him what he did. He did mention however that, when reinserting, be careful of the sharp edge of the corner of the headlight so it can't scratch it.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

When my headlamp started throwing errors, I took it apart and re-insulated all of the wires. It was pointless. In the end I had to replace the headlamp assembly.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by richard-tx
When my headlamp started throwing errors, I took it apart and re-insulated all of the wires. It was pointless. In the end I had to replace the headlamp assembly.
did you roll the dice with a used headlight unit or purchase new?
Old 05-17-2018, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default how come...

Originally Posted by richard-tx
if the wires were bare , and then you insulated them so they could not short-out what was the problem that necessitated replacement ?
Old 08-17-2019, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ohsigmachi
I had both of my headlight assembly internal wiring harnesses fail in the last 12 mos. The wire insulation just literally crumbled to dust allowing multiple wires to touch. I replaced both headlight assemblies, bulbs, ignitors, and ballasts.
I bought an 06 A8 a few months ago. I have the same problem with crumbling insulation in my headlight assemblies. I’m so discussed. I’ve replaced an engine mount (weren’t these cars built for autobahn?) abs control module, and a long list of other things. Most of them I get it but engine mount and both headlight assemblies? My first German car. Not impressed. I expect wiring to hold up for at least 15 years. I’ve never had wires crumble on vehicles built as far back as the 50s and 60s. No solutions here just a chance to vent

Quick Reply: 2006 A8l Adaptive Headlight Dry wiring harness