A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 A8 Front End Collision

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 02:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 A8 Front End Collision

This past Saturday I was in a front end collision with my 2007 A8. I t-boned the drivers side of a car that ran a red light. Everyone was okay.

I am not sure how fast I was moving as I started from a complete stop at a stop light. I figure somewhere between 15-20mph; as I had to cross two lanes to get into the other driver's lane. So, I didn't have that much time to get to the speed limit. But then again, the car can definitely get up to speed pretty quickly.

The front bumper, grill, hood and side panels are all bent. Radiator, condenser, lights, light washer, parking sensors and adaptive cruise control sensors will all have to be replaced. Who knows what else they will find. I attached some pictures.

I estimate the car has a value of anywhere between $17k to $24k. The lower being average to rough valuation per NADA, Black Book, Edumnds and KBB. Car had a prior accident (another owner), so that is why I grabbed rough to average value. The higher would be used car retail price (probably without accidents). Not knowing exactly the methodology the insurance company will use to value the car, but with the range provided, will the insurance company make an attempt to repair or total it? Should I even let them try to repair the car. I have no idea what lies behind the grill and what else could have been damaged. Any thoughts?
Attached Images      
Old 03-26-2014, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default A D4 scenario similar to this playing out; likely total; likely what you want

For OP, see this thread on the D4 board playing out now. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=24545461

Forget the diatribes here and there from a few debating insurance stuff and focus on the D4 owner's first post and then his updates--especially where about a week ago he realized even if car got fixed he wouldn't want it so moved on mentally toward getting a replacement. Yours perhaps is more bolt on stuff while his clearly had frame and core non bolt on type problems that can take months to get done.

Off hand, I immediately see both fenders, most of the grill area and the hood. Wouldn't be surprised to see that add up to better part of $10K, assuming it is just (serious) superficial damage and paint. TBD would be any damage back into the front frame rails, hit to the front to the motor, radiator damage and even broken plastic mounting tabs for the headlights. The first two could easily tip it to a total, things like the latter two could add another thousand +, each.

If you want a higher and probably more accurate estimate, get it to an authorized Audi aluminum repair shop. There are indy ones that have been certified, at least in my area. That issue of choice of shops (and inherent biases around totaling) comes up a bunch in the D4 post too.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That is likely totaled
Old 03-26-2014, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Ouch. Glad all ok though. That will be a pricey repair as it will need an all new front end, as well as a bunch of internal bits and pieces. Did the airbags fire? Hope the main chassis rails are still straight.

It will probably be totaled by the insurance co. though given it's history.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

That is totaled for sure. Mine was about that damage and the total was a little north of 25K for the repairs. If they would have offered me a fair value I would have totaled mine but I got mine fixed.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

It doesn't look like terrible damage. I would guess if the front doors do not have any damage, the front clip should not be a problem. I did a similar repair to my wife's 04' Passat. It also does not appear your airbags deployed? That is some money savings there as well. If this happened to me I would probably repair and upgrade as TSHong did with his car.
I notice the CT plate. Where abouts in CT? I'm in Manchester. You can PM me if desired.
Good luck with the car, glad everyone was ok.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I am glad that all are OK. Not sure just from pictures, but it looks like front is bent to the left, including main rails. If that is the case repair would be very expensive.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
For OP, see this thread on the D4 board playing out now. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=24545461

Forget the diatribes here and there from a few debating insurance stuff and focus on the D4 owner's first post and then his updates--especially where about a week ago he realized even if car got fixed he wouldn't want it so moved on mentally toward getting a replacement. Yours perhaps is more bolt on stuff while his clearly had frame and core non bolt on type problems that can take months to get done.

Off hand, I immediately see both fenders, most of the grill area and the hood. Wouldn't be surprised to see that add up to better part of $10K, assuming it is just (serious) superficial damage and paint. TBD would be any damage back into the front frame rails, hit to the front to the motor, radiator damage and even broken plastic mounting tabs for the headlights. The first two could easily tip it to a total, things like the latter two could add another thousand +, each.

If you want a higher and probably more accurate estimate, get it to an authorized Audi aluminum repair shop. There are indy ones that have been certified, at least in my area. That issue of choice of shops (and inherent biases around totaling) comes up a bunch in the D4 post too.
Thank you for the link. Very enlightening and informative. I figure I am in for a bit of a process with the insurance companies, but at least I have good information with which to protect myself.

My feeling is that it will be totaled, eventually. Fortunately I was already mulling over trading in the car for something else. When I saw the other driver, my first thought was brake and brace for impact. Second thought was, new car. Third thought, check if the other driver is okay. I cannot see myself keeping it if repaired. My hope is that they total it and I move on to the next one immediately. I will definitely have it sent to a certified Audi shop.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TSHong
That is totaled for sure. Mine was about that damage and the total was a little north of 25K for the repairs. If they would have offered me a fair value I would have totaled mine but I got mine fixed.
How does your car drive after the repair? It's incredible how expensive it is to repair these types of cars. Without really looking into the car, the auto body shop where the car was initially towed to thought it was an $8K job. I told him that I doubted it. We'll see.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 1Wasserwerks
It doesn't look like terrible damage. I would guess if the front doors do not have any damage, the front clip should not be a problem. I did a similar repair to my wife's 04' Passat. It also does not appear your airbags deployed? That is some money savings there as well. If this happened to me I would probably repair and upgrade as TSHong did with his car.
I notice the CT plate. Where abouts in CT? I'm in Manchester. You can PM me if desired.
Good luck with the car, glad everyone was ok.
Happened down in Stamford trying to get on 95 on ramp.

Quick Reply: 2007 A8 Front End Collision