A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 D3 4.2 MMI Programming

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 D3 4.2 MMI Programming

Anyone have any idea how much the dealer will hit me for to reprogram an MMI? I had a new battery installed by an indy shop (OEM battery) but they did not have the software for the programming. They tell me it is a dealer job. Thanks!
Old 12-13-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

See your battery thread for my reply. At least in terms you state, they really have nothing to do with each other. If MMI is working--screen comes up and displays, drive on. If it is haywire, it's something else.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:03 AM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you just need to do adaptation for the battery, you should be doing it with your own Ross-tech Vag-Com/VCDS. Gotta have one of these, it's crucial. Who knows what Audi will charge to program that. THere's many other things that are easily programmed, reset, fixed, etc. with the VCDS. I fixed steering wheel tilt issues , headlight aiming, service interval stuff, suspension , radio, TPMS, all kinds of things with it plus it tells you what's the haps with your vehicle.

I bought mine for $160 shipped or so from an Australian site called Total something.. instead of the $400 from Rosstech. It's the same cable etc, just the VCDS software limited to ver12 I think. It's great. Love it.

Regards
Old 12-16-2018, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by a_very_naudi_guy
If you just need to do adaptation for the battery, you should be doing it with your own Ross-tech Vag-Com/VCDS. Gotta have one of these, it's crucial. Who knows what Audi will charge to program that. THere's many other things that are easily programmed, reset, fixed, etc. with the VCDS. I fixed steering wheel tilt issues , headlight aiming, service interval stuff, suspension , radio, TPMS, all kinds of things with it plus it tells you what's the haps with your vehicle.

I bought mine for $160 shipped or so from an Australian site called Total something.. instead of the $400 from Rosstech. It's the same cable etc, just the VCDS software limited to ver12 I think. It's great. Love it.

Regards
Rosstech's cable isn't $400, it's $200. It is helpful for anyone who plans to do any DIY repairs. Sometimes it's just another thing to help with diagnosis, other times it is absolutely necessary.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I would say, if your indy shop does not have the appropriate software to work on your car, find a different Indy. Mine can actually do software upgrades and reset mobilizer issues.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Morning MP4.2+6.0,
First thanks for all your feedback over the years. You were helpful with my D2 which I still have as well as my current 2008 D3 which now has over 200k miles on it albeit I replaced the motor with one with 50K miles on it earlier this year. But on to my issue. The ECU got wet after running through a car wash and it was replaced. Given my battery had 5+ years on it I replaced it with an OEM unit as well at the same time. Was told the car needed reprogramming after ECU and battery install and now my MMI is non-functional. Tech feels the problem may lie with a broken wire in the vicinity of the glove box given they had to work in it's vicinity. I asked shop to check the drains on the car to make sure I would not be getting any motor water near the ECU. Would a VAG diagnostic be able to determine if the MMI issue is due to a loose wire? Thanks.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sullyj
Morning MP4.2+6.0,
First thanks for all your feedback over the years. You were helpful with my D2 which I still have as well as my current 2008 D3 which now has over 200k miles on it albeit I replaced the motor with one with 50K miles on it earlier this year. But on to my issue. The ECU got wet after running through a car wash and it was replaced. Given my battery had 5+ years on it I replaced it with an OEM unit as well at the same time. Was told the car needed reprogramming after ECU and battery install and now my MMI is non-functional. Tech feels the problem may lie with a broken wire in the vicinity of the glove box given they had to work in it's vicinity. I asked shop to check the drains on the car to make sure I would not be getting any motor water near the ECU. Would a VAG diagnostic be able to determine if the MMI issue is due to a loose wire? Thanks.
Hello Sully,
I was a bit confused reading your first post, as changing the battery would have nothing to do with reprogramming the "MMI" itself, you would however tell the vehicle it has a new battery by way of the Ross-Tech VCDS.
But now I read that the indy replaced the ECU and the battery, and claim a broken wire in the vicinity of the MMI control head, unless your 2008 is different then any other A8 I have worked on, the ECU is nowhere near the MMI CH as the ECU is under the hood at the firewall and the MMI CH is behind the glove box, is there any chance the water was so high that it got inside and ran down over the MMI CH, is or was there any wetness on the passenger side floor ?
Old 01-12-2019, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Would be helpful to understand which ECU got wet and was replaced! There are almost 50 on an A8.
The Battery ECU is in the boot on an A8, just behind the right wheel arch near to the battery!
But it's not on the MMI 'loop' so unlikely to stop the MMI; so it's much more likely to be related to the Control Head ECU [and as Giovanni says, that's behind the firewall in the front of the car].

And by the way; it's almost impossible to diagnose A8 faults on your own without a 'proper' VCDS kit from Ross Tech. And at US$200, it's a bargain that you'll always wish you'd bought earlier than you did ...

Julian

Last edited by JulianHicks; 01-12-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by JulianHicks
Would be helpful to understand which ECU got wet and was replaced! There are almost 50 on an A8.
The Battery ECU is in the boot on an A8, just behind the right wheel arch near to the battery!
But it's not on the MMI 'loop' so unlikely to stop the MMI; so it's much more likely to be related to the Control Head ECU [and as Giovanni says, that's behind the firewall in the front of the car].

And by the way; it's almost impossible to diagnose A8 faults on your own without a 'proper' VCDS kit from Ross Tech. And at US$200, it's a bargain that you'll always wish you'd bought earlier than you did ...

Julian
Hello Julian,
To me a "ECU" or "ECM" has always been an "Engine Control Unit/Module", and a "TCU" or "TCM" a "Transmission Control Unit/Module... and so on and so on.
So Sully, tell us if you are indeed talking about the engine control module at the firewall under the hood.

Last edited by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT; 01-12-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT
Hello Julian,
To me a "ECU" or "ECM" has always been an "Engine Control Unit/Module", and a "TCU" or "TCM" a "Transmission Control Unit/Module...
Hi Giovanni, hope you're well?
I thought everyone used the term 'ECU' to represent the relatively vague 'Electronic Control Unit'; the VCDS manual certainly uses the term to refer to the control units in VAG cars.
I've reread the OP's original messages and it's a bit unclear why a 'water immersed' unit at the front of the car led to a battery replacement in the boot [aka trunk].

Julian

Quick Reply: 2008 D3 4.2 MMI Programming