A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 S8 TPMS help/advice please

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 S8 TPMS help/advice please

Some background, when purchased it had the TPMS warning them on checking the car didn’t have any wheel sensors fitted. There were other more pressing issues to deal with so I disabled the TPMS through VCDS.

I am now looking to get the TPMS back up and running, so purchased 5 433mhz sensors from TPMS247, had them fitted and recoded the car back to how it was when I purchased it (0232428). Started it up, clicked change wheels and drove it for 20 minutes but still had the TPMS warning, VCDS code:

01521 – Sensor for tire pressure
002 Lower Limit Exceeded.

I went into the measuring blocks and there is a reading for the 2 front wheels, but it is not recognizing the 2 rear wheels or the spare. Which I thought was a little strange that 3 out of 5 new sensors are bad.

I also went into the advance blocks and have a look at the Offset Antenna (which I presume get the signal from the wheel sensors), All 4 showed actual voltages of 1.94v and Antenna Level voltages of 0.02-0.06v.

Whilst I am no expert and hence looking for advice it would seem that the Antenna’s in the car are working, but it cannot find the rear wheel and spare TPMS sensors. I get that this could be 3 bad sensors but that would surprise me, 1 or2 I get or random around the car, but all the rear sensors and spare being bad seem an odd chance.

The plan to easily test this over the coming days is to swap a rear and front wheel, go through the change wheels in MMI and then check the measuring blocks.

I just wanted to check with people that have gone through this if they have experienced anything similar, I’ve done some research and most seem to fit new sensors and the TMPS after initializing works fine.

Could it be that my car is incorrectly coded for the rear axle?, its coded as follows:
02 – Audi
3 – NA 433mhz
2 – 0.2bar front axle partial load I
4 – 0.4bar front axle partial load II
2 – 0.2bar rear axle full load I
8 – 0.8bar rear axle full load II

Any tips or advice is working through this would be appreciated vs randomly swapping wheel sensors out at $$$

Old 11-21-2018, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I would start with swapping the wheels as you suggested. If it moves around, you know its the battery in the device that is dead (or the device is dead) and you can move forward. If it doesn't, you can start troubleshooting.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:15 AM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Whoever Installed Your Sensors

Originally Posted by d6lc
Some background, when purchased it had the TPMS warning them on checking the car didn’t have any wheel sensors fitted. There were other more pressing issues to deal with so I disabled the TPMS through VCDS.

I am now looking to get the TPMS back up and running, so purchased 5 433mhz sensors from TPMS247, had them fitted and recoded the car back to how it was when I purchased it (0232428). Started it up, clicked change wheels and drove it for 20 minutes but still had the TPMS warning, VCDS code:

01521 – Sensor for tire pressure
002 Lower Limit Exceeded.

I went into the measuring blocks and there is a reading for the 2 front wheels, but it is not recognizing the 2 rear wheels or the spare. Which I thought was a little strange that 3 out of 5 new sensors are bad.

I also went into the advance blocks and have a look at the Offset Antenna (which I presume get the signal from the wheel sensors), All 4 showed actual voltages of 1.94v and Antenna Level voltages of 0.02-0.06v.

Whilst I am no expert and hence looking for advice it would seem that the Antenna’s in the car are working, but it cannot find the rear wheel and spare TPMS sensors. I get that this could be 3 bad sensors but that would surprise me, 1 or2 I get or random around the car, but all the rear sensors and spare being bad seem an odd chance.

The plan to easily test this over the coming days is to swap a rear and front wheel, go through the change wheels in MMI and then check the measuring blocks.

I just wanted to check with people that have gone through this if they have experienced anything similar, I’ve done some research and most seem to fit new sensors and the TMPS after initializing works fine.

Could it be that my car is incorrectly coded for the rear axle?, its coded as follows:
02 – Audi
3 – NA 433mhz
2 – 0.2bar front axle partial load I
4 – 0.4bar front axle partial load II
2 – 0.2bar rear axle full load I
8 – 0.8bar rear axle full load II

Any tips or advice is working through this would be appreciated vs randomly swapping wheel sensors out at $$$
should have told you if the sensors were bad as they need to activate them and scan them to determine they are transmitting. Ask them or take your car back and have the sensors scanned.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default The coding appears to be tampered with

You need to go back and recode it for starters. Find the correct settings for it. In plain English those look like junk to me. Do the math: a bar is basically atmospheric pressure, or around 14.5 PSI at sea level. So with those settings, 0.2 bar is 3 PSI. Not 30, three! It amazes me what some folks do to completely hack a car when they don't understand the underlying system. I don't recall exactly the settings on mine from the factory coding, but they were something around 2.0 bar IIRC. It may vary based on wheel size and motor, so you want the S8 group of settings.

After that BTW, I get sense you are talking aftermarket sensors. Some/many work fine, but once in a while there can be issues there too. OES were made by Beru. The business has since been sold and is now sold under the Hub brand name. Pricy, but those are the OES equivalent. USA frequency used is 433MHz.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-21-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
You need to go back and recode it for starters. Find the correct settings for it. In plain English those look like junk to me. Do the math: a bar is basically atmospheric pressure, or around 15 PSI at sea level. So with those settings, 0.2 bar is 3 PSI. Not 30, three! It amazes me what some folks do to completely hack a car when they don't understand the underlying system. I don't recall exactly the settings on mine from the factory coding, but they were something around 2.0 bar IIRC. It may vary based on wheel size and motor, so you want the S8 group of settings.

After that BTW, I get sense you are talking aftermarket sensors. Some/many work fine, but once in a while there can be issues there too. OES were made by Beru. The business has since been sold and is now sold under the Hub brand name. Pricy, but those are the OES equivalent. USA frequency used is 433MHz.
Thanks for the feedback, the factory settings are exactly what I am looking for, I haven't changed any of them just the the disable and enable. As an FYI I took a photo of the coding wizard when I was looking at it and the axle coding variations are in the decimals IE from 0.0 - 0.9. However VCDS seems to show that that car isnt recognizing the rear sensors so I'm not sure the coding at this stage makes any difference.

If anyone has or remembers their factory coding I would very much appreciate it.

Does anyone know of any specific coding for the sensors outside of the 315 - 433mhz and ROW vs NA?
Old 11-21-2018, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I think I have worked out the issue, and it’s my own stupidity

When I ordered the sensors I also ordered a set of sensors for a BMW at the same time, and you guessed it they are both 433mhz.

When they arrived there were 9 orange sensors in the bag, I picked 5 and got them fitted.

On checking the invoice shows 2 different references, and on close up checked and there is a reference # on the sensors and I’ve fitted 3 BMW sensors to the S8

Car is is booked in on Monday to get them swapped, I hope this fixes it and that I only have embarrassment to deal with vs an issue with the car.